Maestronet Forums

Welcome to Cleveland VSA

welshman

There isn't really a fixed time for opening the competition room, even if it's listed in the schedul. It will depend on when the work in that room is completed, the room is prepared, and having adequate staffing volunteers to oversee a large room of people handling and playing instruments and bows. Most of the other competitions don't allow this at all. Hopefully, there won't be accidents or thefts requiring that this policy be changed in the future.

For instance, if there are still certificates out on the tables waiting for judges to sign, the room won't be opened. The workload keeps getting higher as the number of entries increases.....

Edit:

See post # 106

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael and John,

I would suggest the Hard Rock Cafe directly across the open center of Tower City from the Hotel entrance, either that or just an informal gathering at the water display (What would a gathering of MN'er be called - a Mob? A Jest? An Argument of MN'ers?)

Reese

I think one could completely rely on it being open Saturday, and I can't recall a time when it wasn't opened after the awards banquet on Friday night.

The competition instruments can be taken out from 11PM Friday and Saturday morning. There is not much chance to see all the instruments on Saturday morning. The convention is on Nov. 7 to 12th.

According to the President of the VSA:

Everything is moved up one day, and the awards banquet will be Thursday, rather than the usual Friday. All day Friday will be available for viewing the instruments, and most likely Thursday after the VSA scholarship fundraising auction, closing for the Awards Banquet, and then open again afterward.

Prior to the awards banquet, there won't be any way to identify who made what though, or which instruments won awards.

According to the head of the Competition Committee:

If things go as smoothly as they did last time, the room should be open on Thursday after the Scholarship Auction.

I've gone back and edited my prior posts so there will be less confusion.

• 2 months later...
I think it would be great if the VSA put up a sign "Maestronet Contributors" over a corner table at the opening happy hour. This would attract many of us to meet face-to-face or fist-to-fist.

Or we could all wear ApartmentLuthier's signature T-shirts: "What's in my F-hole" (not sure whether this is a direct question with a '?', or a rhetorical one without).

I think it would be great if the VSA put up a sign "Maestronet Contributors" over a corner table at the opening happy hour. This would attract many of us to meet face-to-face or fist-to-fist.

:)

Hello Michael,

There will be a lot of free time for members on Sunday Nov. 7th. All that will be happening is that people will be dropping entries off to the Competition Committee at the doors to the ballroom. Perhaps MN-er's could congregate, (after they drop off if competing), in the lobby? The lobby of this hotel is super huge, has dozens of sofas and a fountain in the center.

The Opening reception hosted by Ellis Hershman of Heritage Insurance is Monday evening this year, after the first full day of lectures and panels.

For those who use Facebook, I started a Violin Society of America facebook page which you can search and like, and then be connected to updated information. (Not to be confused with Violin society OR America- a misspelled page that is inactive, but I can't seem to remove.)

Marilyn Wallin