Maestronet Forums

Do you not post here because...

robedney

You got me!

See? Thats what I am talking about :) I am ashamed and crawling back to lurker's department... :)

Hi,

Don't let me put you off posting! Nowadays spelling mistakes are almost immaterial. With the use of texting and short messaging, the langauge is changing so fast it is impossible to keep up with it. Besides there are many differences of spelling between English and American English. Even the grammar and meanings are drowing apart.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE thread killers -- I think it is pretty hard to actually kill a thread here. Most just sort of fade out. But it is troubling to post something that had been very active, only to see nothing follow up for days. It's that feeling you get when you step into a room full of conversation, and suddenly it goes quiet. But here it's just a coincidence.

Almost always.

No, I'm Dave, but sheesh, that's the second time I've been called a girl this week!

I'm startin' to wonder....... anybody know a quick way to check? B)

Just a hint ... loose the heels!

That might help ... Oh and a good sheering too. B)B)B):) :) B):):)B)

Wow only 9 emoticons per post allowed here at Maestronet, we need to fix that! Insert puzzled looking, stunned, out of it, had to much to drink emoticon here as I have reached my limit!

Yes Craig, things we're waaay out of control but the mqjority of posters minded their manners. As I recall there were only a few who turned threads into foul, lewd commentaries. I won't name names but you know the people I'm talking about.

Anyway, if the moderators started a new soapbox it probably would degenerate into something similar before being shut down. There's always a few who would cause trouble.

Too bad, except for the foul posts I found the old soapbox humorous to read.

I like this.

Everyone seems to have a completely different take on things here - just as I would imagine it should be.

Personally, I don't agree with the "inner circle" mentality expressed here.

There are certain discussions I stay away from, because I have nothing to contribute, or, I don't understand the language (as in many of the technical discussions) or the supposed science, or because I believe that people are just spinning their wheels (plate tuning., Vigdorchik, etc.), and talking to hear themselves talk, and so, I would only disrupt things, and as a result I stay out of it. (sometimes)

What do you mean that you don't agree with the 'inner circle' mentality?

Are you suggesting there is no inner circle? Are you unaware that the majority of people seeking information are hungry for a response from one of a handful of posters?

It seems, judging from the frequency of your posts that you have little to do apart from follow this forum and interject regularly throughout the day. I look at it briefly once every day or two because I have a life to lead. It is quite possible that this is the reason my posts are ignored because by the time I have written them, or responded to comments, the thread had moved on in some other direction.

That is my last contribution. I am stuck in Germany unable to get home to the US due to the volcanic ash so I have more pressing matters to attend to.

Glenn

I am stuck in Germany unable to get home to the US due to the volcanic ash so I have more pressing matters to attend to.

Glenn

FWIW, airports in the south of France are operational. If the need is pressing and financial considerations aren't prohibitive, one could take a train to Toulouse or some such place and fly out from there.

As one of the people who's probably being criticized, let me remind y'all that all information is not equal, and I think its it's usually easy for nearly everyone to know when someone is talking based on stuff they've read in 100 year old violin books written by non-makers and filled with inaccurate lore and gossip, or whether they've actually done their homework, used other sources, including chemistry and art restoration experts and printed sources, etc, and done the physical work themselves to see how it works out, and then developed ideas based on that. That is, I suspect, how decisions are made who to listen to.

The people who don't really know what they're talking about can be astoundingly certain of the value of what they impart, but should not be surprised when those who've sorted out the garbage over decades are not impressed, and, god forbid, may even disagree with them.

I'm not immune to learning, either: there are several "high-status" posters here who have said things I don't personally believe, based on my experience, but the weight of their experience causes me to reexamine the conclusions I've come to, and in some cases modify what I do, but I have done so based on their explanation of their experience, not in response to some theoretical discussion culled from bad sources, nor as a result of their "personal power", either. There are also posters whom I try to completely ignore because the level and quantity of bad info they impart is so clueless that it's apparent that discussion with them is fruitless. And of course, when someone says something totally right, and complete, there's no reason to pitch in on that, either, so no response isn't necessarily a result of disdain.

Is there anyone who doesn't exercise some discrimination based on whatever level they're capable of understanding things? I hope not.

someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

What do you mean that you don't agree with the 'inner circle' mentality?

Are you suggesting there is no inner circle? Are you unaware that the majority of people seeking information are hungry for a response from one of a handful of posters?

It seems, judging from the frequency of your posts that you have little to do apart from follow this forum and interject regularly throughout the day. I look at it briefly once every day or two because I have a life to lead. It is quite possible that this is the reason my posts are ignored because by the time I have written them, or responded to comments, the thread had moved on in some other direction.

That is my last contribution. I am stuck in Germany unable to get home to the US due to the volcanic ash so I have more pressing matters to attend to.

Glenn

What I mean is; I don't agree with it.

The rest of your insults - I don't agree with them either.

Better luck next time.

Cello tops can be a challenge to remove.

This is how we do it down here.......

Of course we only use that technique for student instruments.

It sure would be great if there were a way to post good photographs, and even recordings of people's instruments on their profiles, with information on recording method and processing. That might give readers a way to weight contributors' opinions.

I've had the opportunity to see and play instruments by a couple of the contributors here, and that gives me a really good idea how to weight their opinions. With others, it's pretty easy to tell that their opinions are based on experience, but there's no way to tell what their instruments look like or sound like, unless you happen to know of someone who plays their instruments.

There are yet others who are full of certainty, but don't seem to me like they have ever even completed a decent instrument. If somebody has an opinion that doesn't make sense to me, I'd sure love to see what kind of results they are getting in their completed product. (I do understand that the less information you have, the easier the answer :))

We're setting up an experimental social networking site for string players of all levels of accomplishment. Members will be asked to post a video of their playing before they can post on the forum. I have no idea how that is going to be received. It might discourage participation altogether, but it might also make it easier to evaluate people's backgrounds and to weed out some of the posers.

Oops, sorry, I forgot... insert smiley here!

DISCLAIMER -

(Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm Just fooling around - I don't have anything against Australia, Australians, or Alan... well, other than the fact that they do drink their beer warm, but I can even forgive them for that - the poor souls just don't know any better)

Hey all;

I really appreciate the various opinions expressed on this thread, and some will hopefully make me a better moderator.

As far as responses and thread killing.... I looked back to get a feeling of how often I'd posted and not received response... or left the last words in a thread. Pretty often... but that's kind of the way of internet discussion boards I think. These things happen for a number of reasons: Agree but have nothing to add, people get busy, don't want to disagree in print, person being asked misses seeing the question, etc. I know, 'cause I do all of the above... so I'd expect others do as well.

As far as a "soapbox" forum or other lighter social venue on this website: No thank you. Really, take a look at this thread and see what happens in just a short time on an "off subject".

Adding a social board again would pretty much coincide with the end of my volunteering as a moderator... so if you want to get rid of me, now you know how.

Concerning the "inner circle" thing. Haven't seen a social type network, church, school or professional organization without one yet... Try like heck to "get in", follow footsteps, be annoyed, or let it bounce off and be yourself. Up to you. :).

There is also certainly some here who have more exposure to various areas than others.. and they should speak with authority, I think. I'm pleased they spend time here, and hopethey also walk away with something that makes it worthwhile for them.

Cheers!

Wonderful "spot on" post Jeffrey.

Disclaimer: This does NOT meant that I consider other posts in this thread to lack substance.

This was a nice well balanced summary that should be a fine ending to this thread (just delete this post :)

I still think you would make a good politician -in a good way (integrity, compassion, empathy etc...)

Disclaimer: This does not mean I think all politicians are....wait...I do actually :)

There is one more reason to post that hasn't been mentioned. Use Maestronet to record one of your ideas that you want to keep track of, that has some significance for you, regardless of how others feel about it. It's great when people do respond with feedback, but if they don't, that's ok, too. The idea has been put down in writing, and you can reexamine it at some future time to see how your thinking about it has changed.

For instance, on a visit to the Berlin Museum of Instruments, I took a lot of notes, which I subsequently lost. But, prior to that loss, I made mention of the museum in a couple of posts. What I now remember concretely about the museum is pretty much in those posts. Those posts are a reference for me, even if they serve no purpose for anybody else.

Doesn't matter, so long as it's dead. I can say that because I started it. Jeffrey did say it well, as did many others. Thanks all for a very good discussion!

I have to agree i've enjoyed reading other peoples points of views. Whether or not i agree it's still fun. Some are just more succinct than others

Jesse