Sign in to follow this  
picassa

Guadagnini

I don't claim to have any skill or talent in violin appraisal, but I can look at photos and compare them. Everywhere your instrument looks dissimilar to jbg. For instance look how the lower wing turns in on yours. Notice how the cut of the volute terminates nearly at the front of the scroll on yours.

Nobody was insulting you, my suggestions about photography were to help you. Take a tour of any decent violin web site and see how many show their fiddles lit with a megawatt of flash from close-quarters and with the violin held at all sorts of odd angles. If you are trying to save yourself $100 dollars here then you could at least do as posters suggest. I really couldn't care less about your photographic skills, if you don't want to help us to help you that's fine by me. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Hi Picassa,

I don't think this violin has anything to do with Guadagnini, neither Giuseppe, nor G.B. and I don't really think it's Italian either.

It wouldn't be the first time a teacher sells something at an extortionate price when it is worth a fraction of it (come to think of it I know some dealers....). $2,5K in 1921??? I hope that Mr Barkl got a second opinion, but again, why would he not trust the famous Mr Sevcik??

Whether Sevcik believed what he wrote, is of course unknown, assuming that the paper goes with this instrument, and I don't see why it shouldn't.

It is also clear to me that this is a good violin, and I have my own thoughts as to what it might be, based on several stylistic attributes, but I don't think it's clear cut.

First I need to say I do not know anything about Violins.

My Mother in Law was given 3 Violins in the 1950's, one of the Violins comes with a certificate from the Ithaca Music conservatory stating it is a genuine Giuseppe Baptiste Guadagnini, the certificate is dated in 1921 and is signed by Prof Otakar Sevcik. I would like to find out if this is authentic and what the chances are of it being an authentic Guadagnini before I pay for an appraisal to get it put on auction if it is authentic.

Picassia, does the "SD" mean you live in South Dakota? There are several options for getting a first appraisal that I could recommend. After an honest first look, if it's promising, then you could invest some more time (and money) in getting an appraisal certificate.

Picassia, does the "SD" mean you live in South Dakota? There are several options for getting a first appraisal that I could recommend. After an honest first look, if it's promising, then you could invest some more time (and money) in getting an appraisal certificate.

Yes we are in South Dakota in the Eastern part of the state.

My MIL decided she would take her violins back (she still believes they she is going to get very rich from them !!) she did not really believe the information I gave her.

If you could recommmend where the violins could be taken I will pass the information on to her.

Thankyou.

My MIL decided she would take her violins back (she still believes they she is going to get very rich from them !!) she did not really believe the information I gave her.

If you could recommmend where the violins could be taken I will pass the information on to her.

Thankyou.

I don't know of any place in South Dakota, but she could get a reasonably authoritative opinion at Givens Violins in Minneapolis http://www.givensviolins.com/ I think you'd have to go to a major city to find an authoritative source.

Thankyou.

She should contact the National Music Museum, in Vermillion:

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/FAQ.html

Mention the Sevcik connection. That's an unusual detail.

Maybe it's the same fiddle Sevcik wrote the appraisal on. Maybe somebody switched fiddles, took the Guad home, and left the DeutscheGeige with the appraisal letter.

Violin fraud has a rich history.

Anyway, one expert with the instrument in hand is worth 100 Internet experts looking at fuzzy photos.

Good luck. If it looks as though the instrument has any value beyond, say $1,000 US, then I'm not sure eBay is the way to go, although you could always put a reserve price on it.

Maybe it's the same fiddle Sevcik wrote the appraisal on. Maybe somebody switched fiddles, took the Guad home, and left the DeutscheGeige with the appraisal letter.

Can't see much Deutsche in that Geige, myself.