Maestronet Forums

Are any of them real???

Dwight Brown

Are any of the high priced violins on Ebay that have certificates, etc. real? I can just see dropping $100,000.00 on a fiddle sight unseen - yeah right. If none of them are for real shouldn't ebay do something? I guess if you fall for it..........

Dwight

They're not real???? They must be real somethings. Maybe that is what matters. As long as a thing is really a thing then eBay is OK with it.

Jesse

Are any of the high priced violins on Ebay that have certificates, etc. real? I can just see dropping $100,000.00 on a fiddle sight unseen - yeah right. If none of them are for real shouldn't ebay do something? I guess if you fall for it..........

Dwight

I have followed eBay almost since it's origin and although I occasionally see something like this pop up, I don't think I have actually seen one of them sell. I could not find an actual sale using their "advanced search" and listing by highest price sale mode anyway. It's possible that eBay has a "tree falls in the forest.." policy and if no one buys it, no one complains about it and then there is no "problem" to solve.

The other eBay bamboozal that always gives me a great big LOL is the Korean seller who lists his violins at $0.99 Buy It NOW and has a $799.00 Shipping Charge. Pffffffft.

It has always amazed me, just how many people (who usually don't have money) think that there is a huge well of stupid rich people wandering around aimlessly just waiting to be fleeced like sheep, and yet these same rich people seem to always "muddle" through life and hang on to most all of their money.

Ben Franklin, writting in Poor Richards Almanac said: "A fool and his money are soon parted", but I honestly believe that most fools don't have much money to start with and are constantly fleeced of realitively small amounts. This may explain why there are very, very few rich people loosing their houses due to not understanding the inherent problems with the now infamous "pick a pay" mortgage loans.

As an aside, I think the "bankers" who are teetering on insolvencey got exactly what they deserved. I have no sympathy for any business who's business model is to hide it's real intent in fine print and legaleze and then say: "You shouldn't have signed it if you didn't understand it."

With the exception of very few sellers, buying a violin on eBay is nothing but chance.

Dwight

"Loosing" rhymes with "goosing". I think you mean "losing".

Pfffffft B) . Pfat pfingers and tyerd brane. B)

BARRY ----- go to the front of the class and write L-O-S-I-N-G on the blackboard 100 times. :)

Yes, Sister Mary Margaret :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

My bad,

Barry

are you saying these high priced violins are being marketed by homosexuals? the one that really gets me is mariam, the listing says certificate but they never show the certificate then 50,000 for a no return accepted violin, who could possibly want to buy this way, tell me there not selling, sincerely lyndon :) :) :)

are you saying these high priced violins are being marketed by homosexuals? the one that really gets me is mariam, the listing says certificate but they never show the certificate then 50,000 for a no return accepted violin, who could possibly want to buy this way, tell me there not selling, sincerely lyndon :) :) B)

The few that I know seem to be about as smart as the rest of of us and pretty darn good at hanging on to their money. I've got no idea how they got drug into this string. :)

are you saying these high priced violins are being marketed by homosexuals?

Hi Lyndon,

No, I'm saying that we don't all know the right thing to do, because the right thing to do is a matter of personal preference and societal convention, and varies over time and between societies. I could have picked the example of the death penalty, or divorce, but the situation with homosexuality is particularly striking.

Bernie

Also I wonder at the folks who buy the "modern Italians" that I see so often and pay 10 - 20% of the going value. I have noticed that burning a brand on an instrument seems to lift the buyers excitement. These items can run into a couple of thousands of dollars. It seems like a lot of money to risk, but on the other hand I have been burned at the auction house too.

"A fool and his money are soon elected."

post-30450-1276883249_thumb.png

Also I wonder at the folks who buy the "modern Italians" that I see so often and pay 10 - 20% of the going value. I have noticed that burning a brand on an instrument seems to lift the buyers excitement. These items can run into a couple of thousands of dollars. It seems like a lot of money to risk, but on the other hand I have been burned at the auction house too.

"A fool and his money are soon elected."

My experience recently is that the modern Italian violins I have sold on eBay usually bring a disappointing price. Maybe that is because they are real. A recent sale on eBay of a Reale Puglisi Sicilian violin brought only around $4000 while its retail value is at least three times that much. I was certain of its authenticity as it was represented as authentic by Skinner. After I bought the violin a well known dealer told me that it is an excellent example. It would be easy to get a good cert. The buyer knows this maker's work, had owned one before and was thrilled with his buy. Unfortunately I lost some money on the sale and that will probably discourage me somewhat from offering similar things on eBay again.

Jesse

The buyer knows this maker's work...

I was going to say that perhaps name recognition plays a big part in the decision making of Ebay buyers, but then I thought "Who ever heard of Giuseppe Saretta?"

Maybe it's partly the time of year. I didn't see many modern Italians in the London auctions this past month and I suspect that people are thinking they will ride out the slump in sales. This looks like a time of great opportunity for a buyer.