Sign in to follow this  
Jacob von der Lippe

Now official: 13 late del Gesú violins on display

OK, I just spent an hour or so filming all of the violins at the Ole Bull exhibit. I felt kind of nerdy, but there wasn't anybody there but me and the guards so it was ok. The Cannone wasn't there yet so I'm going to go back. I don't really know what details people would be interested in, so I'm taking requests for what I should film. I filmed in 720 HD with a Nikon D90. I have a 35 mm f1.8 lens that I've used for a general overview, and I also filmed some closeups with a Sigma 100mm f2.8 macro. It gets in REALLY close, but its hard to hold steady. Any details or particular violins that I should focus on?

It is difficult to give advice on what to focus on but if you focus on close up details I'm sure that there will be something for everyone to learn. The archings are usually interesting, but if you're not a maker you probably don't know what we are looking at. Why not show the exhibition room as a whole so we get the impression what it is all like? If you are not familiar with it already, I recommend posting the film on vimeo. They're superior quality compared to youtube. Good luck, and thanks for doing this.

OK, I just spent an hour or so filming all of the violins at the Ole Bull exhibit. I felt kind of nerdy, but there wasn't anybody there but me and the guards so it was ok. The Cannone wasn't there yet so I'm going to go back. I don't really know what details people would be interested in, so I'm taking requests for what I should film. I filmed in 720 HD with a Nikon D90. I have a 35 mm f1.8 lens that I've used for a general overview, and I also filmed some closeups with a Sigma 100mm f2.8 macro. It gets in REALLY close, but its hard to hold steady. Any details or particular violins that I should focus on?

Thanks for being so generous cdabel! As for advice, fill the frame as much as possible with the violin, walk around at any/all angles you are able to, and thanks again for all your efforts.

Here are a couple of sample clips. The first is with the 35mm lens and gives an overview of the exhibit. I walked around each violin with this lens. The second clip is a close up of the Ole Bull filmed with the macro lens. I filmed some but not all of the violins with this one. I haven't had time to edit anything, and again it was hard to hold the macro steady by hand, so sorry about the camera shake. Any tips would be appreciated, since I'm probably going back on Friday to see Il Cannone.

http://vimeo.com/12052552

http://vimeo.com/12051533

Great!! will you do me a favour? A friend of mine is commissioning a copy of the cannone. Will you take some pictures ans send them to my e-mail address?

Oslo is quite far away from madrid

regards

There did appear to be something that resembled a faint cross on the back. Whether it is a wear pattern of put there on purpose I couldn't tell.

I filmed with Nikon "Standard" picture control, auto white balance, adjusted +3 towards red. The results are pretty accurate I think

I filmed with Nikon "Standard" picture control, auto white balance, adjusted +3 towards red. The results are pretty accurate I think

Ok, they look even more interesting and alive than I had anticipated. Should have been there.. Tax work and an abstract to write before the 31st, + a new bridge + some retouch stuff on a fiddle to be returned before Oberlin + daytime work.. If I'm fast and lucky, I could manage a Bergen day this weekend..

I really want to hear Henning Kragerud play the Ole Bull and the one that was just built in Bergen. I hope I can get there for that.

The violins seemed to come in two "flavors", ones with a more yellow-orange glow like the Viextemps, the Tellefsen and to some extent the Ole Bull, and the more reddish ones like the Kochanski and the Cannone. Even those were less reddish than I had expected though. I play on a Guarneri copy and played on mine 30 minutes after I had been at the exhibit and my first reaction was "too red".

HI Everyone

Greetings from Bergen!

I`ve spent the day at the exhibition and I agree, really cool! two more days of that :))

anyone who has the chance to come GO FOR IT!!!

Martina

Ray,

I have more footage of the Il Cannone than I know what to do with. I went over every inch of every surface with a normal lens and a 100mm macro lens. Putting it together into something coherent will take time though, if I even have the editing skills to do it. I know there are a lot of photos of these violins, but I figured that maybe no one had filmed them them in this much detail. I think you get a different feel for them in a video than in a static photo.

Finally I have two minutes to tell you what's going on in Bergen. We worked really hard to get the whole exhibition ready, and I'm very pleased with the result!! The way the instruments goes together with the art photos on the walls by Tom Sandberg, and the specifically designed glass cases gives a stunning result. Anyone who still has the chance to book tickets and come to Bergen should really do it.

Enjoy some photos from the opening: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1765...70&v=photos

Hope to see you in Bergen, I'm here the whole time.