Sign in to follow this  
Jacob von der Lippe

Now official: 13 late del Gesú violins on display

Great film clips, Christian. Thank you for the next best thing to being there and being able to walk around the instruments.

The del Gesu Cannon looked like it had pure gut E, A, and D strings and either pure gut G or metal wrapped gut G. I wonder if those are the strings used when the fiddle is played, or are just display strings.

Great film clips, Christian. Thank you for the next best thing to being there and being able to walk around the instruments.

The del Gesu Cannon looked like it had pure gut E, A, and D strings and either pure gut G or metal wrapped gut G. I wonder if those are the strings used when the fiddle is played, or are just display strings.

Yes since its restoration a few years back it now has an original set up.

For those who still want to see the exhibition, there is time. The last day is Wednesday the 9th of June, The opening hours are 11:00 to 17:00 every day. We just had a great seminar here in the weekend with many violinmakers and leading experts. Attached are a few more photos from the exhibition. Photos by Dag Fosse.

post-29786-1275903092_thumb.jpg

post-29786-1275903163_thumb.jpg

post-29786-1275903288_thumb.jpg

Very nice the display of the instruments and lightning... it could be emulated by the Metropolitan in NYC and by the Ashmoleum Museum in Oxford.

That is how the instrument is normally displayed. In the earliest photographs from the late 1800's it is this way and when the setup was re-done it was fitted with copies of the original fittings as seen in these earliest photographs. This is as close as you can get to the way the instrument was set up when Paganini died. The G string is wound in silver.

Bruce

Very nice the display of the instruments and lightning... it could be emulated by the Metropolitan in NYC and by the Ashmoleum Museum in Oxford.

In my opinion the lighting is too high for instruments in long-term exposition. The light on the "Cannone" was set at 50 lux. On a permanent exhibit ideally the lights should go on with a sensor when somebody comes near to the to observe the instrument and off when they go away.

Jacob von der Lippe, Yngve Magnusson (curator), Harald Herrestahl (Ole Bull historian) and the organisers and the Museum should all be congaratulated for the fine exhibition.

Bruce

For those who are curious to see how the violin made by seven different makers turned out, I've made some quick shots. The violin was made in six weeks in April/May 2010 in Bergen, during the Ole Bull celebration. The seven makers were: Patrick Robin, Michael Stürzenhofecker, Frédéric Chaudiere, Nicolas Gilles, Andreas Hellinge, Silvio Levaggi and Jacob von der Lippe. The violin is now part of the Dextra Musica collection, and will be played by a norwegian violinist.

Thanks to everybody who came to the exhibit, it was an amazing experience!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6944...mp;id=530576744

Jacob, was there a catalog published for the exhibition and / or will there be a future book on the instruments shown during the exhibition?

Cheers, Peter

Jacob, was there a catalog published for the exhibition and / or will there be a future book on the instruments shown during the exhibition?

Cheers, Peter

Yes, there was three catalogues made for the exhibition. One with the 25 old Dextra Musica instruments, one with the 12 late del Gesús, and a small one with the 11 modern makers involved in Dextra Musica. I sell all three of them together for 10 EUR + shipping and packing. Only payments thru PayPal are accepted.

Attached are images from the three different catalogues we made for the exhibition in Bergen. If you want to order, please send me an e-mail thru my website. Please don't send me messages thru Maestronet Messenger.

Yes, there was three catalogues made for the exhibition. One with the 25 old Dextra Musica instruments, one with the 12 late del Gesús, and a small one with the 11 modern makers involved in Dextra Musica. I sell all three of them together for 10 EUR + shipping and packing. Only payments thru PayPal are accepted.

post-29786-1284987760_thumb.jpg

post-29786-1284987787_thumb.jpg

post-29786-1284987844_thumb.jpg

post-29786-1284987897_thumb.jpg