Sign in to follow this  
outside

Racism in the classical music world

On occasion I have heard racist comments/generalizations about Asian players in the classical music world, how they don't have enough feeling... these comments have always made me feel somewhat sick to my stomach.

I am posting this for anyone who may be a victim of this false belief and for everyone who loves beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ningfengviolin...u/1/KcK_nweBfmw

The Bach Andante by Ningfeng. I have listened to many versions of this piece and this brought tears to my eyes.

On occasion I have heard racist comments/generalizations about Asian players in the classical music world, how they don't have enough feeling... these comments have always made me feel somewhat sick to my stomach.

I am posting this for anyone who may be a victim of this false belief and for everyone who loves beauty.

The Bach Andante by Ningfeng. I have listened to many versions of this piece and this brought tears to my eyes.

The performance, while heartfelt and genuine, is not very good at following Bach's lines. The performer, regardless of whether he is Asian or not, does not show much scholarship in interpreting Bach.

Teo

The performance, while heartfelt and genuine, is not very good at following Bach's lines. The performer, regardless of whether he is Asian or not, does not show much scholarship in interpreting Bach.

Teo

++++++++++++++

Bach music is baroque era music. It is hard for anyone, modern listeners, to know what is really supposed to be like.

The instruments are different, the technique is different. Scholars are trying to recover what is lost in time, but never be sure.

It would be better to keep the introduction ( in memory of a prof. of a prof.) very brief. Most English speaking people would not know what it was about anyway.

Let the music do the talking.

There are always stupid people, but for the most part, musicians tend to be quite open minded about such things. Even as far back as the 70's I saw much evidence of people embracing minorities or different races into the classical music world. The most common bigotry seemed to be towards women, and it was still rare. I've heard the comments toward Asians, but it is based on that some induividual Asians, due to their culture and family pressures, work very hard and learn to play the instrument, technically quite well, even though thye lack much musicality, this is actually (though the perveyers of those comments don't mean it this way), a tribute to hard work and perseverence, because most people who do lack the musical insight will lose interest and stop pursuing the instrument. Galamian students often faced the same comments, for the same reason, Galamian could teach some people, who were not inately muisical, to minipulate the violin quite well, leading to technically brilliant, musically void performances. But in both cases, this is not the norm.

A very personal interpretition, clearly a fine and honest musician. Good instrument, nice to hear him present what he was going to play (if I only could understand the language). Music is an international language and the expression in it comes from and with feelings.

Many find that Heifetz playing lack feelings and sound mechanical..

Ok, you ask for it you get it.

1.Many times generalization and comments about all races are often true. If you desire to allow PC culture to negate reality, that's up to you, with this subject or any, in my opinion, based on my experiences

2.Many people can play the notes, very few people can hear the music, or even had a proper teacher in order to show them the path for any particular piece.

3.No offence, but looking like your into the music and bobbing and weaving may be nice, and make it seem as if someone may be emotionally attached to the music, and well they may well be, but, that does not cut the mustard when it comes to interpretation.

4. Again no offence, but I find this performance lacking in several key areas, mostly pertaining to interpretation, the tempo is wrong as is the pulse. The notes are technically there, but it is very mishmoshed with its flow, very much the wrong color

5. The issue with music is that it is on many levels subjective, am not trying to belittle you, by saying that I do not like this performance, to you, it is great, and it always will be, the problem comes when your dealing with a crowd of folks who know,understand, are familiar with accepted interpretations of the great composers. No offence again,again, but your level of sophistication may be "average" a "listeners" ear and therefore what is a good performance for 95% of the world will not be good enough for someone who actually knows the accepted interpretations.

The thing you have going for you is that mediocre music is now acceptable, there are so few people left who know when they have heard something true to form that what would once be considered "wrong" or not right is now considered good, no one even knows , or most don't.

As we get chronologically further away from the source of the original music, we get further away from what the original intent of the composer and performers of that time were. A masterful teacher will have handed down the subtle "tweaks" to the student in the hopes that the INTERPETAION will live on. The notes have been written down, anyone who can play can take the time to learn them, it is how they are played that is important. This is something that is being lost to time, dwindling popularity, competition form other forms of music and several other factors. One may even say that these things I speak of don't matter, as long as you make it through with no mistakes and have some flair, but again I think that comes down to how one hears what they are hearing.

Watch some Jascha master classes, watch a student playing, by all accounts mind blowing, then listen to Jascha, he does not correct any of the notes they play, knowing the piece is a given, he corrects their interpretation of the piece, very subtle nuances, things that you may not even hear, unless pointed out. Once one learns to hear these subtle nuances, and then hears the same music without them, well that how a response like this comes about...

Let the music do the talking.

Yes, well said.

The extent of racism I know of is limited to the bigotry of choosing a shoulder rest. A very controversial subject indeed with apparently no resolve until after much squabble and rejection.

1.Many times generalization and comments about all races are often true. If you desire to allow PC culture to negate reality, that's up to you, with this subject or any, in my opinion, based on my experiences.

Many times generalization and comments about all races are often false. That's why they're generalizations. Based on your tone, you seem to count yourself among the elite of today's listeners. If you are, then surely you are well aware that just as the first generation immigrants who became the 20th century's greatest violinists were eastern European and Russian Jews, you are just as likely to find the 21st Century's greatest coming out of China and Korea.

At the music schools I've attended, it's impossible to make generalizations about students' musicality based on their race. The only generalization I can make is that kids coming out of the Chinese conservatory system all have magical technique.

Look at any of the major orchestras, performers, etc.

They are white, the famous ones were predominantly Russian Jews.

Charlie Parker

Miles Davies

Art Tatum

Willard White

Jessye Norman

The list goes on, they're all great musicians regardless of colour.

It's a fact that in Bosnia only 50% of people turned out to vote.

This world is slow to change, very slow, but it does change.