post-24788-1277248584_thumb.jpgpost-24788-1277248614_thumb.jpgpost-24788-1277248646_thumb.jpgpost-24788-1277248674_thumb.jpgpost-24788-1277248722_thumb.jpg

Well here it is, it is made of:

Jatoba back. ribs, tail, fingerboard and bridge, as well as a Maple/Jatoba neck. The top is Redwood. Poplar purfling, Rosewood pegs and endpin

I appreciate the input,but, I will not be using these holes again. They do not comprimise the arch in a way that I like. The violin sounds good, but not as good as my F/A holes. Partially due to the shape not comprimising the top as stated, but also the location of the lower holes. The location is very close to where "normal" holes fall. I feel this to be in the wrong spot or not as optimal as possible. The "headstock" was elongated a little longer than what was pictured, this is done to aid in "under chin" tuning. If the top of the stock is too close to the A peg, it does not give ones hand anything to levrage against while trying to turn the peg. And I did make a hole on the head stock for easy hanging. It is a small diamond as suggested, just not inlayed.

Well if any one else has any suggestion, and or wonders what any particlar idea they have may or may not do, or look like, let me know. As you know I enjoy it.

A special thanks to Iburkard for the ideas

Not that my opinion is worth anything much; but I think I find this instrument more attractive than most of the others I have seen of yours. Some of that has got to be the less aggressive headstock. It seems to fit the rest of the fiddle better. Some may be the increased gracefulness of the "J" holes...but if they don't work, they don't work. I wonder if you could extend the "serif" on the "J", inward (toward the center) on each side so that it would compromise the top more in the fashion of the traditional holes?

All-in-all, a pretty instrument... hope you can work the bugs out to your satisfaction. Come to think of it, sometimes a perfectly competent craftsman, making completely traditional instruments still produces a dud...for no obvious reason.

Chet

Not that my opinion is worth anything much; but I think I find this instrument more attractive than most of the others I have seen of yours. Some of that has got to be the less aggressive headstock. It seems to fit the rest of the fiddle better. Some may be the increased gracefulness of the "J" holes...but if they don't work, they don't work. I wonder if you could extend the "serif" on the "J", inward (toward the center) on each side so that it would compromise the top more in the fashion of the traditional holes?

All-in-all, a pretty instrument... hope you can work the bugs out to your satisfaction. Come to think of it, sometimes a perfectly competent craftsman, making completely traditional instruments still produces a dud...for no obvious reason.

Chet

Hey Chet, thanks, I value your opinion highly. Thank you for the compliment. Actually its really not that bad, its just the G and D are a little thinner than what like. It actually sounds pretty good. The highs are great, its the open

G that I find the weak spot. I'll try to put some samples up soon. It could be as simple as changing out the G to a heavy gauge.

I have to agree that the workmanship is getting sweeter every time. The outline and purfling is really nice. I like the J holes and the new scroll as well! :) All of the curves seem to be working together.

Maybe I will make a 3D model of more headstocks? :)

One thought regarding the sound...consider turning the top notch inwards so that the points are approx 42mm apart and consider making F hole a little longer.

Just imagine you are GdG playing with F hole shapes.

42 mm apart? what? that would require using a measuring device of some sort. We have rules around here you know. The wood is my minion :)

Hey Chet, thanks, I value your opinion highly. Thank you for the compliment. Actually its really not that bad, its just the G and D are a little thinner than what like. It actually sounds pretty good. The highs are great, its the open

G that I find the weak spot. I'll try to put some samples up soon. It could be as simple as changing out the G to a heavy gauge.

yes, more head stocks, please, I want more sir

Opinions tend to be limiting. I'll try to put up broader food for thought.

Ah yes, limited, well I would not want you to limit or confine yourself, in the traditional sence of the meaning, or otherwise.

"We" { I and the others} always appreciate your illumination and ability to cast light where it does not traditionaly shine.

Ah yes, limited, well I would not want you to limit or confine yourself, in the traditional sence of the meaning, or otherwise.

"We" { I and the others} always appreciate your illumination and ability to cast light where it does not traditionaly shine.

Ah yes, well, uh, finger.gif:)