Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan M.

Harry Wake Video

I have recently enjoyed watching the Harry Wake videocassette on violin varnish. I have tried and failed to locate a supplier of Nikerseeko (maybe spelled wrong) varnish and or Gamboge gum crystals which are both used during the movie. I am kind of interested in trying Harry's technique. Has anyone found these ingredients?

Thanks

I have recently enjoyed watching the Harry Wake videocassette on violin varnish. I have tried and failed to locate a supplier of Nikerseeko (maybe spelled wrong) varnish and or Gamboge gum crystals which are both used during the movie. I am kind of interested in trying Harry's technique. Has anyone found these ingredients?

Thanks

having experience using nicoseco varnish in the 80s i would have to say i only used it when i was lazy on cheaper instruments otherwise i would use a hand made turpine varnish coloured with nitric acid, the problem with the nicoseco varnish is it is too plasticy, absorbing vibrations and cutting the tone, i would not reccomend it or harry wake for that matter; having lived in southern california i must say mr, wakes reputation is not stellar i would take what he says with a grain of salt, sincerely lyndon :)

Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it maybe I should try to find some other varnishing method. It seems like a crime to put a cheap varnish on a violin you have spent so much time on.

you might try joe robson or manfios varnish, i think that would be better than nicoseco, which is a fairly cheap commercial, non historical varnish being it has ingredients that werent used in stradivarius day, sincerely lyndon :) :) :) nicoseco sacrifices a lot to make the varnish very quick drying for oil, something we know the historical oil varnishes didnt do