Maestronet Forums

Darkening Tru-Oil?

polkat

Those of you that have tried B&C Tru-Oil as a finish, what have you used to darken it? One suggestion on another site suggested using road or roof tar dissolved in turps first. But it was also suggested that such tar slows the drying process. Anyone here tried it?

Haven't tried it myself, but here's what it says-- "One of TransTint Dyes most unique features is their compatibility with a wide range of finishing mediums. Simply add the dye concentrate directly to shellac, water-base finishes, solvent lacquers, and catalyzed varnish or lacquers. Add any amount up to 1 oz. per quart. All 19 dye colors (10 wood tones & 9 accent colors) are intermixable to produce custom shades."

from the trans tint web site:

Known Incompatibilties

TransTints are incompatible* when added to the following products:

Oil based varnishes and polyurethanes

Watco Danish Oil, Minwax Wipe on Poly, Minwax Antique Oil, and similar wipe on oil finishes (excluding gels)

All oil based liquid stains (excluding oil based gel stains)

Mineral Spirits

Tung oil and Linseed oil

2K (2-component) polyurethane finishes

* You can always apply TransTint to the wood, let dry, and then apply these products.

MSDS for all TransTint Colors are available at: www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/msds.htm

Oil soluble aniline dyes are available from Howard Core and other luthier suppliers.

Oded

Here's the MSDS fro Tru-oil I don't spot anything to be overly worried about here.

Burn it outside and for heaven's sake don't inhale the stuff. :) :)

If burning the varnish (outside of course) makes you nervous then burn a candle, or rosin etc and collect a bit of the soot. "Dissolve" (actually suspend) the soot in mineral spirits or turpentine then add to varnish.

Oded

Thanks for the replys guys. I had also heard that roofing or road tar could be dissolved in turps and added to oil varnish. I tried this once, dissolving a large pebble size piece of road tar in a small amount of turps, then adding it to the small bottle of Tru-Oil (3oz I believe). To my surprise, the oil bearly darkened at all, although it did develope a rather nice, if weak, golden hue. Perhaps roofing tar would have worked better. I think I got the idea by reading a Darnton post, but not sure.