Maestronet Forums

"Rebecca Clarke" a new viola, 16 inches.

MANFIO

I think I will send this one to Gregory Singer in NYC, then I will take Alma Mahler, Fanny Mendelsohn, Clara Schumann and Stanzi to the Viola Convention and NYC. Well, my wife Gisela will be there too, she would not leave me alone with all these 4 ladies...

You could make a viola and show up there too!

I think I will send this one to Gregory Singer in NYC, then I will take Alma Mahler, Fanny Mendelsohn, Clara Schumann and Stanzi to the Viola Convention and NYC. Well, my wife Gisela will be there too, she would not leave me alone with all these 4 ladies...

You could make a viola and show up there too!

So Rebecca will travel to New York next week- first class-hand carried-special attention!

Being 16" violas they're not much larger than a full size violin. In the pictres the bodies look fatter than a violin. Aside from that and using viola strings what gives them that viola sound?

It's got to be way more than strings otherwise you could put viola strings on a large violin and have a viola. Is it arching and plate graduation?

Ernst, these violas are 40.8 cms., violins are 35.5 cms. long, so these violas are 5.3 centimeters (53 milimeters) longer than a violin, and that is an Oceanic difference in our field.

Yes, they are wider if compared to violins (25,5 on lower bouts).

If you put viola strings on violas most of them will sound bad.... if you put viola strings on a violin it will sound even worse (although I have heard that Mutter uses a viola Dominant A on her Stradivari).

Hi Newnewbie! I made just a few narrow violas based on the Strad model decades ago, I don't have them here to compare, but I am sure these new ones are better.

I remember an article about cello making by Guy Rabut in a VSA Journal. He mentioned that Renè Morel told him that "square" outlines favoured more basses than "triangular" outlines, I think he is right.

I always enjoy viewing the work you post here....I do not usually make comments...but this time I must make the exception.

This one really caught my eye and appeals to me...in all aspects. This one is simply a joy to look at. Lovely!!!