Maestronet Forums

Bows-removing silver liner on top of the frog.

polkat

Among my personal bows (for my own use) is a real nice pernambuco bow (although the is no stamp or it's been rubbed away), that I want to use, but sometime in the past the frog was replaced with a cheapo.

I have a nice frog I can replace it with, but the silver liner (the channel that goes on top of the frog and slides against the stick) of this frog is slightly different in size then the hex of the stick, and causes the frog to wobble a bit (wobble too much for me). The liner on the cheap frog fits the stick nicely. You can probably see where my question is headed. On both frogs I see no screws or pins, they look to be just glued in. I want to swap them.

How can I remove these liners without destroying them? What kind of glue is normally used here? Thanks!

Changing the underslide on the frog will not fix the problem. Underslides are formed to fit the bottom of the frog and then the frog is fitted to the stick or the stick fitted to the frog in the making process. The frog will not fit. I guess you could try taking the underslide off and re-shaping the channel to fit the new slide, but you're better off looking for a frog that already fits the stick.

If you do take the underslide off, you want to soak it in acetone or use heat to loosen the glue. However, you probably won't be able to re-use the underslide.

What kind of glue is normally used here?

I've been meaning to ask the same question myself. Typically, on the old bows I work on, it doesn't seem to be hide glue. I wonder if it is shellac?

Whatever it is, I've found that the adhesion is generally not terribly strong, and the underslide can be gently pried off without damaging anything.

Yes, I had planned to reshape the groove in the good frog to better accept the slide, which isn't well fitted to the old frog, but getting them off is the concern. Does anyone know what glue is commonly used? Is it indeed shellac? Would CV work on ebony?

Will, now I'm confused. I thought superglue was cyanoacrylate. Guess not. But CA makes sense instead of my CV term.

Anyway, I tried tightening the eyelet of the better frog one full turn in, mounted it on the stick, and although the screw is a bit harder to turn, the frog is much more stable. So at this point I'll probably leave it alone. Thanks for the responses.

Among my personal bows (for my own use) is a real nice pernambuco bow (although the is no stamp or it's been rubbed away), that I want to use, but sometime in the past the frog was replaced with a cheapo.

I have a nice frog I can replace it with, but the silver liner (the channel that goes on top of the frog and slides against the stick) of this frog is slightly different in size then the hex of the stick, and causes the frog to wobble a bit (wobble too much for me). The liner on the cheap frog fits the stick nicely. You can probably see where my question is headed. On both frogs I see no screws or pins, they look to be just glued in. I want to swap them.

How can I remove these liners without destroying them? What kind of glue is normally used here? Thanks!

++++++++++++

My advice is that do not think of switching them. It is better off leaving them the way they are.

Anyway, I tried tightening the eyelet of the better frog one full turn in, mounted it on the stick, and although the screw is a bit harder to turn, the frog is much more stable. So at this point I'll probably leave it alone. Thanks for the responses.

The End Times must be near.

I find that I must agree with Fellow about this.

You are heading for trouble down the road with this. Look for a frog that fits the stick properly, and don't over tighten the eyelet thinking that because the frog now rocks less, all is well.