Sign in to follow this  
brokenbow

Punishing children with Vivaldi and Mozart

A reversal of PPPP -- Pierce's Principle of the Paucity of Pulchritude, which states: "Those with the worst taste in music have the greatest compulsion to force their music on others." Vis: that car next to you at the stoplight, thumping up and down at least an inch. Good bet it's not Mozart.

Thats a horrible idea. It could keep them from ever liking classical music. Maybe they should use the BG's and yodeling instead. That temporary blindess is a cool idea though if its safe.

A reversal of PPPP -- Pierce's Principle of the Paucity of Pulchritude, which states: "Those with the worst taste in music have the greatest compulsion to force their music on others." Vis: that car next to you at the stoplight, thumping up and down at least an inch. Good bet it's not Mozart.

Perhaps the idea that those who listen to loud music have bad taste in music is foolish.

Also... who is Pierce? Neither I nor Google have ever heard of his Principle.

On the original topic: it seems weird to associate music with punishment. Music should be a reward, clearly.

Hi,

The article was written by a journalist at the extremes of bad taste, both left and right. In the UK, the worst of the communists and worst of the right wing consrervatives. It was pure propaganda.

Isn't this what we get when we stop rearing our children and no longer feel that it is acceptable to rebuff other children who are misbehaving, and look to the government and school teachers to do it for us?

When I was a kid and doing something wrong, some adult always spoke up. But today, we can't say anythign that might make some precious child feell bad about themselves - they are just expressing themselves and searching to their identity. More and more, I worry about the identity they will find with no guidance.

I once had some kids take out my windshield throwing large water balloons at passing cars, I circled back and caught one (never did more than put my hand on his shoulder, he was about 10 and knew he would not be able to outrun me). I had the kid take me to his house, very close by, where I told his mother what he did. She was all apologetic and promised to pay for the damage, but the next day I got a call from her lawyer who threatened to make child molstation accusations against me if I didn't drop the whole thing. Good Parenting.

I rarely go to the mall because of unruly youth constantly causing trouble and looking for people to mess with - I've never been a target and am not worried about that, but it is just so unpleasant.

The new hires we get at work are plenty smart and skilled, but seem to be more impatient and have less sense of respect for their seniors. Of course they grew up on sitcoms that beat into their heads that all adults are stupid.

The new hires we get at work are plenty smart and skilled, but seem to be more impatient and have less sense of respect for their seniors. Of course they grew up on sitcoms that beat into their heads that all adults are stupid.

Hi,

Isn't it depressing! :) But we have to accept that younger generation is always smarter than the older one!

Hi,

Isn't it depressing! :) But we have to accept that younger generation is always smarter than the older one!

I disagree. I think todays educational system is set up to fill kids heads with facts adn figures (more and more unsuccessfully I might add) and is failing to teach kids how to think. Mywife sees that more and more with kids she hires for her business. They can't think creatively.

An example of a complete waste of kids times in school - certainly elemenatry and middle school - is computer class. In most cases kids just play games. Anything they learn specific about programs will have changed by the time they get to college. Kids would be better served learning to think logically, critically, and solve problems. I know no one of my generation who has had difficulty learning how to use a computer and PCs didn't become mainstream until after I garduated from college.

I taught 8th grade kids Physics and Chemistry. This was the first class in which they actually were asked to apply math to some other subject. It was really very simple addition subtraction, but since it was related to teh study of Atoms at least 1/2 of the class was totally lost on what to do. They could not see the relationships and make the ltiniest eaps in logic.

I'm generally discouraged, but my own grandchildren, 16, 17, and 21 are much smarter than I ever was at their age. All are heavily into music (which I was at their age).

Last month, at a three-generation family birthday party the three kids were down at one end of the table discussing the subjunctive in English, French, Italian, and Spanish. Even the English major graduate among their elders did not understand them.

Perhaps the key is not the education system (although they all go to very fine schools) so much as the fact that their family TV sets have no cable, or antenna programming access. Their time is spent as it needs to be to grow their minds in knowledge, judgment, and creativity.

Andy

Darn wipper snappers these days. Alot of them are disrespectfull... but I think that is always true - I was and I regret it alot now. But I wonder if those pentacostal preachers are right - every generation does seem worse than the last. Maybe from music lyrics, tv.... They need better influences. Like Hilary Hahn.

Old farts ((I'm 53) have made these same complaints since Socrates. Probably before. Yet, the world keeps turning and life goes on just as it always has.

Parents, such as myself, don't want you disciplining our children. Not because we want them to be pampered, but because you are a stranger and I don't trust you. The sad fact is that even if you are not a molester or pervert, everybody and his brother seems to want to force their narrow view of religion, politics and everything else on the rest of us. I won't accept that for myself, and I certainly don't want you inflicting your views on my children.

Kids are no different than they always were. So are adults for that mater. The only thing to have change is your perspective.

To me, as a violin teacher, find the young ones are receptive to an authority figure that sets rules. Sometimes this applies to the parents as well. I have not had the patience to read the original article of this post, scanned the first few paragraphs before I found my attention waning. Maybe that's my fault. But I find most of the people weighing in on this topic are at fault in their spelling and grammar, small things that the young ones that might (and hope they eventually ) read this forum will latch onto as points of proof that we old ones don't practice what we preach.

I don't have kids of my own, yet, so am open to criticism from those that do have them. From what I have experienced as a teacher for the last 20+ years, apparently nothing will prepare me for actually having a little one to raise. However, I think kids that are raised today, we, as older people, cannot set rules as our parents did: no TV, etc. The internet is required for most learning and I think that is a good thing. I spend less time explaining the difference between Baroque writing and Classical style since they can look it up and I can spend more time interpreting their knowledge and applying it to actual playing.

Of course, I will probably also argue the failings of this opinion, since myself and most posters here did not grow up with so much information.

TT

Hi,

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but no, the younger generation is not "smarter." It is the responsibility of those older and wiser to provide guidance where needed.

Perhaps the key is not the education system (although they all go to very fine schools) so much as the fact that their family TV sets have no cable, or antenna programming access. Their time is spent as it needs to be to grow their minds in knowledge, judgment, and creativity.

Andy

Hear! Hear!