Sign in to follow this  
jezzupe

Ians J hole

I didn't have photoshop--just MS Paint--so it's kinda crude.

Well hey, whatever it may be, I appreciate your input. It would be my biggest dream, no, wait I can't discuss that openly, it would be one of my biggest dreams, to have us all put in a suggestion for the "Maestronet project" where everyone helps design a VSO, and

I will build it.

Hey guys, well here is a quick sample of the Jhole, for comparison there is a German workshop fiddle circa 1740's, I believe, played after the J hole. It is a VERY good sounding workshop fiddle that used to be the former resident Violinist for Stanford University. I do like its sound better, but the Jhole is not too bad, Its got a lot better as the varnish has cured and the strings have stretched a bit.

So there you have it! :)

jholesample.mp3

Hey guys, well here is a quick sample of the Jhole, for comparison there is a German workshop fiddle circa 1740's, I believe, played after the J hole. It is a VERY good sounding workshop fiddle that used to be the former resident Violinist for Stanford University. I do like its sound better, but the Jhole is not too bad, Its got a lot better as the varnish has cured and the strings have stretched a bit.

So there you have it! :)

thats not comming in all the way?...the file is 1.42 mb...but when it down loads only part goes thru? are any of you gettng the whole file with both violins played?

I got both though a bit less of the German one.

Well I edited the post and reloaded the file. It seems to be in the site all the way at the full 1.42, but when trying to download the file myself to hear it back it tool 3 times of downloading and replacing the existing file in order for the full 37 seconds to download....so I dunno, one may have to download it a couple of times to get it to come thru right. Pay attention to the download bar, if it stops short of 1.4 you did'nt get it all. I hope you guys can hear it. As always I appreciate any OPINIONS :) ....good or bad.

Beautiful job... It's good to know there's a few experimenters out there. I'm heading to town today to get me some oil based spar varnish...

Rick

Hi Rick, those look real cool, could you post some biger pictures?

I was hoping some people would comment on the sound, but I guess not.

Lydon, I'll call latter tonight

The sound is fine for me... windows7 and linux as well.

And?....the sound?, will you be the first to dare utter an opinion? :) or is it too much fun?, you would have worked out well at Gitmo :)

oops. :)

I guess a j-hole's not what I assumed it was. :)

Proceed. :)

Ian generally keeps that coverd up, and, I don't think I'd want to take a picture of it, nor would he want we to carve at it with a knife :)B) ut no, the J hole is merely a replacement for the f hole, unless your the curious type B)

How about simply reversing the J-holes? Now they look like fish hooks. Fish holes. :)

I also like your new headstock design better than the Star of Bethlehem thing you had going before.

post-24915-1277786416_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian

Here's some pictures of my seventh and latest experiment. The top, sides, and back are made from cedar fencing. The neck is maple and walnut and the fingerboard and tailpiece are walnut. The pegs are drum stick (hickory?)and walnut. The bridge is elk horn and the nut is fret wire. The leather strap is used like a rifle sling so I don't need a chin or shoulder rest. I like it but my Lady doesn't, and who knows if a real player would. I made my own varnish on this one out of a mixture of linseed, rosin, and amber shellac. I normally just use amber shellac, but decided to take a walk on the wild side.

I've got to find a good player around here to get some feedback. I know what I like, but ...

Later...

Rick

post-30701-1277786876_thumb.jpg

post-30701-1277787114_thumb.jpg

post-30701-1277787345_thumb.jpg

post-30701-1277787631_thumb.jpg

post-30701-1277788394_thumb.jpg

post-30701-1277788801_thumb.jpg

post-30701-1277789270_thumb.jpg

The J hole violin sounds clearer, but doesn't have as much volume (bass/rumble/roundess) as the German one. I bet with the same intensity as you did on the German one the J hole could win.

How about simply reversing the J-holes?

That doesn't look too shabby... just need to move the Js away from the bridge line so that it isn't prone to cracking. :)

Rick, that is a crazy violin. :)

Is it easy to hold your instrument when playing? The surface area at the rest a chin seems minimal. :mellow

Hi Ian

I put normal chin rests on the first three I built but find the sling thing gives me freedom. I seriously doubt if a "real" player will like it, but who knows. The 120 degree angle @ 6" on each side is ample room for a chin rest but requires some work to get it to fit the taper.

Later...

Rick

post-30701-1277823855_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian

I put normal chin rests on the first three I built but find the sling thing gives me freedom. I seriously doubt if a "real" player will like it, but who knows. The 120 degree angle @ 6" on each side is ample room for a chin rest but requires some work to get it to fit the taper.

Later...

Rick

Cool stuff, I like it a lot!

How about simply reversing the J-holes? Now they look like fish hooks. Fish holes. :)

I also like your new headstock design better than the Star of Bethlehem thing you had going before.

That is pretty cool, never woulda thunk it

The J hole violin sounds clearer, but doesn't have as much volume (bass/rumble/roundess) as the German one. I bet with the same intensity as you did on the German one the J hole could win.

Thats about how I would sum it up also, thanks for the reply.