Maestronet Forums

Super glue is as addictive as crack cocaine!

lyndon

I'm in recovery now but I got addicted to super glue, even tried it on a soundpost crack I was patching and guess what the super glue failed, what do you do then, any way the thing that cured me was hearing about a supposed expert who accidently super glued his hand to a Stradivari, they saved his hand but the Stradivari was a complete loss, be careful with this stuff just when you think its ok to use for one thing, then its two things, three next thing you know youre buying 4 tubes at a time at the hardware store and your fingers are sticking together, lets hear some horror stories before considering if there is some very small instances where it actually helps, sincerely Lyndon :) :) :)

I'm in recovery now but I got addicted to super glue, even tried it on a soundpost crack I was patching and guess what the super glue failed, what do you do then, any way the thing that cured me was hearing about a supposed expert who accidently super glued his hand to a Stradivari, they saved his hand but the Stradivari was a complete loss, be careful with this stuff just when you think its ok to use for one thing, then its two things, three next thing you know youre buying 4 tubes at a time at the hardware store and your fingers are sticking together, lets hear some horror stories before considering if there is some very small instances where it actually helps, sincerely Lyndon :) :) :)

+++++++++++++

Supper glue has its own uses. It is bad if you use it on wrong objects. One time I broke a blind (window cover) of my friend house

I ran to a drug store to buy a tube of supper glue and fixed it. Only someone looks for the broken piece or nobody would notice it.

I do not see why one would not use it to fix a broken nut. Worst comes to worst replace the whole nut if you have the material handy.,

I use tooth pick to dip into the glue, when finished throw everything away in a wrapping.

i hope your not addicted yuen, do we need an intervention or maybe a 12 step program for you? funny you should be the first one to post, sincerely lyndon :) :) B)

++++++++++

I know what you mean. Your " addiction" mean "you do everything (repairs) by using the same easy stuff (save time, make money) :) "

Who gets the time to cook hide glue? Are you kidding?

youraddiction not mine fellow i hardly ever use crazy glue for wood and leather :) :) B)

+++++++++

I understand that. I did not mean to ruin your reputation. You use hide glue when it is needed such as expensive violins

with which you usually deal. You are in this business. For me, I repair cheapies, I make them playable. Anything over $5k I use hide glue.

as traditional as possible. I never glued my finger to anything. It is a record. :)

I heard years ago that a student in the bow repair class at the University of New Hampshire glued his or her eyes shut.

Mistook it for the optrex bottle....

Never use the stuff, myselfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff....

sorry just glued my finger to the f :)

I use superglue to glue braces or guides for fitting bassbars and and fingerboards. The glue works instantly and the residue is easily scrapped off when I am finished with the guide. Its also handy for gluing on the little piece of drumhead or vellum under the e string on the bridge.

RULE NUMBER ONE NEVER EVER USE SUPER GLUE TO GLUE ANY CRACK THAT CAN BE PROPERLY GLUED WITH HIDE GLUE i said never fellow, especially soundpost cracks and any type of crack in the top or back

i have a lot to say on this topic i have thoroughly researched the use abuse and addiction to super glue thats what specializing in the research means at taylors fine violins, keep posted this is just beginning of a lot i have to say about super glue or more correctly crazy glue for wood and leather as regular super glue doesn't work for shxx sincerely lyndon :) :) :)

RULE NUMBER ONE NEVER EVER USE SUPER GLUE TO GLUE ANY CRACK THAT CAN BE PROPERLY GLUED WITH HIDE GLUE i said never fellow, especially soundpost cracks and any type of crack in the top or back

i have a lot to say on this topic i have thoroughly researched the use abuse and addiction to super glue thats what specializing in the research means at taylors fine violins, keep posted this is just beginning of a lot i have to say about super glue or more correctly crazy glue for wood and leather as regular super glue doesn't work for shxx sincerely lyndon :) :) B)

++++++++++

You forget Gorilla glue. If you don't know Gorilla glue you are not much an expert. :) To know everyting (glue)

you need to try everything. I call it experiments.

Let me describe a use that I sometimes make of superglue in violin repair. I'm curious to know if anyone thinks this makes sense:

I sometimes use superglue to stabilize top edges at the widest parts of the upper and lower bouts. I'm sure you've all see the situation where the edges become worn and little bits of spruce begin splitting off. I dab a bit of thin superglue on the edge to prevent more wood from splitting off.

This does not repair the edge; it just stabilizes the edge so that no more wood falls off. I realize that the proper repair is to remove the degraded edge wood, glue a sound piece of wood on with hide glue, shape it to the original edge contour and varnish it to match the instrument. In this process, the superglued wood is cut away and replaced with new wood.

Some instruments are not worth repairing the edge properly. Other instruments might want a temporary edge stabilization with the understanding that sometime down the road the proper repair could be done. Does it make sense to use superglue in this way?

was hearing about a supposed expert who accidently super glued his hand to a Stradivari, they saved his hand but the Stradivari was a complete loss,

What owner of a Strad would consider allowing any so called luthier who would use super glue on a fine violin, anywhere near their instrument?

What owner of a Strad would consider allowing any so called luthier who would use super glue on a fine violin, anywhere near their instrument?

This is the same person who put little "Fluffy", their toy poodle, in the microwave because she was shivering after a bath. (In other words, urban myth...)

they saved his hand but the Stradivari was a complete loss

I've used superglue for many years (RC planes and other projects) and I've never had any problem getting the glue off skin. All I ever needed to do was soak the affected area in water and wait 20 min or so. If this is true they destroyed a Strad just to save this guy from a little discomfort (that he caused himself). What a shame...

ok you got me; lets just say i used a little poetic license to spice up the intro with the apocraphal stradivari violin story, thank goodness the top shops that repair strads arent using super glue... yet, my goal is to nip this thing in the bud before it gets out of hand; people need to be educated about about the dangers, to the violin, not the addict. let me just say one hack working on an instrument can easily knock 75%or more off the value of a fine violin in two days, super glue gorilla etc can even destroy a violin to were it has no value left i know cause i did it once to the top of a fine johann gottleb glier 1732 back in the 8os ended up supergluing 20 cracks destroyed it what a shame it was beautiful, even brads super glue on corners ;whats wrong with using hide glue; the correct minimal use is like brain surgery with a scalpel, it takes years of training and you cant practice on a cantalope, so all that superglueing around the house doesnt qualify you to use it on violin. almost every use of superglue on a violin devalues it in some way, i mean appraised value; just walk into any top violin shop with your violin and let slip that you used a little superglue on it, bingo bambo theyll never buy it and theyll show you the door, enough for now lyndon :) :) :)

brad it is my understanding that super glue soaks into the wood much less than hide, thats one reason hide is so superior and obvious number one reason super glue joins fail, the glue itself is strong but it doesn't soak in far enough to make a good bond, sincerely lyndon ps all that being said certain superglue bonds seem to be stronger than hide at least initially or is this an illusion