Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

"Clara Schumann" a new 16 inches viola.

This is "Clara Schumann", a new viola, made one month and half after "Rebecca Clarke". I used maple that an American Gentlemen sent me, he told me it is 200 years old, Sam Zygmuntowicz received some wood from him too.

7779843.08bde9ad.1024.jpg

7779846.71c4bd2d.1024.jpg

7779844.e6b5561b.1024.jpg

7779845.2b7da4c2.1024.jpg

7779851.7dd7ef37.1024.jpg

7779850.17327b11.1024.jpg

Thanks Melving! I think I will have 4 violas for the viola conference and NYC visit. I will send a 5th to Gregory Singer, one of my dealers in NYC, to replace one he sold recently.

Very nice Manfio - I like your ff holes, they have the same 'character' of the outline somehow.

Do you find the Hill tuner ok on violas - I see Larsen do a loop end A - not sure on other makes. I thought to use one but wondered they might be a bit light for the job ?

This is "Clara Schumann", a new viola, made one month and half after "Rebecca Clarke". I used maple that an American Gentlemen sent me, he told me it is 200 years old, Sam Zygmuntowicz received some wood from him too.

Very nice, as are all your violas. But I think you made one oversight. If it is to be dedicated to Ms. Schumann, perhaps a Tertis model would have been more in line........

I notice the colors are more pale than in your other violas. Any comments about this ?

Thanks! Yes, this varnish is lighter in colour. The next lady I will show here will be darker... Oscar Wilde liked to say that "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative"! Have you ever tried the Tertis model John! I am afraid of trying it because I have 100% of good tonal results with this model and I am afraid to risk...

Thanks Geoff! I like the Hill fine tuner, it works fine, it's not heavy and don't mess with the string afterlength. I don't think that the Larsen A is light string. The rest of them are Evah Pirazzi (which are more and more expensive!!!!).

Thanks! Yes, this varnish is lighter in colour. The next lady I will show here will be darker... Oscar Wilde liked to say that "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative"! Have you ever tried the Tertis model John! I am afraid of trying it because I have 100% of good tonal results with this model and I am afraid to risk...

Thanks Geoff! I like the Hill fine tuner, it works fine, it's not heavy and don't mess with the string afterlength. I don't think that the Larsen A is light string. The rest of them are Evah Pirazzi (which are more and more expensive!!!!).

...It was the HIll tuner I thought would be a bit light, not the Larson A.

On your recommendation I have used Eva's for the De Salo viola - and with a set of Spirocores for the cello, the price hurts even more !

Ok, the Hill violin fine tuner works well with the viola, no problems. I use violin pegs on my violas too, they are a bit lighter.

Manfio, very nice as usual. This one is my favorite so far. I love the color and the wood choice, especially the belly. The outline and ff holes and arching just looks great on this one. Maybe it's the shading or something. Very cool.

Ken

Manfio, very nice as usual. This one is my favorite so far. I love the color and the wood choice, especially the belly. The outline and ff holes and arching just looks great on this one. Maybe it's the shading or something. Very cool.

Ken

Ken beat me to it. I agree that I think this is my favorite one yet. I like the lighter varnish colour and the overall look of the wood combination. Nice job as usual.

It was a joke, Clara looks to have had a good-sized arse from her photos.

Very nice, Manfio! Congratulations.

It has lots of style and individuality. I like the lighter color very much, too. It works well to give the viola a lighter appearance, I think.

Matthias

Thanks!

The photos were made by my friend viola player and viola test driver Andrès Lepage, he comes here with his camera, we prepare a very primitive set up with normal lights and, after having some wine he gets fine results; he should go to a VSA convention with his camera and transform his bedroom in photo studio, I imagine he would make a good money taking photos of instruments!!!

Thanks!

The photos were made by my friend viola player and viola test driver Andrès Lepage, he comes here with his camera, we prepare a very primitive set up with normal lights and, after having some wine he gets fine results; he should go to a VSA convention with his camera and transform his bedroom in photo studio, I imagine he would make a good money taking photos of instruments!!!

That may be a great idea for someone to set-up a nice photo booth at a convention, and charge to take some professional quality photos of the instruments.

..... after having some wine he gets fine results;...

Yes, good wine is allways a good source of inspiration. Congratulations for your new born babies, maestro.

Complimenti per queste grandi opere che servono come ispirazione per molti. (scusa il mio italiano)

Lovely work. On a loosely related topic of names for violas: i remember in the 70s in Australia there was a big debate over the use of female names for cyclones. These were traditionally female, presumably in keeping with other acts of nature. The situation changed with non-gender specific names being given - probably not long after Cyclone Tracy flattened the city of Darwin on Christmas Day 1974. Tracy was a very popular name at the time and I bet there were more than a few with their noses out of joint that Christmas. I know the word viola is feminine in Portuguese - but any chance of an upcoming "Lula da Silva" or a "Guga" done in carbon fibre?