Sign in to follow this  
Hank Schutz

Wireless (e.g. blue tooth) violin pickup

I play violins in theatrical pit bands several times a year, often sitting just in front of trumpets, saxes, percussion, etc. Sometimes it's darn hard to hear myself. I thought it might be convenient to have a bluetooth-like pickup on my violin and bluetooth ear piece. Does anyone know of such? Any thought on the idea in general? (Various sound attenuation devices (ear plugs) diminish my own sound too much.)

HS

None that I know of...interesting idea though. Sounds expensive to produce for a limited market. I wonder if there is anything like a wireless baby monitor you could adapt for your purpose. Electronic eavesdropping is more popular and affordable these days too. Maybe something there.

As a low tech solution, maybe get a small microphone (electret?) and you could probably find a small battery powered amplifier or headphone amp and run a wired earphone from it. If you're good at electronic parts searching and Do It Yourself projects, you could probably make something cheaply....if not, probably up to a few hundred dollars.

"I play violins in theatrical pit bands several times a year, often sitting just in front of trumpets, saxes, percussion, etc. Sometimes it's darn hard to hear myself."

A few years of that sort of thing, you'll be hard pressed to hear ANYthing. There must be a strong temptation to wear earplugs, hold the fiddle with your teeth and rely on bone conduction.

You think anyone out there can hear the violin over the rest of the instruments? Maybe go electric, split the signal into amp/headphones?

Why? If you can't hear yourself, neither can anyone else, so don't worry about it, you sound great! (Sort of joking, but there is truth there)