Maestronet Forums

Jeffrey, need your help with the cycloids thread..........

Roger Hill

Jeffrey:

on page 4 of the cycloids thread there is a post by C T Dolan that is apparently a scan of some arches. Everytime I arrive at that post it crashes my computer. Have tried with Firefox, Opera and Chrome browsers. Same result every time. Could you resize those images in hopes that they will be better behaved? Thanks

Jeffrey:

on page 4 of the cycloids thread there is a post by C T Dolan that is apparently a scan of some arches. Everytime I arrive at that post it crashes my computer. Have tried with Firefox, Opera and Chrome browsers. Same result every time. Could you resize those images in hopes that they will be better behaved? Thanks

Hi Roger;

I'm afraid I don't think it's a file size problem... all the files are under 500K, one is under 400K. They come up quickly for me... I used Firefox and Safari.

Might want to pm C T and see if he'd be willing to email them to you?

Hi Roger;

I'm afraid I don't think it's a file size problem... all the files are under 500K, one is under 400K. They come up quickly for me... I used Firefox and Safari.

FWIW, that particular set of images can kill my machine as well, and I think I'm on a fairly fast, stable system. Took several times before I could even get past them; don't know why. Once the thumbnails are up, I can open the images fine -- BUT, I don't see any reason for those to be more than say 40k, which C T should be able to do by reducing the quality, not the physical dimensions.

Hi Roger;

Thanks, Jeffry. If they don't start behaving I will do that.

Hi Roger;

I think the problem may be due to the pixel dimensions (huge) and not the file size (which are also quite large). On my computer the thumbnails are shown as being reduced by 99%. I'm not sure at what stage that is happening, but I get the feeling that resizing is what is causing the hangs and crashes.

I think the problem may be due to the pixel dimensions (huge) and not the file size (which are also quite large). On my computer the thumbnails are shown as being reduced by 99%. I'm not sure at what stage that is happening, but I get the feeling that resizing is what is causing the hangs and crashes.

OK... Well, let's see if CT can re-upload his attachments. Maybe he'll see this message, or my PM to him, and edit his post accordingly. All I'd be able to do easily from this end is edit them out...

Maybe go into control panel / internet options and increase the size of the storage cache set aside.

OK... Well, let's see if CT can re-upload his attachments. Maybe he'll see this message, or my PM to him, and edit his post accordingly. All I'd be able to do easily from this end is edit them out...

He did re-upload them but did not reduce the pixel dimensions (and barely reduced the file size), so now we have two pages with the problem images.

I understand that not everybody is having a problem, but the pictures are wildly excessive for any internet use. If my math is correct, they are about 32 megapixels each and would be suitable for making a roughly 20 x 25" print. And there are four of them (times 2 now). Viewing at 100 percent on screen they will be approximately 56" x72" inches (the browser will normally be resizing them to fit the screen).

He probably should be edit them out of the posts.

He did re-upload them but did not reduce the pixel dimensions (and barely reduced the file size), so now we have two pages with the problem images.

Hi Mark;

I can't seem to find the "second page" your referring to. Is it the same poster? I have only ben informed of one problem, I think.

Editing them out isn't a problem for me... but I did PM CT last night. Let's give him a little time to substitute lower res images. I'll heck later today, and if they haven't been changed, I can remove them.