Sign in to follow this  
Ken Nielsen

The Good Old Summertime

A neighbor's Nephew from San Francisco came to visit and was playing cello out in the yard. These are friends, so I asked if he wanted to try some duets and he said sure. While he was far more advanced than I, he was kind enough to stay with the early Suzuki books and we had fun. There is a beautiful combination between violin and cello when played outdoors on a pleasant summer day.

Anyone else taking advantage of the good weather?

Hope so.

Ken

Okay, summer is gone but now Concert season opens in my home town with the season opening featuring Hilary Hahn. I asked her if she could come to my home town and she said she would ask her promoters. Finally she will be here in a few weeks and I can go see her, taking my violin teacher along also, without having to fly to another city. Can hardly wait!;- )

Ken,

You should be in for a real treat - one you will remember all your life. We saw Hilary Hahn 9 years ago, with our oldest granddaughter (who was 12 at the time and had been taling violin lessons from me for about 6 years). Miss Hahn was just the nicest person (just 21 at the time). She signed the CD I bought for my granddaughter and let me take a photo of the two of them together.

As a violinist, I consider Miss Hahn to be one of the finest I've ever heard. And she has the same rare, raw power in front of an orchestra that Heifetz* and Perlman* had.

Enjoy

Andy

* both of whom I've seen in live performance as well as Elman, Sarah Chang, Zuckerman, Friedman, Stern, Anne Akiko Meyers, and a bunch of others who have slipped my mind. Inspiring, every one (except maybe Elman at age 75 - that was 46 years ago).

Okay, summer is gone but now Concert season opens in my home town with the season opening featuring Hilary Hahn. I asked her if she could come to my home town and she said she would ask her promoters. Finally she will be here in a few weeks and I can go see her, taking my violin teacher along also, without having to fly to another city. Can hardly wait!;- )

Elman wasn't inspiring? That seems hard to believe. :)

The weather has turned nice all of a sudden though, hasn't it? I haven't been practicing outside, but when I open my windows and practice it almost feels like I'm in an outdoor urban conservatory. There are tons of musicians living on my block--there are always strains of violins and pianos... as I write this, a jazz pianist is practicing. He's been at it for half an hour now. He's the only professional I usually hear, the rest are students, although on the day I moved in (but not since) I heard an excellent brass quintet.

Must be nice to live in a market where you have access to the artist. Here in North Texas backstage is like a top secret facility. Years ago you could go back and talk to orchestra members and soloists, but when the orchestras (Fort WSorth and Dallas) got strads donated to them, guards were placed at the doors and it's been off limits ever since. Once in a while an artist comes out to the lobby and signs autographs but it is very controlled and impossible to actually talk to them. But I am lucky I got to spend the second half of a concert (after their performance) back stage with both Yo-Yo Ma and Perlman on separate occassions because I was with someone who was a personal friend and had arranged for access prior to the concert.