Where To Buy Pegs Fit Old Pegs Of Old Violins?

Hi all,

The tapeing (30 to 1, or 20 to 1 one of the two?) of old pegs is different from modern pegs (20 to 1, 30 to 1 )

Where I can find pegs that will fit ? Thank you.

Hi Fellow,

Pegs, when purchased, should not be used as they are because they are never exactly the same conicity as your peg reamer and are often not perfectly round either. All wooden pegs, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT "PERFECTION" PEGS, have to be accurately trimmed to the proper conicity; 1:30, 1:20 or whatever, in a peg shaper. You have to purchase a reamer and a corresponding peg shaper to do the job and if you've never done it before you can purchase some chaeap pegs for practice.

If you don't want to enlarge the old peg holes then you should go to a professional who can fit them to the existing conical holes.

Bruce

Hi Fellow,

Pegs, when purchased, should not be used as they are because they are never exactly the same conicity as your peg reamer and are often not perfectly round either. All wooden pegs, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT "PERFECTION" PEGS, have to be accurately trimmed to the proper conicity; 1:30, 1:20 or whatever, in a peg shaper. You have to purchase a reamer and a corresponding peg shaper to do the job and if you've never done it before you can purchase some chaeap pegs for practice.

If you don't want to enlarge the old peg holes then you should go to a professional who can fit them to the existing conical holes.

Bruce

++++++++++++++++

I have bushed one hole, but there are three more to go if I want to continuse. It is too time consuming.

If I can buy a set of right size to fit, I don't have to continue. I have a hole reamer, but only for modern peg hole

and modern pegs. The existing holes are already too big for my modern pegs. Reamer can only make it bigger.

There are viola pegs? Maybe I should use viola pegs. I know cello pegs are out of question. Too expensive :) ( I do not know anything viola )

++++++++++++++++

I have bushed one hole, but there are three more to go if I want to continuse. It is too time consuming.

If I can buy a set of right size to fit, I don't have to continue. I have a hole reamer, but only for modern peg hole

and modern pegs. The existing holes are already too big for my modern pegs. Reamer can only make it bigger.

There are viola pegs? Maybe I should use viola pegs. I know cello pegs are out of question. Too expensive :) ( I do not know anything viola )

Hi Fellow

I think you should bush the other holes. But you should replace them with standard modern pegs. You have got to use the peg shaper that is set up to work with the reamer you have.

Fellow, you should let me help you! I have hundreds of pegs. I have all the right tools. I will give you the pegs and I will help you for nothing more than a thanks.

Do what ever you like though.

Larry Lewis

Good luck with that Larry, I hope that he allows you to help. How will you ream his holes via the internet. :)

Yuen, can you show us what you've done so far? Then I can tell you whether or not to continue.

If you want to do the job on your own, you will need an adjustable shaver, and proper reamers (1:20 and 1:25ish, if you want the original taper).

The reamers can be purchased here: http://www.dick.biz/product/713502/detail....CFVbE3AodwQkrlw

You can get a fair adjustable shaver on eBay.

Why not use your favorite perfection pegs?! :)

You can't.

Not only can't you, but you cannot fix and not fix a violin simultaneously.

There are a minimum amount of things that can be done, in order to "fix" a violin that requires attention - and to do anything else (like try to fit even larger, raw viola pegs) will only help ruin it quicker.

Yuen,

If you don't have a pegshaper (or a set of peg shapers), stop talking. The notion of buying "shaped-to-fit" pegs exceeds the limits to which one can stretch the bounds of reality - even in a discourse with you. Perhaps when the time comes that one can buy an over-the-counter prosthetic leg, or whatever, you can resurrect this thread.

Gadzooks man, why don't you read other threads?????? Peg blanks are never perfectly straight, round, or of uniform thickness or taper. I know you just try to freak us out, but sometimes you can really spoil the daily bread.

++++++++++++++++

here we go again, "the cart before the horse".

No information, no suggestion..... :)

Bruce

here we go again, "the cart before the horse".

No information, no suggestion..... :)

Bruce

+++++++++++

Sorry for the delay. Here is a pic. (do you believe it is a Strad. ?) The luthier said so in 1935

I have the privilege of working on it. :) ( I know it meant to be a joke) The peg box has some interesting decor.

post-5682-1274993878.jpg

Yuen, it looks like you have totally ignored my suggestion to switch retirement hobbies, from violin repair to womanizing. :)

Aren't there lots of lonely women in your high-rise? Get yourself a disco shirt and some gold chains. You'll be stylin' for sure! Make clever comments to the ladies, like if one of them uses the number "two" in a conversation, say "Yeah, two, like you and me, baby". :)

++++++++++++++++

I think you missed the point. The SHAPER is the most important tool. Even as they come from the supplier, they STILL may not be perfectly set up. Usually you have to dress the two bearing surfaces separately with two of the holes. (get one with 4 holes) They are a bit expensive, but worth having.

Another thing, if you are using hardware store dowels, those are usually birch and too soft. You may find oak ones at a woodworker's store. A local shop uses these and they seem to work well.

Yuen, sweet Yuen.

A little off topic, but...

time and time again I have seen you offered one on one , personal help and guidance from some very capable and competent (to say the least!) luthiers.

"Come", they say.

"Let me help you. FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!"

And you?

You have some phoney excuse in your phoney broken english as to why you can't.

You are full of it, Fellow.

I have gratefully gone to great lengths both monetarily and physically to avail myself of luthiers willing to teach.

It's what you do. Always and at any time.

Let me be blunt.

Accept someone's grace and go learn, or stop pretending to care about violins. You are a farce and a waste of time if you ignore, over and over again(!), a learning oppurtunity in this field. You can speak and type better then you pretend to. You are smarter then you let on.

Do us all a favor and stop jerking everyone around!

The poor ignorant goofball act has gotten pretty old.

That being said, good luck, and please!!!! Take the help thats offered!

I think your making a lot of assumptions about Yuen. How do you know that he hasn't accepted the help recently offered? I am of the belief he would rather learn by doing the work himself, by trial and error, hopefully tempered with some advice from others here. Some call this to be stubborn, some call it tenacity. You always learn a far greater lesson from making your own mistakes than trying to learn from others mistakes.