Maestronet Forums

Great News

PeSt

Just in case you missed this. But I guess many of you received the same email too:

"The Strad Archive, in association with Cozio, is a new service which makes every page of The Strad ever to be published available online, going back to the first issue.

Over 100,000 pages have been scanned and digitised, including every editorial feature, featured instrument, letter, review and advert. The entire Archive is searchable by instrument, player, author, keyword or date to make research simple and thorough." :) :) :)B) B) :)B)

You can purchase access here.

One day is Pound 3.96, one month is 34.97 and one year is 297. These are introductory prices untill end of July.

I will certainly check it out for a day on the weekend.

Cheers, Peter

I wonder if you can print from it??

Sorry, forgot to copy this information

- Access to every copy of The Strad, and every supplement to The Strad ever published since 1890

- Fully searchable database using a state-of-the-art process called ‘Optical Character Recognition’

- Each page is viewable as a digital image of the original

- Easy online access from your computer any time of the day

- Printable pages (in agreement with our Copyright rules)

I wonder what "in agreement with our Copyright rules" means. But as the 24 hour access isn't too expensive. It is worthwhile to check it out.

Printable or not, I am looking forward to read some of Roger Hargrave's articles he published in the strad in the early 90s.

Cheers, Peter

I gave it a try (One day sub.).

Huge archive, very low quality scans, you have to move the page if you enlarge it and if you want to read of course you have to enlarge it. Cannot print the pages (just the header and the footnote of the web page, plus a "The Strad" watermark in the middle instead of the pic/text).

For 450 USD I would expect something better.

I gave it a try (One day sub.).

Huge archive, very low quality scans, you have to move the page if you enlarge it and if you want to read of course you have to enlarge it. Cannot print the pages (just the header and the footnote of the web page, plus a "The Strad" watermark in the middle instead of the pic/text).

For 450 USD I would expect something better.

I checked it out myself last night and Atomino is right. The viewing area is very small - too small to read a whole page. Yes you can zoom into the page to make it readable, but this makes it very clumsy.

Printing actually works if you use IE8. You still get a none translucent Strad watermark across the page and a print of a whole page is barely readable. In Firefox, as Atomino saying, you only get the watermark.

Print.jpg

But the biggest problem is the search feature - "using a state-of-the-art process called Optical Character Recognition". Well it works fast, but you can only search ONE word (there is no advance search option), and text in adds will show up as hits as well. Unfortunately thousands of pages of great information are useless if the information can't be located :)

Making all issues of the Strad available online is a great idea, but very poorly executed. Lets hope it can be improved. Cheers, Peter

The index should be free... then if I find an article I want, would I pay to access the full article.

Sort of. You can do searches for free HERE . But there is no index as such to search.

As I mentioned, you can NOT search for as example "Trade Secrets" - only for "Trade" (showing you this word is found in 822 issues) and "Secrets" (found in 508 issues)

You then have to open each issue (that is were you have to log in) and it shows you on how many pages the word was found. And you can then go to these pages (or any other page in that issue) :)

This is totally useless for finding any information.

Cheers, Peter

• 1 month later...
Sort of. You can do searches for free HERE . But there is no index as such to search.

As I mentioned, you can NOT search for as example "Trade Secrets" - only for "Trade" (showing you this word is found in 822 issues) and "Secrets" (found in 508 issues)

You then have to open each issue (that is were you have to log in) and it shows you on how many pages the word was found. And you can then go to these pages (or any other page in that issue) :)

This is totally useless for finding any information.

Cheers, Peter

To search for multi-word phrases such as "trade secrets", you need to surround the phrase with double quotes. The search syntax is modeled after Google's. You can find more information about it at http://www.cozio.com/AboutUs.aspx#About_th...o_Search_Engine.

Printing under Firefox is a bug that we hope to have fixed in the near future.

Philip Margolis

Cozio Publishing

It would be nice if the search results showed the name of the article. If I am searching for a certain maker, I can't tell whether the article is about that maker exclusively, or whether it is about, e.g., American makers in general, or whether it just mentions the maker's name in passing but is really focusing on something else entirely.

It would be nice if the search results showed the name of the article. If I am searching for a certain maker, I can't tell whether the article is about that maker exclusively, or whether it is about, e.g., American makers in general, or whether it just mentions the maker's name in passing but is really focusing on something else entirely.

I just tried a days trial and I have to agree with you.

Pretty next to useless.

You look up a maker and then you are presented with all the back issues that the name appears whether it be an ad whatever or even part of the word. In the age when we are all used to google giving us a summary of each find this is veering on the stone age.

Another infuriating thing is that when you do go to the issue with your search word in, you are taken to the first page the word appears in but then to see any other refs to the word in that article (possibly the part you want to read) you have to select and load up every single page of the issue until you happen upon your word selection. Arrrrrgh!

Oh dear. What a waste of time.

I just tried a days trial and I have to agree with you.

Pretty next to useless.

You look up a maker and then you are presented with all the back issues that the name appears whether it be an ad whatever or even part of the word. In the age when we are all used to google giving us a summary of each find this is veering on the stone age.

Another infuriating thing is that when you do go to the issue with your search word in, you are taken to the first page the word appears in but then to see any other refs to the word in that article (possibly the part you want to read) you have to select and load up every single page of the issue until you happen upon your word selection. Arrrrrgh!

Oh dear. What a waste of time.

I believe many of the criticisms presented here are due to a misunderstanding of how the search mechanism works, which admittedly should be explained better. When you are viewing a page, there are two sets of controls above the page. The controls on the left enable you to search within the document and clicking on the ">" button will move you directly to the next page containing the search term. The controls on the right are for sequentially browsing through a document or for jumping to a specific page by page number. These controls are modeled after Adobe Acrobat, an industry standard for viewing documents.

As far as indexing all of articles, this unfortunately would require a huge amount of work to manually index the 120 years of issues. However, you can sort the search results by relevance, which will usually list the most important documents containing your search term first. You can also refine your searches with additional terms such as the author's name if you know it. If you tell me specifically what you're looking for, I may be able to suggest other ways to get the most out the search mechanism.

I believe many of the criticisms presented here are due to a misunderstanding of how the search mechanism works, which admittedly should be explained better. When you are viewing a page, there are two sets of controls above the page. The controls on the left enable you to search within the document and clicking on the ">" button will move you directly to the next page containing the search term. The controls on the right are for sequentially browsing through a document or for jumping to a specific page by page number. These controls are modeled after Adobe Acrobat, an industry standard for viewing documents.

As far as indexing all of articles, this unfortunately would require a huge amount of work to manually index the 120 years of issues. However, you can sort the search results by relevance, which will usually list the most important documents containing your search term first. You can also refine your searches with additional terms such as the author's name if you know it. If you tell me specifically what you're looking for, I may be able to suggest other ways to get the most out the search mechanism.

I searched for a certain maker. The search results gave me 103 documents. That was as far as I could go without having a paid subscription. So unless I am a paid subscriber, I'm not going to know whether the article even has any significance. All I'm saying is if one could at least know the title of the article, maybe that would give a hint as to the document's relevance. If you can post a link to the document, why not go one step further and give the title of the article in which the search term appears?

Ah now you say, too late for me, my day's trial is finished, I searched for one thing then gave up in frustration.

Yes a little customer guidance would be great. For example, after I'd paid for my trial it took 10 minutes to find out how to access the archive.

The instructions 'sign into your membership area' lead to a cul-de sac.

It's a pity for there are such teething problems as a tremendous amount of work must have gone into scanning 120 years of mags.

Hope it gets sorted. May I also suggest free or discounted access might be including with a subscription to the Strad or Cozio?

• 3 weeks later...

Phil,

I can only echo the disappointment expressed by others. Following your private suggestion, I enclosed my search term in speech marks "Ole Bull violin case" and it took me to the index page of August 2004. However, I'm unable to advance it to find the article itself. Putting in the page number of the article "p810" turns up nothing. I'm afraid I'll have to chalk my one day subscription up to experience and just be grateful I didn't pay for a year's subscription.

Please don't give up. This is an endeavor that deserves to succeed.

Glenn

Phil,

I can only echo the disappointment expressed by others. Following your private suggestion, I enclosed my search term in speech marks "Ole Bull violin case" and it took me to the index page of August 2004. However, I'm unable to advance it to find the article itself. Putting in the page number of the article "p810" turns up nothing. I'm afraid I'll have to chalk my one day subscription up to experience and just be grateful I didn't pay for a year's subscription.

Please don't give up. This is an endeavor that deserves to succeed.

Glenn

For full disclosure, I should add that I've just spent another couple of hours on this and I finally found the article by going to the title page then advancing a page at a time with one of those little arrows at the top. (25 advances!) I have also learned how to enlarge the page and wait for the good definition to kick in and also move it around with the little hand. The quality of the image when enlarged is very good but, it's true, you can't see the whole page at the same time.

I'm sure it will get more user friendly with time.

Glenn

For full disclosure, I should add that I've just spent another couple of hours on this and I finally found the article by going to the title page then advancing a page at a time with one of those little arrows at the top. (25 advances!) I have also learned how to enlarge the page and wait for the good definition to kick in and also move it around with the little hand. The quality of the image when enlarged is very good but, it's true, you can't see the whole page at the same time.

I'm sure it will get more user friendly with time.

Glenn

Hello everyone,

I can understand your frustrations with this and I really appreciate your patience. The good news is that Philip has been working hard to fix the problems and the search function now works so that you can include a few terms and it will bring up the pages with all of those terms. This really does help narrow searches down.

For example, Glenn, if you type in 'ole bull violin case 810' it brings up one issue from which there are two pages to navigate to, the second of which is the main article.

And as you said, Glenn, please don't give up! It really is worth it - there's incredible stuff there!

Thanks again,

Ariane

Hello everyone,

I can understand your frustrations with this and I really appreciate your patience. The good news is that Philip has been working hard to fix the problems and the search function now works so that you can include a few terms and it will bring up the pages with all of those terms. This really does help narrow searches down.

For example, Glenn, if you type in 'ole bull violin case 810' it brings up one issue from which there are two pages to navigate to, the second of which is the main article.

And as you said, Glenn, please don't give up! It really is worth it - there's incredible stuff there!

Thanks again,

Ariane

Hello Ariane,

This is great news. I had been in private communication with Philip about my own, particular experience but I could clearly see the problem was wider than that. Computers are not my 'thing'; I'm sure if I had been a young teen, I would have been familiar with search functions but the more mature amongst use need large buttons, easily read and intuitive in use.

As one poster mentioned, even after entering the credit card information and paying for the session, it was then a struggle to find the archive. I kept being directed back to the shopping cart.

As a research resource, there is nothing comparable to this archive so it has to be made to work and that will only happen if it can also make money.

If using could be a pleasure and a productive use of time, I'm sure many of us would happily sign up for extended use.

Michael. I didn't attempt any printout so don't understand your point.

Should one normally be able to print out for no addition charge? It's the logical endpoint of any search.

Glenn

I am optimistic that with a few tweaks The Strad Archive will become a valuable asset. However, until I can print with FireFox, I will not use it.

Mike

The Firefox problem is actually a bug in Firefox that prevents it from printing images stored in flash files. We're working on a fix for this and I'll let you know as soon as we've solved the problem.