Maestronet Forums

Transformative Learning

stradofear

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fragility of belief, or ego as it may be, is worthy of note, but when it is applied to the process of violin-making, surely the proof of the pudding is in the playing; or at least in the actual object itself. While a certain level of navel-gazing is laudatory and occasionally informative, and infrequently a method of inducing change, sometimes for the better, it seems to me that it is mis-applied in this context.

If one is so fixated on one's personal beliefs regarding construction of a fiddle as to be unable to contemplate an improvement, one is either at some godlike level of achievement, or a fool. (Or both, of course, though this is an uncommon state, I'd like to think).

I feel that there is room for the mystic's divine inspiration in fiddle-making; I'd go so far as to concede that any extreme of human endeavor might provide such an experience. With the possible exception of doctoral dissertations on the subject. The groves of Academe are filled with forking paths, few leading out of the Deep Woods, but rather to the Outer Darkness, where there is the weeping, and the gnashing of teeth.

The fragility of belief, or ego as it may be, is worthy of note, but when it is applied to the process of violin-making, surely the proof of the pudding is in the playing; or at least in the actual object itself. While a certain level of navel-gazing is laudatory and occasionally informative, and infrequently a method of inducing change, sometimes for the better, it seems to me that it is mis-applied in this context.

If one is so fixated on one's personal beliefs regarding construction of a fiddle as to be unable to contemplate an improvement, one is either at some godlike level of achievement, or a fool. (Or both, of course, though this is an uncommon state, I'd like to think).

I feel that there is room for the mystic's divine inspiration in fiddle-making; I'd go so far as to concede that any extreme of human endeavor might provide such an experience. With the possible exception of doctoral dissertations on the subject. The groves of Academe are filled with forking paths, few leading out of the Deep Woods, but rather to the Outer Darkness, where there is the weeping, and the gnashing of teeth.

Let’s change “violin-making” to “spaghetti-making.” Then at least the gnashing of teeth serves a purpose. We don’t want all those doctoral candidates going hungry.

++++++++++++++

I would avoid discussions of un-conventional repairs in a forum which is full of qualified luthiers.

:) Bowling alley is different.

Every repair was unconventional when first done. So was heart surgery, human flight and global circumnavigation.

Every repair was unconventional when first done. So was heart surgery, human flight and global circumnavigation.

Taking the lead from the Ig-Nobel awards, Fellow may wish to consider writing a tome on "Ig-conventional Repairs and Restoration, but not Conservation".

He already has the photographic record.