Gold - violin (Hinsberger,Ulrich) , played by Lu Si-Qing

http://bbs.cnstrad.com/thread-31371-1-1.html

Gold - Viola(Xu Yongcheng) , played by Roger Chase

http://bbs.cnstrad.com/thread-31372-1-1.html

Gold - Cello (Kmin-Sung), played by Markus Stocker

http://bbs.cnstrad.com/thread-31373-1-1.html

result page:-

http://www.civmc.com/enbstzresult.htm

Strangely the pictures of the three winning violins doesn't seem to be the same as the results. The winner and the second violin are both chinese on the pictures but the table of results gives a German violin first, a chinese? second and a french third.

I just walked in about an hour ago. It was a 24 hour trip home, from start to finish.

Yapkv, I don't know who you are, but thanks for posting all the links.

In this competition, the winners are a composite of tone and "style". Our workmanship and style choices won't necessarily be at the top, so evaluate accordingly. Lots of photos posted. Sound clips are more difficult to evaluate. Some danged good players involved in evaluating sound!

Chinese soloist Siquing Lu (family name is pronounced "See-Ching") is absolutely amazing (IMHO). Juilliard and Menuhin school trained; plays well enough that performance rudiments can be accomplished in his sleep, so he can experiment and have fun during a performance. That part reminds me of Perlman. If you have a chance to hear him, do it!

On the integrity side, the judges were allowed to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb. No problems that I could discover.

I bet some of you may have problem reading Chinese. Those who are interested can try google translate. The translation is fairly accurate.

go to

http://translate.google.com

then copy the address given above to the text box...

here is a quick link to the exhibition:-

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...-31407-1-1.html

To clarify about listening to the music files, click on one of the links in post #7. After clicking on that, it will pull up a forum, and somewhere in the first several posts, there will be something with the file extension mp3.

Click on that, and you will get a login screen. In the largest box at the top, put maestronetor (use this spelling). In the next box down, put the name of this section of the forum, omitting "the". Ignore the other boxes, and hit "enter" on your keyboard. They are big files and will take a while to download.

At least that's what worked for me. I don't know if anyone else can get on though, because I don't know how to log out. :)

Yapkv??

In the recording of Siquing Lu playing the competition winning violin, don't miss the Saint-Saens - Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso, which starts after some applause at about 5:23 on the recording.

The work presented here is SO clean and sharp, like you'd cut yourself on the edgwork.

True, and I expect there will be some criticism of the competition for that, as usual.

And it turned out that way for the usual reasons. It's about all we had to work with.... we can only pick from what is entered. There were a few instruments with one or two Del Gesu styled features, but missing the overall theme, as if someone decided to put Gaurneri ffs or a wonky scroll on an ultra-clean Strad.

There was one notable exception, a violin which was very free-form. Instead of a rounded outline, much of it was a series of facets.

To clarify about listening to the music files, click on one of the links in post #7. After clicking on that, it will pull up a forum, and somewhere in the first several posts, there will be something with the file extension mp3.

Click on that, and you will get a login screen. In the largest box at the top, put maestronetor (use this spelling). In the next box down, put the name of this section of the forum, omitting "the". Ignore the other boxes, and hit "enter" on your keyboard. They are big files and will take a while to download.

At least that's what worked for me. I don't know if anyone else can get on though, because I don't know how to log out. :)

Yapkv??

In the recording of Siquing Lu playing the competition winning violin, don't miss the Saint-Saens - Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso, which starts after some applause at about 5:23 on the recording.

The interpretation is indeed amazing. Actually Siquing Lu is playing almost too well so that we hear more her flawless music rather than the sound of the violin itself.

Also, for the Saint sens intro, the best rendition I have heard is by Ivry Gitlis. Check on youtube, it's completely different from the "usual", as it is often with I, Gitlis!

Yapkv??

to log out look for "退出“, it's the sixth link at the bar that look like the following:-

* maestronetor * 我的帖子 * 空间 * 短消息 * 个人中心 * 退出 * 网页游戏 * 论坛 * 搜索 * 帮助 * 导航

literally means:

[user] [my post] [space][messages][user center][logout][webgames][forum][search][help][sitemap]

If you asked me, I think all of them are way too squeaky clean and shiny-looking. But, nobody asked me... and for good reason.

Don, it's a good observation. As I said earlier, all we have to work with is what is entered, as with any competition.

We had a public panel discussion which included tone and "style" judges at the opening of the exhibition. I tried to place emphasis on freedom and exploration. Will this be interpreted successfully by the East? If so, will it harm makers in the West? These are questions which I continue to ponder. After this trip, I have some dueling loyalties. Put all our governmental garbage aside for a moment, and you'll find that the Chinese people are warm, embracing (including of supposed experts from other cultures), and eager to learn and succeed.

Si-Qing (Given name) Lu (family name)

I stand corrected. In all the printed material I had, his name (in Western characters) always was listed as Siquing Lu, while most other Chinese names were family name first (unless I got that wrong too). For the future, how do I tell which order is being used?

Do you mean, it looks as if the outline has been cut with a series of knife cuts?

I mean that instead of the outline of the upper and lower bouts being curves, they were a series of nearly flat sections, as on an octagonal bow. It was intriguing in a way.... I think a better maker might be able to pull it off successfully.

Wish I could find a picture of it. No luck so far.