Maestronet Forums

Do you not post here because...

robedney

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My posts rarely get any kind of response, so I've learned to just supress the urge.

++++++++++++

Many positive responses are given without words, so you may not know. "Thank you"

" I agree with you" for obvious reason, sometime we don't bother to write them out.

Hi all!

Major reason that I do not post because English is not my mother-tung. Not that I have trouble to participate a discussion, but I feel that my English limited in another way: I know the words, but lack the "feeling" of the language. It seems that what I try to say in the end sounds not as intended... Often, when I suggest something, it sounds rather like criticism, which I never intended, and provokes negative reaction from other people. My messages often been ignored (I especially hate to see my message to be the last in the thread) or even get negative respond.

But now that I think of it, may be David was right, it's all evil emoticons that make people hate each other and fight! :)

Great thread! I love this forum and have enjoyed contributing and will continue to do so. I have been part of threads and discussions that have gone nowhere, some that have been contrary to my opinion on a subject and some that I just read and learn. I would encourage everyone that is shy or insecure about their language or writing skill to just jump in with your thoughts. Most of the people here have to deal with people from all over the world and will not nit pick grammar and spelling issues. English is my second language as well, but have learned it by just trying to communicate as often as I can.

As for the experts that frequent this site, they are most gracious with those of us struggling to learn about their techniques and reasoning behind their choices. We might on occasion disagree or question their reasoning, but one thing I rarely, if ever, see on this forum is the experts being patronizing or condescending.

Contribute away!

Teo

But now that I think of it, may be David was right, it's all evil emoticons that make people hate each other and fight! :)

I think it is the opposite…

I decided early on that I didn't like and wouldn't use emoticons. Perhaps some of you have noticed, but the absence of something like that often goes unnoticed.

They are created with the idea that they impart a specific emotion or feeling, so, people can then say anything they want, and attempt to disarm the intent with an emoticon.

Of course, many times they are used as simple comedic relief - or to punctuate - but as often as not, they are a cheap attempt to disarm or excuse, what would otherwise be inappropriate commentary.

No big deal, I just like writing what I intend to say, and not adding the little cartoon telling people how to interpret it.

I think people tend not to post because 'violin making and restoration' is a very technical subject, lots of numbers and parameters that only a few people in the world have really mastered. If we could get more 'players' to participate, that would be good as there a lot more of them. Maybe we could get another Soapbox, where topics are not limited. I always enjoy a good philosophical discussion...

Well, I don't post very often (should say I almost never post) mainly for a couple of reasons:

1) When someone has nothing to say, better keep your mouth closed. This way there is a little chance to write stupid things.

2) I find nearly all the information I need by doing a search. I don't like to ask what has been previously asked (and answered)

3) As a beginer, I don't have a lot of infomation to share. I am like a dry sponge begining to be soaked.

4) English. My mother tongue is Spanish, and my English is not very good. Sometimes I find it hard to choose the right words to express myself.

Hope you understand. I wish I post more often, that would be a good signal.

Regards

Quote in toto

I can understand those where English is a second language, but please don't be hesitant to post something just because of that. I'm sure we can look past little mistakes, and the only way your English will improve is to use it. This is after all, a world community forum.

They are created with the idea that they impart a specific emotion or feeling, so, people can then say anything they want, and attempt to disarm the intent with an emoticon.

That is true that smilies often used to "hide" negative intent or added for pure decoration. But were they really intended that way?

I like to think that originally emoticons were invented in an attempt to add a kind of sence, the kind that usually added when we speak loudly by tone of our voice. Our words can mean mulltiple things, the same phrase often could be said as a good thing or a bad thing depending of how we tone it with the voice.

How do you know if I was kidding or what I said was sarcasm? Let's say I write "that violin you made is terrible", how do you know that I am joking if I don't use a " :) " ? Or how would you know without an emoticon that what I actually say: "your advice to size the bassbar with linseed oil before gluing really helped :) "... :), said negatevely (see, I am here trying to use " B) " to show that all that linseed oil nonsence means to be kind of kidding too) ?

To say truth, even when I try to use emoticons it rarely works. When I try to say funny things (I love to joke and say all kind of stupid things) even use of smiles doesn't help... But here we again at language problem - thats were the "dog buried" I guess.

Why post unless one has something worthwhile to add or a specific query?

It is said a wise man keeps his eyes and ears open and his mouth shut unless he has something meaningful to say. Once in awhile I'm guilty too of adding drivel, usually in a spirit of humor.

[snip]

Hear, hear! I'm shutting up and going back to reading now.

Oh, :)

I don't post often because I have nothing to add. Many posts are highly technical in nature and honestly above my limitted knowledge.

I don't make fiddles but I do restore what I call old barn fiddles. I buy my varnish; spirit and oil so I have nothing to add in those topics. Grounds and coloring are other issues I don't have to worry about. If I ever completely refinish a fiddle I'll deal with it then. My fiddles are naturally antiqued and I feel that adds charactter to them.

I don't deal with arching or cycloid curves because the plates are already made so I work with what I have. IF i regraduate a heavy plate I follow a map of set thicknesses which seems to work nicely. I use Darntons formula for bass bars.

My main challenges are things like getting a crack to close cleanly or resetting a neck straight and at the proper height above the fingerboard.

When lurking I read the most active threads. Although most are above my head I find them to be very entertainng and informative. The knowledge I learn while lurking is invaluable in my limited violin work.

Thanks to all for sharing.

Ernie

The second language thing "rings" true as to a good reason to not post. Not that im agreeing with it, if you have a question but.....

I used to live in Taiwan and during the second year got a taxi to go home. Now being the 9yo hot shot that i thought i was speaking Chinese and all. I simply asked the driver to take us to our house. We'll 2 hrs later we were on the wrong mountain top. a 45min ride turned into a 4hr excursion. :)

Now i know this is not a straight correlation but it does highlight the slight differences that make some hesitant (including me speaking Chinese) to speak or ask a question. And it wouldn't have mattered how much i tried to read and write from a distance (now in the US reading Chinese)

It's one thing to be immersed in the language and quite another to try and learn it long distance.

Now having said all that im sure the people on this board are quite familiar with reading the meaning meant or asking so please dont take this as a reason to now say something it's just me saying i understand why some don't

Oh and by the way i have a spelling LD. Ive always considered that's what spell check is for though.

Jesse

My posts rarely get any kind of response, so I've learned to just supress the urge.

Same with me.

My experience of buying, selling, collecting violins over 40 years, playing, making and restoring them and discussing them with like minded people all over the world, all that seems to count for very little here. There is a small, inner circle that other people want to hear from and the rest of us can stick to light hearted asides because the thread will continue just as though we had posted in invisible ink.

If this sounds sour, it wasn't intended to be; just a statement of fact derived from the experience of making well over 1000 posts.

Lurk mode is less frustrating than post mode.

Glenn

Hi all!

Major reason that I do not post because English is not my . Not that I have trouble to participate a discussion, but I feel that my English limited in another way: I know the words, but lack the "feeling" of the language. It seems that what I try to say in the end sounds not as intended... Often, when I suggest something, it sounds rather like criticism, which I never intended, and provokes negative reaction from other people. My messages often been ignored (I especially hate to see my message to be the last in the thread) or even get negative respond.

Hi,

It is more difficult to get the psychology right if you are not from the USA. Fair comment or even constructive criticism is frowned on. The general trend is to praise everything and everyone to the hilt. No room for a plain blunt man on these forums! :) However if you feel you have something to offer, or something to say you should post. Even if English is not "mother-tung" :)

Hi,

It is more difficult to get the psychology right if you are not from the USA. Fair comment or even constructive criticism is frowned on. The general trend is to praise everything and everyone to the hilt. No room for a plain blunt man on these forums! :)

Actually, I find that the criticism expressed too often approaches personal insult rather than constructiveness. In my opinion one should except different opinions and different approaches to violin making but some members seem to have problems with that.

That said I still find this forum outstanding and I am very grateful for the knowledged generously shared here!

Roland

Fair comment or even constructive criticism is frowned on. The general trend is to praise everything and everyone to the hilt. No room for a plain blunt man on these forums! :)

I find that just the opposite is true.

With the rare exception where a poster simply acts like a jerk (which, I believe, we all do occasionally - ok, no big deal, right?)

I am often as blunt and to-the-point as I can be.

But, you must realize that there is a fine line between being blunt and being rude - and watch that you don't post something that you wouldn't like being posted back at you.

I have noticed that, very often, people who are blunt don't seem to like it much if and when others respond in kind.

So, you have to be sure that if you are going to "dish it out" - that you can also take it.

That's just true generally in life.

Hmm.. if I wrote something only when I thought I had a valuable contribution I would almost entirely disappear from the forum! There are other reasons for contributing, showing interest, encouraging other posters, making the thread advance, and adding some "colour" to the social climate, for example.

It also depends on the topic, a lot is about making of new violins, where my ambitions and achievements are relatively modest! I do reply more often if the topic is repair methods, restoration ideas and such.

...They are created with the idea that they impart a specific emotion or feeling, so, people can then say anything they want, and attempt to disarm the intent with an emoticon.

Of course, many times they are used as simple comedic relief - or to punctuate - but as often as not, they are a cheap attempt to disarm or excuse, what would otherwise be inappropriate commentary.

I suppose that happens, but they can be useful to convey accurate meaning when writing using an abbreviated spoken style of English, where vocal inflections and facial expressions are missing.

For example, if I say something about you "taking a dip in the stock tank", you and I know it's not malicious, but another reader who is unfamiliar with previous dialog about the stock tank could interpret it as some snobby person trying to deliver an insult. So I add a :) .

Hopefully, it saves the need for an explanatory paragraph. :)

Same with me.

My experience of buying, selling, collecting violins over 40 years, playing, making and restoring them and discussing them with like minded people all over the world, all that seems to count for very little here. There is a small, inner circle that other people want to hear from and the rest of us can stick to light hearted asides because the thread will continue just as though we had posted in invisible ink.

If this sounds sour, it wasn't intended to be; just a statement of fact derived from the experience of making well over 1000 posts.

Lurk mode is less frustrating than post mode.

Glenn

I'll second that, Glenn, and go you one further: All too often my posts seem to be "thread killers"- no response, no continuing thread. Admittedly, my 'contributions' aren't always laden with valuable information- often just my attempt at a bit of humor (my light-hearted asides). But after reading through some of these off-topic and even off-color threads that are not only tolerated, but seem to go on and on, meriting the attention of a certain group (essentially, the same people who will absolutely not recognize or respond to any of my posts), I agree with your "inner circle" theory.

It's nice to be noticed occasionally, and I am appreciative of those who could easily be in the inner circle, who do have the courtesy to take the time to respond.