Sign in to follow this  
wireman24

Zygmuntowicz or a Joseph Curtin violins

the mystique of stradivari was so much more than the sound it was also the consumate perfectionism, and so artistic experimentalism with form not to mention incredible varnish and wood, now if someone were to ask me if any one could be as good as del gesu, that sounds more do able but stradivari, no. im not just talking about one or two violins as good as strad but a consistent output of hundreds as good as strad thats what it takes, anyone up to that, i dont think so... :) :) :)

Show up at the VSA Convention in Cleveland, and we can discuss some things, with examples in hand. If it's anything like last time, there will be one or two instruments which achieve "perfection" far beyond anything Stradivari did. It's not necessarily a good thing.

More importantly, Bill Salchow will be a bow judge. He's not a big fan of recent "perfectionism" in bow making, which is a departure from French tradition.

Sigrun Seifert will be a violin making judge. She and her husband, Joe Grubaugh, put out and appreciate some pretty "organic" and original things.

On the cleanliness issue, I don't have any special loyalties. If one side starts spouting some crap, I'll probably take the opposite position for a while, for the sake of balance. My own work tends toward ultra-clean, but I'm far from being stuck there. I do what I do. It doesn't suggest judgment on other styles.

Jeff,

My understanding is the Mr. Bellini is only doing bench copies. Have you ween anything recent?

Joe

Mr. Bellini only makes copies of three violins the Baron Knopp 1715 Strad, The Lord Wilton 1742 and Kreisler 1733 Del Jesu violins. He only does these three because he spent extensive time with these three violins when he was with Wurtlitzer and Jacques Francais. He has all the entire plaster casts for these three with extensive measurements and photographs. I guess you might interpret these as bench copies.

Not only are they beautifully made they sound as good as they look.

Just my opinions as I have seen and played quite a few. Ruggeri Ricci obviously thought so as he played one for many years.

Mr. Bellini is the only living-modern maker included in the 2010 Strad Calendar. Somebody must think highly of him to feature him in such a way.

Stern. Louis Bellini is a friend, and also someone who I very much admire. Ricci, and other soloists, have played a variety of modern instruments. Connect some dots, and get a clue. The Strad Magazine folks are my friends too. If they found that they were perceived to be endorsing a particular maker by inclusion in their calendar, I think they'd be very surprised.

Bellini's violin is the only one by a modern living maker in the 2010 Strad Calendar because Ricci played this violin for the last thirty years of his career and to quote Ricci

"Luiz Bellini is the finest violin maker alive today." It now now rests in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. where Ricci donated it.

It being the only modern violin by a living maker in their calendar whether they realize it or not the Strad is endorsing Mr. Bellini and I applaud them for this. He is well deserving as he turns 75 this year and celebrates nearly 60 years of violin making. This is not a reflection on other makers just celebrating the work of a very fine violin maker and true gentleman.

If you truly know Mr. Bellini as a friend Mr. Burgess I am sure you would agree.

If you're a player, fall in love with a specific violin, not a specific maker. You'll be happier for it.

However, if you are a violn maker its not a bad idea to fall in love with a player, that way you can get quick feedback, or a quick backhand, depending :):)

I am just curious what you guys think.

+++++++++++++++++(quoted)

Since these makers have won the choice of some world class violinists. It is proved

that these makers can make good violins. Of course there are others who can also make exceptionally

good violins. I would keep an open mind.

For an individual like me, I do not really care. I play the kind of violins that I can afford to own.

Once a salesman wanted to show me a $200k violin. I told him what was the point? I would not be impressed anyway.

So, I asked him back what if I dropped his violin on the floor ? He laughed and said then it would be yours. :)

Bellini's violin is the only one by a modern living maker in the 2010 Strad Calendar because Ricci played this violin for the last thirty years of his career and to quote Ricci

"Luiz Bellini is the finest violin maker alive today." It now now rests in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. where Ricci donated it.

Ricci lived here in Ann Arbor for a while, and taught at the University of Michigan. I could tell a story or two about what he played, but instead I'll quote from Wikipedia:

"Ricci has owned many precious instruments, including the Guarneri Del Gesù violin known as the ex-Bronisław Huberman of 1734, a fine Storioni, a Bellini, a Curtin & Alf, a Bague and a couple of Regazzi. He played his fourth recording of the Paganini Caprices on Paganini's own Guarneri on loan to him by the City of Genoa, Italy."

The way I see it. As with great players, the question of 'who's the best' is unimportant once a maker have reached a certain level. Just enjoy their work in all aspects. There is quality in diversity also.

Well put. You could replace Zig and Curtin with Strad and Guarneri, and have the same arguments take place about who's the best. As Curtin once said about his own work, in spite of all his technical and measurement equipment, "They all come out different." That was true for Strad and Guarneri, and remains true today.

"They all come out different."

Let's all say this a few dozen times.

I'm sure that between two Strads, or any maker, modern or otherwise, one would be able to pick one that was better suited to them, that had a sound that they considered superior.

Why?

Let's all say it again: They all come out different. :)

Luiz Bellini finest maker alive today and student of Sacconi. All you need to do is see and play one of his violins. No question.

If you walk into a Ford dealership yelling "Chevrolet makes the best cars,” be prepared for a few dirty looks :)

It being the only modern violin by a living maker in their calendar whether they realize it or not the Strad is endorsing Mr. Bellini and I applaud them for this. He is well deserving as he turns 75 this year and celebrates nearly 60 years of violin making. This is not a reflection on other makers just celebrating the work of a very fine violin maker and true gentleman.

If you truly know Mr. Bellini as a friend Mr. Burgess I am sure you would agree.

Stern,

You obviously know a lot about Mr Bellini. You should write an article for The Strad about him. I, for one, would appreciate knowing more about him. Could it be that he is not a great self-publicist?

Glenn

When I posted the original question I guess I should have wrote it different. I did not mean to make it sound like who is the best or make it a competition. Or make it sound like nobody else is good enough.

I am thinking about starting to build violins and wanted to know if after some years and lots of hard work could a person get to that level of building. I would think a person could if they worked hard enough.

When I posted the original question I guess I should have wrote it different. I did not mean to make it sound like who is the best or make it a competition. Or make it sound like nobody else is good enough.

I am thinking about starting to build violins and wanted to know if after some years and lots of hard work could a person get to that level of building. I would think a person could if they worked hard enough.

Hi wireman,

It's not about how hard one works, but how smart. Better yet if you know you were born to become a luthier. Every fiddler wants to "own a Cremona" and every fiddle maker wants to "make a Cremona".

But, the beam on the scales of tonal justice (in the classical music world) is a very short one.

Learn how to sharpen your tools before touching a piece of tone-wood.

Bellini's violin is the only one by a modern living maker in the 2010 Strad Calendar because Ricci played this violin for the last thirty years of his career and to quote Ricci "Luiz Bellini is the finest violin maker alive today." It now now rests in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. where Ricci donated it.

As David mentioned, Roger played a number of fiddles over the last thirty years of his career. The Wiki listing left out a rather fine Ruggeri he used, BTW.

FYI: There is another maker, who participates on this site, who has one of his fiddles in the Smithsonian.

I've never suggested he doesn't deserve to be featured. I've not disagreed that he's a great maker. I've not disagreed that he's a gentleman. I haven't argued with anything but your initial statement (the language of it, and the lack of qualification which I already clearly explained) and your rather stubborn attempts to justify it. It really doesn't matter to me who you believe is the "best", (though I think that's still a strange statement to make). I do have difficulty with your presentation of your opinion as an obvious fact. Your last sentence illustrates my problem with your posts. "This is not a reflection" and your previous statements don't jive, Stern.

As David mentioned, Roger played a number of fiddles over the last thirty years of his career. The Wiki listing left out a rather fine Ruggeri he used, BTW.

FYI: There is another maker, who participates on this site, who has one of his fiddles in the Smithsonian.

I've never suggested he doesn't deserve to be featured. I've not disagreed that he's a great maker. I've not disagreed that he's a gentleman. I haven't argued with anything but your initial statement (the language of it, and the lack of qualification which I already clearly explained) and your rather stubborn attempts to justify it. It really doesn't matter to me who you believe is the "best", (though I think that's still a strange statement to make). I do have difficulty with your presentation of your opinion as an obvious fact. Your last sentence illustrates my problem with your posts. "This is not a reflection" and your previous statements don't jive, Stern.

As I stated before this is my opinion-shared by Ricci by the way. As little time as I spend on this board I have noticed numerous times it is interesting that people are "criticized for their own opinions or beliefs. Is Bellini the best living violin maker? Who knows, but I think so.

It really doesn't matter to me who you believe is the "best"

You violin makers are an insecure lot I must admit! :)

As I stated before this is my opinion-shared by Ricci by the way. As little time as I spend on this board I have noticed numerous times it is interesting that people are "criticized for their own opinions or beliefs. Is Bellini the best living violin maker? Who knows, but I think so.

It really doesn't matter to me who you believe is the "best"

Stern, have you looked what it reads below Jeffreys cello bridge picture?

[quote name='stern' date='Jul 11 2010, 03:48 PM' post='472825'

I don't make my living making fiddles, Stern. I'm a restorer/dealer/appraiser and volunteer as the moderator here. I believe I made my point clearly enough for most. You obviously wish to ignore it, and seem to be reading in some other meaning or agenda. No problem. Carry on and have a nice day. :)

As I stated before this is my opinion-shared by Ricci by the way.
But I'll bet Ricci hasn't heard or played as many modern instruments as Jeffrey. :)

Just curious: How could one say that any maker is the best, unless they have tried them all?

Luiz Bellini finest maker alive today and student of Sacconi. All you need to do is see and play one of his violins. No question.

Also just curious, how many of mine have you seen and played? I'm guessing not even one.

I think it is amazing to be able to make the statement that there may be one "best" violin maker (of any era)

I hope I can learn a lot more because I have real hard time just narrowing it down to my top ten living makers at this stage of my experience! (and that list changes monthly

)

I think it is amazing to be able to make the statement that there may be one "best" violin maker (of any era)

I hope I can learn a lot more because I have real hard time just narrowing it down to my top ten living makers at this stage of my experience! (and that list changes monthly

)

Exactly, but a thread like this allows for entertainment in the form of stern's and lyndon's comments. I hope to see more.