Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Coggins

Violinmaple for tonewoods

I've always had positive experiences before when ordering from Violinmaple and it's great being able to see good images of the timber (vital when trying to make a selection from the other side of the world).

However the web site now says "5.12.2009 : Dear Friends - I'm preparing for next season so please by patient - I'll update the webshop in start of next year 2010" and I can't get a response to my emails.

Does anyone know if he's still in business?

I've always had positive experiences before when ordering from Violinmaple and it's great being able to see good images of the timber (vital when trying to make a selection from the other side of the world).

However the web site now says "5.12.2009 : Dear Friends - I'm preparing for next season so please by patient - I'll update the webshop in start of next year 2010" and I can't get a response to my emails.

Ive never ordered from them but regularly look at their website .Ive been put off because they seem to respond to emails erratically (ok for weeks ,then silence for a month) and their online shop closes for weeks and then re opens again.Its hard to figure out what is happening.When i first noticed this supplier years ago,they claimed to supply SVS .(i dont know if this is true or not).

I can understand this if they were a one man operation and they had to close to go `wood hunting`, but they seem to be a pretty big business!

They have nice woods !

They do indeed, but I found them impossible to deal with. The online shop didn't work for me, and they didn't respond to emails. Anyone had better luck?

I don't know, but he doesn't speak any English and relies on an interpreter, called in from a local hotel or travel agency when I was there. That might explain delayed responses.

Might not to want to give up on him too quickly. What he had looked like good stuff (top 5% or so of what he had, as with any wood dealer in my experience), and I spent about 10K.

Both he and SVS talked about a past relationship that went foul somehow. They don't particularly like each other! If I had to choose....

He looks like a woodsman who goes through the forest himself... he's that rough. With me, he came through on everything he promised, but I never give wood dealers very much wiggle room, like I sign my name on every piece I choose, and pay by credit card so I can contest charges if something funny happens.

Maybe unnecessary, but it was Hans Weisshaar who first warned be about wood dealers, and I've been cautious ever since.

Anyone hear of this place called''tonewood international cremona?

I've emailed them a few times - mostly about their website malfunctions - and have had a prompt friendly reply. They have some useful stock of Harold Lorenz at trade prices.

Its a shame about their stupid website - the only way I can browse their pics is to turn off the page style in Firefox !

They also only accept paypal - but don't tell you this until you go to pay. The site will crash as well after a certain amount of time browsing. If you place an order and do anything wrong you will lose your entire cart ! Best try dealing with them by e-mail or phone.

Its a shame as their wood looks really good at fair prices - and some nice spruce too. Maybe have to bite the bullet and use Paypal, but I try to avoid it if at all possible.

Geoff

Thanks chaps... I'll keep trying. I've always found him good to deal with though, like David, I'm very careful. I save the web site images of every piece of wood I order, then compare it when it gets here... always been a perfect match, no funny business. Of course I now realise that I'm only getting to choose from "the wood that David Burgess rejects..."

But last time I ordered (2009) he was doing a free shipping deal. I emailed him to check if that included Australia and he said it did, so that was a good saving for me.

Just had an email from Vladimir to say that the tonewood shop is now open for business. That's good.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear the they are still on business.

Hi Again

Tonewood shop 2011 is open. Visit us and choose wood which you like.

We have changed system a little bit - now page works also in IE - sorry for troubles in past.

In case of payment we accept:

• Paypal
  • CardPay
  • Bank Transfer

Regards

Vladimir.

Old World Tonewood Co. doesn't seem like such a bad site for US buyers.

Has anyone bought wood or had dealings with Old World Tonewood?... http://www.oldworldtonewood.com/

Also I checked Violinmaples' site and they are still in business...prices much steeper tho... http://violinmaple.com/index.php?page=home

I would like to try some European wood on my next build...so if anyone has a complete set (maple/spruce) to finish a 4/4 violin and are willing to part with it...please let me know

-Ernie

I think you'll find that most if not all Slovakian tonewood comes from Romania (cut in Maramures, Transylvania, sold in bulk in Reghin and then retailed from Slovakia). It can be very good indeed but it ain't Slovakian ... and since the Chinese started buying it by the crate-load a year or so ago it's becoming increasingly difficult to find anything remotely dry.

If you're looking to buy in bulk (over 100 pieces), please feel free to email me. We buy almost all of our wood in Reghin and have good contacts with various woodcutters who sell there.

Martin Swan Violins

Personally, working with "knowns" is easier to my sensitive psyche. If it were possible to buy from a specific grove, or a supplier that had access to an area, there is something comforting about that. In the guitar amp world, when the then-yugoslavia supplied newly adapted KT88s for the the ol' KT90s, it was wonderful. David Manley did a lot for us in those days.

Note: The quality of KT90s at the time was miserable given the price. (edited after Mr Swan's reply)

Sorry. The shallow point was that a great (well designed) amp without good tubes is going to sound mediocre.

There are makers who do great things with any type of materials, sourced from any location. I would suggest that some makers might produce better results because they have a constant source of better materials.

The opposite could be argued, as better materials/tools could also bring out the ineptness in a person's skills. Those same wonderful tubes in a bad amp would sound lousy.

Old World Tonewood is the only web site that I've visited that allows you to view the actual piece of wood that you are purchasing. Are there other tonewood sites that allow you to select the piece that you are buying?