i have fiddles for 1000 that would blow away a chinese violin at almost any price, ms fiddle seems more interested in getting us to buy chinese fiddles, did i mention resale value the french violin is going to go up in value the chinese one probably down. ps nicolas your condesending racist attitude does not belong on a forum of adults. sincerely lyndon B):)B):)

I didn't set out to buy a Chinese violin, just the best sounding and playing violin I could find within my budget. Had I bought the French violin I would have posted pictures and sung it's praises here just the same. The fact that the instrument I fell in love with is Chinese is by the by.

You'll notice I didn't initially say where the violin was made until I was asked, I didn't start the thread 'Wow look at this fantastic Chinese violin I bought, it's a real Strad or del Gesu killer!'

I didn't want people comments on the violin to be coloured by what they may think of Chinese violins.

Rather, 'this is my new violin, I searched a long time and I really like it.'

Resale value isn't important to me, I'm a player, not a dealer or collector. If I do buy another violin in the future it would be in addition to this one, not as a replacement.

I'm not trying to get anyone to buy instruments of a particular origin, I would just urge anyone on the look-out for a violin in the under £2000 price-range to be open minded and try as many instruments as possible and buy the one with the best tone that appeals to them, not the most prestigious label.

Obviously if I'd known that Lyndon had violins that were twice as good for half the price I would have obtained a passport and hopped on a plane 4000 miles to try one. :)

This is my other violin, now my back-up instrument for outdoor concerts and playing in pubs.

Also Chinese but could be Tibetan or Martian for all it matters to me.

IMGP0555.jpg

IMGP0557.jpg

IMGP0566.jpg

IMGP0570.jpg

IMGP0563.jpg

IMGP0578.jpg

It has a nice tone for a violin that cost under £300 complete with case and bow and is set up well but can't be compared to my new violin as far as sound goes.

Again, thanks to everyone who has made constructive comments.

Obviously if I'd know that Lyndon had violins that were twice as good for half the price I would have obtained a passport and hopped on a plane 4000 miles to try one. :)

Again, thanks to everyone who has made constructive comments.

Ha ha ha!, looks like you're catching on fast, Ms. Fiddle.

btw - nice violin, I think you did very well also.

I 'get' the bias against Chinese instruments. I used to work in a music shop in the strings department at a time when the only violins coming out of China were very basic beginner instruments with dyed hardwood fittings etc. I was taught that when a player progressed from these they went onto old French and German trade instruments and from there up the scale to a fine violin.

We started to import some violins from Korea which were rather nice but still, most players wanted French or German violins in that price range.

I lost touch with the violin world for a number of years through having my son and have been amazed in the past 4 or 5 years how good some Chinese instruments are. (Od course there are still some terrible violins coming onto the market through ebay etc.)

As a player I want an instrument that sounds good, looks pleasing and will be reliable and not prone to having to be back on the luthiers bench every couple of weeks.

In my case a good Chinese violin with good strings and a good set-up ticks all the boxes and costs me considerably less than a comparable (in tone etc and build) European instrument.

The bottom line is, so much of the cost of producing these things is taken up in bench time and a maker in China is accustomed to living on far less than their European or American counterpart. Add to this some measure of passion, along with the acquired skill and you've the opportunity to find something really nice at a price even the most cache-sensitive would find very difficult to ignore.

BTW - You may not know this, but many violins are made in China and finished in the States (or in major European centers as well). This way, the instrument may be labeled as American or European and so bear the associated price, even though the lion's share of the work was carried out elsewhere. Many shops are open and honest about it, but I am guessing some may try to hide this from the less well-informed.