Sign in to follow this  
Dean_Lapinel

Pollens/Denis

Does the FD book with the included life size Strad forms render the Pollen's forms book obsolete? I know Pollens has cello, f-holes etc.. but is there any value in this book anymore (considering FD's book and the Strad posters)?

Does the FD book with the included life size Strad forms render the Pollen's forms book obsolete? I know Pollens has cello, f-holes etc.. but is there any value in this book anymore (considering FD's book and the Strad posters)?

Dean, I only have Pollens book (Francois Denis book is still on my shopping list), but I don't think it is obsolete as there is lots of additional information for other templates and in the text. I think they complement each other nicely.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Dean,

I have to say that I have been surprise when I had the posibility to compare the scans of the forms with the photos of the Pollens'book because the radius of the curves of the lower and upper bouts were rather different. Some main measurements are significatively differente too (until near 1,5 mm) even if at the end, the averages are quite similar.

Francois

I have to say that I have been surprise when I had the posibility to compare the scans of the forms with the photos of the Pollens'book because the radius of the curves of the lower and upper bouts were rather different. Some main measurements are significatively differente too (until near 1,5 mm) even if at the end, the averages are quite similar.

Francois, maybe you scanned yours in summer and Pollens took the pictures in winter - it's wood after all :) But I assume a scan is more accurate than a picture which suffers from optical distortion.

There is another major difference. Pollens believes that Stradivari made his forms by having new forms based on existing forms when implementing changes, which he made freehand. In other words, he used his eyes to make a "pleasing" shape. I know, this doesn't explain how he made his first form - maybe he borrowed it from Niccolo Amati.

I still like to purchase your book as the mathematical way intrigues me too and the reality is maybe a mixture of both approaches.

Cheers, Peter

Francois, maybe you scanned yours in summer and Pollens took the pictures in winter - it's wood after all :) But I assume a scan is more accurate than a picture which suffers from optical distortion.

There is another major difference. Pollens believes that Stradivari made his forms by having new forms based on existing forms when implementing changes, which he made freehand. In other words, he used his eyes to make a "pleasing" shape. I know, this doesn't explain how he made his first form - maybe he borrowed it from Niccolo Amati.

I still like to purchase your book as the mathematical way intrigues me too and the reality is maybe a mixture of both approaches.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter,

The differences are consequences of the process. Pollens have used a camera and would have took his pictures directly on the showcase at a distance arround 40 cm. It's what i heard in cremona, maybe Pollens could confirm that point. I used a scan and did the numerisation on each side. Some these forms are very wear and kind of "synthetic ?" protection has been put on the side and some others are very twisted (until 6 or 7 mm), none of them are completly symmetrical. At the end you have to manage with 4 differente possibilities of outlines for each form. If you considered the possibilities of measurements , it's even more complicated. That's the reason why I speak of averages, there is no definit measurements of these forms.

My conclusions about the process used by Strad are not really differents of the Pollens ' ones. I believe to have done the demonstration that Strad used several geometrical archetype named B, S, P inherited from the Amati that he used as templates to draw a serie of various forms that can be all reconnected by the fact that the majority of their curves comes from the original archetype. I considere that I give the proof of the process, Pollens has had the intuition of it.

francois

Francois, thank you for your explanations. I didn't know that the forms are in such a worn condition as I didn't had the opportunity in visiting Cremona yet.

Cheers, Peter

I absolutely have no idea why, but I find your comments are often mildly irritating. I hope I'm the only one here to feel that way.

I'm glad Mr Denis has tons of patience.

Ah, mais Tom maîtrise parfaitement le français, il faut bien qu'il nous le rappelle de temps en temps...

C'est toujours les plus cons qui se prennent pas pour de la petite merde. Un plouc, ça se voit à dix mètres!

French Minor in college…French heritage

Actually I am in Paris at this very moment.

Poisson d'avril!

Hi Dean!

Let us stay soft this time, I would'nt like others think that french language is only used here to be insulting. :) There are not so many frenchmen here, so I feel some kind of responsability in this respect. :)

I absolutely have no idea why, but I find your comments are often mildly irritating. I hope I'm the only one here to feel that way.

I'm glad Mr Denis has tons of patience.

Tets, I can assure you that you're not the only one! My feelings (or should I write "sentiments" :) ) are the same...

Roland

C'est toujours les plus cons qui se prennent pas pour de la petite merde. Un plouc, ça se voit à dix mètres!

French Minor in college…French heritage

Actually I am in Paris at this very moment.

Poisson d'avril!

Back from eggs hunting!

Dear “Mister Spoon Maker”, I can read that you master French language with so much elegance. (Elegance is the attribute of being unusually effective and simple. It is frequently used as a standard of tastefulness « Wikipedia ») or maybe your offensive remark was dictated to you by a well-meaning soul.

Btw the “petite merde” is perfectly describing what I think of your talent now B) and like you I have a perfect view :)

For those who do not understand what I wrote, I was only expressing my pov about a small sentence written by Mister François (not 1er). Just a way to remind him: “Faut garder les pieds sur terre et rester modeste!” He knows what I mean :)

I can see that he has an active fan club and to criticize “God” is badly seen here. Boo!

I have nothing against Mister “God” but only to smug person.

If I want to say that “Mister Smug” needs to deflate, it is my most absolute right. Amen!

Marc is right: French language is not only used here to be insulting and I’m glad that a new “romance” started between Tets and Roland! Happy wed guys :)

Ah! B) It’s a really funny place here.

J'attends avec impatience les nouvelles aventures de Fanfan!

Waiting for the "fan club riot" now ...

LOL

Tomroth,

I chose two phrases from a slang book that I thought suited you well. Perhaps they are harsher than intended but I find your rudeness irritating as do others. I am glad my work doesn't appeal to you. In my experience that is a good indicator.

I have heard FD speak, read his book and I have had many private conversations with him. There is no smugness or attitude. Francois is open minded, available for discussion and thoughtful. On top of that his work benefits us all.