Maestronet Forums

Violin identity

Mat Roop

This violin comes from a rather well to do family and is paired with a nice Dodd bow with silver fittings. I have not seen such a variation from the standard, and the owner would like an opinion (as would I!)

Is this the style of a particular known maker or the work of a folk artist, and does anyone have ifo on it? name? age? country of origin? nominal value?

Thanks for your help... Cheers, Mat

post-24423-1276485650_thumb.jpg

This violin comes from a rather well to do family and is paired with a nice Dodd bow with silver fittings. I have not seen such a variation from the standard, and the owner would like an opinion (as would I!)

Is this the style of a particular known maker or the work of a folk artist, and does anyone have ifo on it? name? age? country of origin? nominal value?

I dunno, but it reminds me of someone, sorta

i would consider the possibility that it was originally a viol with probably 6 strings and that the neck is a more modern replacement to convert it to a violin, is the neck grafted, viols had c holes not f holes but i think the cs were reversed from this, the wide spacing of the c holes may indicate an originally wider bridge, more strings etc, or its just a quirky odd violin, but it looks really old, sincerely lyndon :) :) :)

Sorry Mat,

I'm at a loss, but this is beautiful! I woulld seek information from a Baroque period forum.

Can we see a side view?

Does the neck look original?

That old bow has a nice camber still...

It would be interesting to see the blocks, I'm having a hard time envisioning how the ribs are layed up. Those little bump out throw me for a loop, with my cornerless ones I use a standard mold and blocks in the standard location without the corners. I don't see how the bump out shown works. It almost seems as if the c bouts are used to connect the upper and lower by being glued to the outside. Funny how people {some}turn their noses up at modern non traditional fiddles and yet when we see older novelties such as this one, they always generate interest. Can't say I love the CC holes, I'm much more of an F/A hole kinda guy, however I did just succesfully cut out the Iburkard J holes

Thanks everyone for the good info!

Ratcliffiddles... I am amazed at your ability to id a bow from such a low resolution pic! I guess that 's what experts can do!...

BTW I don't have the fiddle in hand so can't tell exactly what the inside construction is... I hope to get my hands on it later, & can send better pics then

Cheers, Mat

Sorry Mat,

I'm at a loss, but this is beautiful! I woulld seek information from a Baroque period forum.

Can we see a side view?

Does the neck look original?

That old bow has a nice camber still...

Craig, I saw the instrument briefly, and I did not see anything baroque about it... but I did not think of taking measurements. The only thing baroke were the two cross grain breaks at the tail on both top and back that had been repaired, but it did not look like a proper doubling.

If I get my hands on this instrument again, I'll take some better pics.

Cheers, Mat