Sign in to follow this  
Jacob von der Lippe

Now official: 13 late del Gesú violins on display

The list of the 13 Guarneri del Gesú violins that will be exhibited in Bergen from 26.5. to 9.6. is now official:

Vieuxtemps c. 1741

Cannon 1743

Donaldson c. 1742

Druian 1739

Ebersholt 1739

Gregorowicz 1744

Kemp 1738

Kochanski 1741

Ole Bull 1744

Sainton c. 1744

Sauret 1743

Tellefsen 1742

Terminator 1744

I think this is a really nice opportunity to examine all these stunning instruments in the same room. As far as I know, the last time many del Gesú violins were exhibited together was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in 1994. Some of these del Gesú's will even be heard in concerts during the festival. I'll be in Bergen during the whole festival and hope to see many of you there!

http://www.fib.no/en/News/Celebration-of-O...ordic-Paganini/

Wow, that's fantastic... I've heard that Melving is now swimming to Norway to see all these fantastic violins made by the couple Bartolomeo and Catarina!!!! I hope he will get there in time!!!

Some of these names (six of them) are new to me! I would love being there!!!!

Was there really a GdJ violin named Terminator?

The name comes from the great sound the violin produces. It was a part of the Richard D. Colburn Foundation of Beverly Hills, California, before it reached the collection of Dextra Musica in 2006.

What a great opportunity for someone to take a good video camera and spend an hour or two slowly and closely walking around,over and through the Del Gesu displays. And then put it up on YouTube. Hint hint, pretty please with sugar on top.

What a great opportunity for someone to take a good video camera and spend an hour or two slowly and closely walking around,over and through the Del Gesu displays. And then put it up on YouTube. Hint hint, pretty please with sugar on top.

Seriously.

And while you're at it, do the same with this:

Seven of the most prominent violinmakers of today will collaborate in building a violin inspired by the “Ole Bull” del Gesù. The seven makers are: Frédéric Chaudière, Nicolas Gilles, Andreas Hellinge, Silvio Levaggi, Jacob von der Lippe, Patrick Robin and Michael Stürzenhofecker.

And this:

In addition, Dextra Musica has commissioned two violins from renowned violinmakers Gregg T. Alf and Samuel Zygmuntowicz, asking them to make their own interpretation of the “Ole Bull” Guarneri del Gesú. Instruments by violinmakers Francis Kuttner and Thomas Meuwissen will also be included in the exhibition.

And -- last but certainly not least -- track down the Ole Bull inspired open event that some on this forum are participating in, and let us have a good look at those fiddles and the folks who made them (when present).

Do all of this and you will be a Maestronet saint. Shoot it in hi-def, burn it to Blu-ray and sell it to us at cost -- well, that will make you a god.

The Sainton would be especially interesting to see, since experts, over time, have gone back and forth on whether it is a genuine del Gesu. If my memory is correct, there's one del Gesu that Charles Beare has changed his mind about, and that, I believe, was the Sainton.

Roger Hargrave notes the controversy about this fiddle and concludes it is a del Gesu.

Scroll down about half way on the link below to the section "Various Articles and Lectures." It's the first in that section:

Hargrave's Sainton description

Seriously.

Seven of the most prominent violinmakers of today will collaborate in building a violin inspired by the “Ole Bull” del Gesù. The seven makers are: Frédéric Chaudière, Nicolas Gilles, Andreas Hellinge, Silvio Levaggi, Jacob von der Lippe, Patrick Robin and Michael Stürzenhofecker.

And this:

In addition, Dextra Musica has commissioned two violins from renowned violinmakers Gregg T. Alf and Samuel Zygmuntowicz, asking them to make their own interpretation of the “Ole Bull” Guarneri del Gesú. Instruments by violinmakers Francis Kuttner and Thomas Meuwissen will also be included in the exhibition.

And -- last but certainly not least -- track down the Ole Bull inspired open event that some on this forum are participating in, and let us have a good look at those fiddles and the folks who made them (when present).

Do all of this and you will be a Maestronet saint. Shoot it in hi-def, burn it to Blu-ray and sell it to us at cost -- well, that will make you a god.

I believe Melvin Goldsmith's is there too. I have been lucky enough to have seen and played his Ole Bull and would be surprised if it didn't set the standard visually and tonally. A superb tribute to DG.

I believe Melvin Goldsmith's is there too. I have been lucky enough to have seen and played his Ole Bull and would be surprised if it didn't set the standard visually and tonally. A superb tribute to DG.

Thanks for the compliment 1Alpha ( cheque is in the post :) ). My violin that you mention is in Oslo right now at the Menuhin competition and Ole Bull del Gesu project exhibition along with a whole bunch of lovely fiddles that I'm not going to get to see now because of the Volcano.

The festival mentioned in this thread is a different event in Bergen coming up soon that will also have some great violins....I will not personally have a violin there but am very tempted to attend to see the great work, both old and new that will be on show as well as concerts.

The name comes from the great sound the violin produces. It was a part of the Richard D. Colburn Foundation of Beverly Hills, California, before it reached the collection of Dextra Musica in 2006.

Is it the fiddle Henning Kraggerud is playing? The one with the birch back?

Is it the fiddle Henning Kraggerud is playing? The one with the birch back?

Anders, Please forgive me correcting your translation, but unless I am horribly mistaken it is a beech wood back. It looks a stunning fiddle! Too good to miss! Have you heard it live?

Anders, Please forgive me correcting your translation, but unless I am horribly mistaken it is a beech wood back. It looks a stunning fiddle! Too good to miss! Have you heard it live?

That's correct, the "Terminator" is the one Henning Kraggerud is playing. The back is beechwood like Melving is correctly stating. It's a stunning violin with a fantastic sound!

The Bergen event and the Oslo are two different things (500 km distance Oslo-Bergen) . The Ole Celebration event in Bergen started last week with the making of a Ole Bull copy by Silvio Levaggi and me. Nicolas Gilles is there right now making the ribs. This violin will be finished on the 21th of May, involving 7 makers along the way. At the same time we're exhibiting instruments by 11 modern makers.

But from 26th of May - 9th of June the main exhibition is opening (it's a part of the International Bergen Festval http://www.fib.no/en , featuring the 13 del Gesú violin, plus these instruments from the Dextra Musica collection:

C. Bergonzi violin 1735 Cremona

G.B. Guadagnini viola 1781 Torino

M. Goffriller viola 1710 Venezia

F. Ruggeri cello 1680 Cremona

A. Stradivari violin 1689 Cremona

G.B. Guadagnini violin 1751 Milano

G. Guarneri filius Andrea violin 1703 Cremona

G.B. Rogeri cello 1695 Brescia

G. Da Saló bass c 1580 Brescia

F. Ruggieri violin ca 1670-80 Cremona

J.B. Vuillaume violin 1850 Paris

G. Guarneri "del Gesú" violin 1744 Cremona

Many of these instruments will be played in concerts during the Festival. The flight situation is now much better in Europe, and I hope it will stay that way. Attached are a photo from the modern instrument exhibition, and a photo of Nicolas Gilles working in the museum. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=176566343570#

post-29786-1271921787.jpg

post-29786-1271921912.jpg

Hi, thanks. Yes I have heard it in a rehearsal situation where henning was standing facing the orchestra enthusiastically playing with them and instructing. It sounded good even from behind..

What is the difference between beech and birch wood?

Maybe I can google it, but I suppose that I do not find a good translator site that can do wood well..

I agree -that would be a wonderful favor for all of us that can't make the convention.

Those of you who still hesitate to come; you should consider that Bergen is situated right in the middle of the fjord landscape, is the capital of the hardangerfiddle region and has an incredibly sexy dialect. I am sure my countrymen are with me on all three of these. :)

Those of you who still hesitate to come; you should consider that Bergen is situated right in the middle of the fjord landscape, is the capital of the hardangerfiddle region and has an incredibly sexy dialect. I am sure my countrymen are with me on all three of these. :)

Sure, we are! The west coast in the spring time is really beautiful. To find cheap tickets from many destinations in Europe to Bergen, try: http://www.norwegian.no/en/

If you fly to Oslo, I can recommend a truly nice trip with the train over the mountains to Bergen (it takes approx. 8 hrs), check out the option "Minipris" on: http://www.nsb.no/?lang=en_US With "Minipris" you can pay as little as NOK 199 (ca. 25 EUR) one way.

I live in Bergen and just got a fancy new Nikon SLR that also films in HD. I'll try and get over to the exhibit a couple times during my lunch breaks and take some photos and vids. Unfortunately my photography skills are at about the same level as my playing, but I'll do my best.

OK, I just spent an hour or so filming all of the violins at the Ole Bull exhibit. I felt kind of nerdy, but there wasn't anybody there but me and the guards so it was ok. The Cannone wasn't there yet so I'm going to go back. I don't really know what details people would be interested in, so I'm taking requests for what I should film. I filmed in 720 HD with a Nikon D90. I have a 35 mm f1.8 lens that I've used for a general overview, and I also filmed some closeups with a Sigma 100mm f2.8 macro. It gets in REALLY close, but its hard to hold steady. Any details or particular violins that I should focus on?