Sign in to follow this  
AndrewPollow

Dirty boxwood chinrest

One reason I choose my violin is cuz it had pretty reddish brown boxwood fittings and now its all dirty from my face oil. And a little on the tailpiece too. I tried rubbing alcohol but it didnt work.

Is there any way besides sanding it to get the color back? I tried google and couldnt find anything about it.

Its not real important though cuz I got a nasty lump on my neck where I used to have a hicky so I tried a cloth like Perlman and I like that so much I would never play without it again.

If it got darker, I see no problem. Keep alcohol away from your instrument, it can damage the varnish badly.

Yeah it only got darker and it looks OK but that reddish brown was one of the prettiest colors Ive ever seen. I took it off to clean it. And you could never say that enough about alcohol. Alcohol works great all over electric guitars but its a different kind of paint I guess. Im lucky I knew that right before I bought my violin or I might have used alcohol all over it if I hadnt.

In general, due to use, boxwood fittings will get a bit uneven in colour. Perhaps with more time all your fittings will be darker. Yes, keep alcohol away from your violins!

It looks awesome in direct sunlight where the oil made it darker. Its a nice dark blood red. I never noticed untill this morning cuz we almost never have direct sunlight in the Seattle area. Maybe I like it. Its dark brown under dim artificial light.

It looks awesome in direct sunlight where the oil made it darker. Its a nice dark blood red. I never noticed untill this morning cuz we almost never have direct sunlight in the Seattle area. Maybe I like it. Its dark brown under dim artificial light.

Forget looks and concentrate on practice. Violins are for music.