Sign in to follow this  
cmjohnson

What's on your workbench right now?

I try to post a few pics

advices are welcome!

Il capo-cordiera, secondo me, era troppo stretto. Questo inverno in Val Padana faceva molto freddo e con il riscaldamento acceso era molto secco in casa. Di conseguenza la tavola armonica si è ritirata, ma l'ebano invece no, causando la crepa. Ai lati del capo-cordiera e dell'incastro del manico conviene lasciare uno piccolo spazio, lo spessore di un foglio di carta, onde evitare questo inconviente. Troppo tensione in questi quattro punti è la causa di quattro dei più tipici crepe in uno strumento.

Bruce

Translation:

The lower saddle. as I see it, was too tight. The winter in Val Padana was very cold and, with the heating on, it was very dry inside. Consequently the belly was shrinking in dimension, but not the ebony, thus creating the tension which caused the crack. On either side of the lower saddle, and for that matter the neck mortise, leave air space the thickness of a sheet of paper in order to avoid this type of damage. Too much tension (compression) in these points is the cause of four of the most characteristic cracks you will see on the table of an instrument.

Il capo-cordiera, secondo me, era troppo stretto. Questo inverno in Val Padana faceva molto freddo e con il riscaldamento acceso era molto secco in casa. Di conseguenza la tavola armonica si è ritirata, ma l'ebano invece no, causando la crepa. Ai lati del capo-cordiera e dell'incastro del manico conviene lasciare uno piccolo spazio, lo spessore di un foglio di carta, onde evitare questo inconviente. Troppo tensione in questi quattro punti è la causa di quattro dei più tipici crepe in uno strumento.

Bruce

Translation:

The lower saddle. as I see it, was too tight. The winter in Val Padana was very cold and, with the heating on, it was very dry inside. Consequently the belly was shrinking in dimension, but not the ebony, thus creating the tension which caused the crack. On either side of the lower saddle, and for that matter the neck mortise, leave air space the thickness of a sheet of paper in order to avoid this type of damage. Too much tension (compression) in these points is the cause of four of the most characteristic cracks you will see on the table of an instrument.

Grazie Bruce,

ero convinto che ci fosse spazio sufficiente per evitare questo...

ma adesso cosa conviene fare? riparare la crepa o sostituire il top?

In caso di riparazione come conviene procedere?

G.

Grazie Bruce,

ero convinto che ci fosse spazio sufficiente per evitare questo...

ma adesso cosa conviene fare? riparare la crepa o sostituire il top?

In caso di riparazione come conviene procedere?

G.

You decide. It can be properly repaired or you can make another top.

If you make a new top you won't have to tell a prospective buyer that the violin already has a defect. It would probably kill the sale. Or otherwise you have to discount the instrument or offer to replace the top if there is trouble.

Bruce

On the right, my first stab at a Medieval fiddle, intended for an October Renaissance Faire. Not my design, but the execution is my fault. The back and ribs are birds-eye maple from the local Woodcraft store. I have left the zebra-codes mainly intact to aide future researchers!

Edit: By the way, I do enjoy seeing what others are doing -- lots of good work out there!

I will admit to a weakness for Renaissance Faires, even though my daze of dressing in period appropriate clothing, quaffing an appropriate amount of grog, flirting with the wenches, and having my wife carry me back to the car in a wheelbarrrow, have tapered off somewhat.

Will you play that fiddle there - or sell it?

The shape of that Medieval fiddle is intriguing. Will there be S holes instead of ff's?, a scroll?, is it flat backed?

If you get a chance and have an inclination, please post more pictures as it progresses.

Thanks,

CraigT

The shape of that Medieval fiddle is intriguing. Will there be S holes instead of ff's?, a scroll?, is it flat backed?

If you get a chance and have an inclination, please post more pictures as it progresses.

Thanks,

CraigT

Also, will you make a *period appropriate* bow?

I like the lower tailpiece :)

And the Tele! Best electric guitar ever...the Stradivari of guitars.

Here's mine, I designed it and and am building the prototypes now. Archtop style but tele shaped, laminated plates, shop made. This is a computer mock of it and in the other photo a real top plate in the real world.

Although technically not on my bench this large white pine log is just outside my shop waiting to be sawn into double bass sized tops. :) By the way, Abraham Prescott used white pine.

post-23355-1270990786.jpg

post-23355-1270990817.jpg

post-23355-1270991049.jpg

Also, will you make a *period appropriate* bow?

Yes, and have started the process of figuring out what 'appropriate' is. I'm always looking for another way to excuse my playing!

As far as the fiddle itself, this one will have matching back and front long-arches -- both flat! The sound holes are what I would call C-holes (rather than f-holes), but I'm not sure what S holes are. Maybe the same thing.

The headstock will be flat, spade-shaped, with vertical pegs.

I'm not a participant in Ren Faire events, but I do join in at the Museum Comes to Life each year in Boise, playing old-time dance fiddle. Some of the Ren Faire folks show up, do a bit of jousting and dancing. I leave the jousting to the others, preferring to dance with the ladies while they fight. We jam with the Medieval musicians, and I have had the pleasure of wending my way through "Frankie and Johnny" on a 5-string viol. Some of the locals are putting together a Ren Faire in October, asked us to play a few Scottish folk tunes, so I thought it might fun to have the Medieval fiddle for some of the songs.

My intention for this fiddle is to play it, display it in the shop, and generally just have fun with it. But usually, with these more-or-less one-off instruments, someone comes along who wants it more than I do, so I sell it and then have to decide whether to make another or not.

What's on my workbench right now? A big mess! I have several benches this is medium-tidy one. There's a viola of mine from 2005 that came back for a new bridge, there is a Milanese violin, and a trade fiddle and way too many little objects, and a bottle of super-nicko - how did that get there?? There's an apron on the chair and there's a post tool for cellos that shouldn't be on that bench, and there's a sunny afternoon outside. I am behind the camera, on my way out.

post-23901-1271010293.jpg

Over my bench there is a permanent mess... much much more than showed by Magnus or Bruce Carlson.... I am currently making a new back for one of my violas that has cracked.

Well, at this point, I haven't been at my bench in about 4 days. Right now, I have a backlog of bows to restore and rehair, but at this moment, this is what I'm working on.

post-25151-1271014816.jpg

We've been home less than 24hrs now, and the bows can wait. His body length is 19.5 inches, which looks pretty large next to his violin with a body length of 152mm.

Clockwork Orange!

Those were just some of the stickers that came off the tele. One of them said Poop Tastes Bad. I'm switching it over to a lefty so I can play it for a while. It's been fun to mess around with guitars again. Notice the blue nail polish? Thank you Goth chicks and your blue toenails. Good for filling dings.

Leo Fender's secret finish revealed. :)

Congratulations Josh! 19.5" is even big for an uncut viola! We're way past the baby stage, but our oldest daughter is expecting twins in September. She has a son that is not 2 yet. You are in a more enviable position.

Ken

Hi

Here´s my bench (ha, looks like it´s the cleanest bench posted so far but than you can´t see the floor and laundry rack nearby :) )

Instead of going out clubbing I´m having a cosy night time glueing a back plate on and sizing my neck root (glue sizing is ideal for reading MN in between)

cheers

Martina

post-24034-1271018728.jpg

Hi

Here´s my bench (ha, looks like it´s the cleanest bench posted so far but than you can´t see the floor and laundry rack nearby :) )

Instead of going out clubbing I´m having a cosy night time glueing a back plate on and sizing my neck root (glue sizing is ideal for reading MN in between)

cheers

Martina

I like the photo. That is a lamp you are using to support the neck? Is the other lamp there to provide heat for the final glueing?

Oh yes...you should get out and go clubbing. We used to call it something else in my time (getting s__faced) but I, of course , never did that :)

Pufling and sinking the edges of the latest Guarneri model violin. All my recent instruments I have purfled after the body is closed. I partially sink the edges before gluing up and its taken a while to get used to.

post-24367-1271026615.jpg

Well, at this point, I haven't been at my bench in about 4 days. Right now, I have a backlog of bows to restore and rehair, but at this moment, this is what I'm working on.

Congratulations Josh - that's great news! And best wishes to the rest of your family!

Ed

post-5144-1271027052.jpg

There's more making going on than repairs right now, it's a mess right now. How do single parents do it?

I get a kick out of Internet visits like this. There are many things to look at in your photo. I like the way you have your two work stations set up. Is that fret saw on the back wall made of brass?

Josh - congratulations on such a handsome little guy, he's adorable. Good to see that the next generation is starting early! He'll be helping out at that workbench before you know it.