Sign in to follow this  
Ms.Fiddle

My new violin.

I purchased this instrument 4 weeks ago after an interesting search for a better violin and would love some opinions so I can learn more about it and improve my violin knowledge.

I finally narrowed my selection down to a M.Couturieux violin from around 1920 and this violin which although modern had the much nicer tone and to me, more pleasing build and appearance.

I would like some knowledgable opinions on this violin, as much as can be given from not very good photographs (for which I apologize).

I know what the violin is, as in origin etc but as I am interested in all aspects of violins in general, history, makers etc, as well as being a player. I would love to know a little more about it's features etc from the very knowledgable people here.

The violin has improved markedly in the four weeks I have owned it, has great projection but also is very easy to draw a good tone from when playing pianissimo. It is full and round in tone, clear, full and bell like on the upper strings and with an earthy warmth lower down. It is very resonant, it feels like holding a living thing sometimes.

The photographs do not reproduce the colour exactly, it is slightly more red in colour and the neck is less white than it appears in the photos, with clearer flaming.

Also the tailpiece has been changed from ebony to rosewood to match the other fittings since these pictures were taken.

IMGP0519.jpg

IMGP0523.jpg

IMGP0529.jpg

IMGP0532.jpg

IMGP0536.jpg

IMGP0544.jpg

IMGP0552.jpg

It looks like a modern, del Gesu copy or inspired instrument.

Assuming that the lack of dings in the varnish is real and not an artifact of the photography, the violin is fairly new, probably no more than 100 years old and possibly considerably newer than that.

The varnish has been shaded in its application and that was nicely done.

The setup looks good.

The maple has a very attractive flame.

That's a nice looking violin that looks like it was carefully constructed from good materials.

What does the label state and what have you been told the violin is?

I know what the violin is, as in origin etc but as I am interested in all aspects of the violins in general, history, makers etc, as well as being a player. I would love to know a little more about it's features etc from the very knowledgable people here.

So what is it?

And what exactly would you like to know? :)

It's a modern Chinese violin. An interpretation of a del Gesu.

I am just interested in what other peoples thoughts are on it. General, styling, build quality, wood etc.

Anything I can learn I am grateful for.

Kind of 'Here it is, what do ya think?'

Obviously I love it or I wouldn't have purchased it. :)

++++++++++++

I usually compare two or three violins by playing each one for a few min alternatively , before I can come to some sort

of conclusions.

I assume you have done your home of comparisions as you have decided to purchase this violin. Good maker and good

quality of tone, great projection, what else it could offer? :) Why have such an expensive case?

I am just interested in what other peoples thoughts are on it. General, styling, build quality, wood etc.

Ms. Fiddle,

I assume "modern Chinese" means made in the last couple of decades.

Without stating the exact prices, can you confirm that this modern Chinese was priced at about the same as or possibly less than the M.Couturieux 1920 violin? If so, then that shows that new or nearly new Chinese (I'm assuming workshop) instruments compete very well with French and German workshop instruments of a hundred years ago, and with the Chinese you don't pay a premium for being old.

Ms. Fiddle,

I assume "modern Chinese" means made in the last couple of decades.

Without stating the exact prices, can you confirm that this modern Chinese was priced at about the same as or possibly less than the M.Couturieux 1920 violin? If so, then that shows that new or nearly new Chinese (I'm assuming workshop) instruments compete very well with French and German workshop instruments of a hundred years ago, and with the Chinese you don't pay a premium for being old.

It is modern as in pretty much fresh off the boat.

I tried instruments old and new from £800- 1300, this violin and the Couturieux were priced similarly. I was unsure at the time if I was wise to pay this amount for a modern Chinese instrument but it's tone and just the general 'feel' it gave me were superior to any of the other instruments I tried.

Having spent more than I thought I would on a new violin I then shelled out £235 for a case for it. An expensive week for me. :)

I tried instruments old and new from £800- 1300, this violin and the Couturieux were priced similarly. I was unsure at the time if I was wise to pay this amount for a modern Chinese instrument but it's tone and just the general 'feel' it gave me were superior to any of the other instruments I tried.

Having spent more that I thought I would on a new violin I then shelled out £235 for a case for it. An expensive week for me. :)

You had the right set of criteria in selecting your violin and, price-wise, you did very well. It doesn't get better than that. Enjoy your new instrument.

Having spent more than I thought I would on a new violin I then shelled out £235 for a case for it. An expensive week for me. :)

+++++++++++

So, it is not made in 1920? If it is a modern Chinese violin.

As long as you do your comparision test , whatever you get is fine. L235 (pounds) for a case? why it is that much?

Put your money where the "sound" is if you are concerned with money. ? you will never hear your case makes sound unless you kick it. :)

I think you have misread my original post, my final decision was between the 1920 French fiddle and the modern Chinese which I bought,

As for the case, I had already spent more than I had intended on the violin but decided a week or so later that the £60 case that I already had wasn't really the best for the care of my violin so I purchased a better case. £235 isn't a great deal for a case it is middle of the road really. A Gewa Venetian.

I need a case to be pretty sturdy and well made as I don't drive and have to go everywhere by public transport with all the associated chances of being knocked and bumped.

I think you have misread my original post, my final decision was between the 1920 French fiddle and the modern Chinese which I bought,

As for the case, I had already spent more than I had intended on the violin but decided a week or so later that the £60 case that I already had wasn't really the best for the care of my violin so I purchased a better case. £235 isn't a great deal for a case it is middle of the road really. A Gewa Venetian.

I need a case to be pretty sturdy and well made as I don't drive and have to go everywhere by public transport with all the associated chances of being knocked and bumped.

First, it looks like a well made Guarneri copy. Either a Kreisler 1733 or a David. The back looks like european tone wood, the belly

might be chinese wood. A pretty violin. I am sure you are pleased with it if it sounds as you say. I'm guessing, and I could be wrong,

is that you bought it from a dealer, or someone else, and not direct from the workshop. If so, they made a substantial profit off of the

deal if you paid 1300 pounds for it. I have seen several like this one from the workshop of Liu Xi that were custom made, for about

1195 USD or less, plus shipping. The fittings and the scroll on your violin look like they came from this shop. The strings do not. these violins are usually shipped with Dominants. The main thing that matters is that you like the violin. I wish you Happy Playing.

++++++++++++

All in all, it is a pretty good violin. I have seen some like that in my local shops, they

ask $2000-$3000 USD. They charge according to how fancy the "flames" look. True, the more

agressive they look, the more it impresses me. My other side of brain tells me, what that got to do with sound? :)

It is good to have a good case. Your case is certainly is of a top quality. My best case, is only a Roth. It is a red color case for

a kid. My other cases are not worthy to mention.

post-5682-1278158940_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The violin is one of the Heritage Series instruments made for and distributed by The Soundpost.

http://www.thesoundpost.co.uk/advanced%20violins.htm

It really does sound wonderful, very powerful but not at all harsh. I wish I could post a sound sample but my playing would not do it justice.

It came strung with Dominants which I use anyway but I prefer a Pirastro Gold Label 'E' string.

It easily out performed all the old French and German instruments I tried in the same price range as well as being more nicely made (to my eyes anyway).

One thing I noticed is that the violin resonates in sympathy with other instruments and music to a much greater degree than the other violin I own or others I've played.

As I sit holding the violin during rests in the orchestra I play with (Derby Philharmonic) I can feel the violin resonating strongly as though it is eager to get back to work. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The violin is one of the Heritage Series instruments made for and distributed by The Soundpost.

http://www.thesoundpost.co.uk/advanced%20violins.htm

It really does sound wonderful, very powerful but not at all harsh. I wish I could post a sound sample but my playing would not do it justice.

It came strung with Dominants which I use anyway but I prefer a Pirastro Gold Label 'E' string.

It easily out performed all the old French and German instruments I tried in the same price range as well as being more nicely made (to my eyes anyway).

One thing I noticed is that the violin resonates in sympathy with other instruments and music to a much greater degree than the other violin I own or others I've played.

As I sit holding the violin during rests in the orchestra I play with (Derby Philharmonic) I can feel the violin resonating strongly as though it is eager to get back to work. :)

Congrats - it looks like a good buy. You deserve credit for not buying the Couturieux on "pedigree value" instead.

Kind of 'Here it is, what do ya think?'

Obviously I love it or I wouldn't have purchased it. :)

The real question is about the value. What did you pay? When you start going over $2000, I think you need to be concerned about ability to sell. Or not. If you paid a reasonable price, just enjoy it and don't worry what we think.

Looking back, I see that money was mentioned. Don't worry about country of origin. The Chinese are nice people. If you had bought it there, you likely would have paid about 1/3 as much. But you have to know how to haggle.

The real question is about the value. What did you pay? When you start going over $2000, I think you need to be concerned about ability to sell. Or not. If you paid a reasonable price, just enjoy it and don't worry what we think.

Looking back, I see that money was mentioned. Don't worry about country of origin. The Chinese are nice people. If you had bought it there, you likely would have paid about 1/3 as much. But you have to know how to haggle.

As I'm not likely to go to China I'm not going to worry about that. I also wouldn't want to go to the trouble of importing an instrument from China myself and paying import duty etc.

It was simply the best sounding violin I found. I didn't buy it with any thought to reselling it, I wanted a violin that would be with me for a long time to come.

Congrats - it looks like a good buy. You deserve credit for not buying the Couturieux on "pedigree value" instead.

I was also fortunate to buy from the shop I did as many other dealers retail this model at around £1500

looks like youre trying to 'sell' us your cheaper chinese violin i for one am not buying!! :) :) :)

looks like youre trying to 'sell' us your cheaper chinese violin i for one am not buying!! :) :) :)

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are implying. I simply posted some pictures of a violin I have recently purchased and am very pleased with and asked people what they thought of it.

I'm not trying to sell anything.

Other violin fora have threads where people can show pictures of their instruments.

If threads such as this aren't approved of on this site then I aplogize.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are implying. I simply posted some pictures of a violin I have recently purchased and am very pleased with and people what they thought of it.

Other violin fora have threads where people can show pictures of their instruments.

+++++++++++++

Ms. Fiddle, don't you worry about what other people said. I think they are jealous. It is human nature. :)

I would not buy a violin without playing it and without seeing it. You are doing everything right.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are implying. I simply posted some pictures of a violin I have recently purchased and am very pleased with and asked people what they thought of it.

You are fine, I think it was just an attempt at a joke. There is a lot of snobbery against Chinese violins. As you can see, he cannot punctuate a sentence.

You are fine, I think it was just an attempt at a joke. There is a lot of snobbery against Chinese violins. As you can see, he cannot punctuate a sentence.

I 'get' the bias against Chinese instruments. I used to work in a music shop in the strings department at a time when the only violins coming out of China were very basic beginner instruments with dyed hardwood fittings etc. I was taught that when a player progressed from these they went onto old French and German trade instruments and from there up the scale to a fine violin.

We started to import some violins from Korea which were rather nice but still, most players wanted French or German violins in that price range.

I lost touch with the violin world for a number of years through having my son and have been amazed in the past 4 or 5 years how good some Chinese instruments are. (Od course there are still some terrible violins coming onto the market through ebay etc.)

As a player I want an instrument that sounds good, looks pleasing and will be reliable and not prone to having to be back on the luthiers bench every couple of weeks.

In my case a good Chinese violin with good strings and a good set-up ticks all the boxes and costs me considerably less than a comparable (in tone etc and build) European instrument.

i have fiddles for 1000 that would blow away a chinese violin at almost any price, ms fiddle seems more interested in getting us to buy chinese fiddles, did i mention resale value the french violin is going to go up in value the chinese one probably down. ps nicolas your condesending racist attitude does not belong on a forum of adults. sincerely lyndon :) :) B):)