Maestronet Forums

'arching' wondering

koshpendi

After a good bit of lurking I'm going to finally ask a question.

The 'Bridge transducer?' thread had a picture that sparked a question I've wondered about for some time. It also relates to the arching discussions that have taken place lately.

There was a picture from the C37 website that shows some unique humps in the arching. I'd like to avoid a 'varnish' or color discussions that the mere mention of this site might engender. I did read at lease some of the threads that talked about this site in the past.

Here is a link with some pictures http://www.ennemoser.com/galleryviolin.html

There is even a couple pictures down the page that show the inside of the belly.

I'm intrigued by the shape of the humps on the belly and what looks like sort of dimples in the inside graduation. I recall similar inside humps and pits on another site that dealt with tap tuning (I don't have that link).

Is this the same sort of a questionable 'improvement' similar to the varnish also peddled on the site or the 'base bar enhancers' of other sites? I didn't find any sound files on the site (not that my ears could tell any difference anyway).

Blessings, Jonathan

Well, you can go to the website for the guy with the CD on that page, and there's a sound sample there. Have fun with that. :)

I did give that a listen but I'm not one that is able to judge tonewise.

I did find the music a bit indistinct (random) for my taste.

jonathan

If you look at the "theory" section, you can find a classic example of jargonish whacko pseudosicence:

"Many years of innumerable experiments finally resulted in an important clue:

The imperative selection of the right materials (wood and varnish quality) raised the question about

the existence of a reference property.

I eventually discovered that human bones and tissue to possess similar qualities.

A more detailed analysis showed that carbon is the decisive element in sound quality, and since the

sound is also coloured by body temperature, I chose to call this property the

C37 structure

Where C = Carbon and 37° = body temperature in degrees Centigrade.

Further analysis showed that C37 frequencies lie very close together (at least 10 frequencies per octave)

and this structure reoccurs in each octave. Another important feature of the C37 structure is that the

decay-pattern is the dominant feature rather than merely the amplitudes on a frequency response curve.

It is precisely the C37 structure that enables our ear to discern the quality of sound. "

... it goes on, but that gives you a clue.

The 'Bridge transducer?' thread had a picture that sparked a question I've wondered about for some time. It also relates to the arching discussions that have taken place lately.

There was a picture from the C37 website that shows some unique humps in the arching. I'd like to avoid a 'varnish' or color discussions that the mere mention of this site might engender. I did read at lease some of the threads that talked about this site in the past.

Here is a link with some pictures http://www.ennemoser.com/galleryviolin.html

There is even a couple pictures down the page that show the inside of the belly.

I'm intrigued by the shape of the humps on the belly and what looks like sort of dimples in the inside graduation. I recall similar inside humps and pits on another site that dealt with tap tuning (I don't have that link).

Is this the same sort of a questionable 'improvement' similar to the varnish also peddled on the site or the 'base bar enhancers' of other sites? I didn't find any sound files on the site (not that my ears could tell any difference anyway).

Blessings, Jonathan

I am raising flying pigs. I had a dream one night and it came to me how I could enable them to do it.

Anything is possible if you are a true believer. By the way, it's no longer officially Centigrade. It's Celsius. And really, it should be 98.6 F since the USA is STILL trying to push its antiquated measurement system on everyone. (Now I must go take my blood pressure medicine, or some substitute.)

Sony made a C37 condenser mic, a good mic, but that's not what made C37 ring alarms off inside my head when I read this thread.

I remember years ago reading about this miraculous laquer that can applied to speaker boxes, knobs, dust covers, remote controls, circuit boards, etc that will enhance the resulting acoustical sound production in an astounding manner.

I put it right up there with the chrome plated block of iron you place on top of your hifi amp to absorb the bad, stray negative magnetic field energy, allowing only the positive energy to contribute to producing sound.

If anyone subscribes to this, give me a call, and I'll sell you some solid granite headphone enclosures that dampen out nasty resonances and bad karma. On sale till the end of this week only.

Sony made a C37 condenser mic, a good mic, but that's not what made C37 ring alarms off inside my head when I read this thread.

I remember years ago reading about this miraculous laquer that can applied to speaker boxes, knobs, dust covers, remote controls, circuit boards, etc that will enhance the resulting acoustical sound production in an astounding manner.

I put it right up there with the chrome plated block of iron you place on top of your hifi amp to absorb the bad, stray negative magnetic field energy, allowing only the positive energy to contribute to producing sound.

If anyone subscribes to this, give me a call, and I'll sell you some solid granite headphone enclosures that dampen out nasty resonances and bad karma. On sale till the end of this week only.

In these days of looming inflation, you better buy all the snake oil you are likely to need for the foreseeable future...... :)

I've been thinking about purchasing a set of these for a while now... (karma problems)

What're you asking?

I've been thinking about purchasing a set of these for a while now... (karma problems)

What're you asking?

I can see you are a man far above average awareness and discerning perception. The standard granite enclosures, phenomenal as they are, would not suffice for your extraordinary aural abilities.

For those like yourself with the gift of superior hearing acuity, we have the finest hand quarried Greek Carrara marble. Each of these enclosures are hand chipped from a 0.5 cubic meter block of marble specially selected for it's acoustical properties by our technicians. What would you pay for this?

But wait, that's not all, you'll also receive a beautiful storage bag for your headphones made from the finest oriental silk. The exclusive worms that spin this silk are fed a special diet to ensure only the purest product worthy of our quality standards. Now what would you pay?

Lest we neglect to mention the transducers that deliver the voices of the angels to your ears, we have procured an exclusive and limited stock of magnetically aligned drivers made with virgin phenolic resin diaphragms left from WWII. No expenses were barred in the production of these units, as they were produced with the taxpayers dollars in that bygone age of 1941. Now what would you be prepared to pay?

Call now, we have operators waiting.

Call now, we have operators waiting.

Ha ha ha!

Unfortunately for you, I can see that Canadian TV is much like American TV. (And I had such high hopes for "you guys"!)

Ok, how 'bout this? How about three low-low payments of $39.99?

And if I act now - (if I'm one of the first 100 callers) you throw in a second pair (one for the wife) free?

The truth is that the first time around, (yesterday) I was just going out the door to Albuquerque (four hours away by car) when I stumbled on to this thread - and I couldn't get a sound sample of one of these violins to play...

In particular, I was interested to hear Sri Chinmoy playing one of these violins. -

I come from an entire family of eccentrics, and many years ago, one of my brothers went off on a Sri Chinmoy tangent, (the Buddhist amongst us) so, the name is not exactly unfamiliar to me.

I can see that this guy (the maker, not Chinmoy) is serious about what he's doing, and I am always interested in seeing what people (luthiers in particular) think, and what they do, and why.

Specifically because I think that a lot of these ideas that come along that are "off the beaten path" might just work with regard to some things musical, like with guitars, there seem to be a lot of workable innovations in the guitar world, but they rarely, if ever, work out with regard to the violin...

Probably 75 percent of the programming we get is U.S. produced.

I can give guys like this the benefit of the doubt, but If I was trying to market a varnish that was indeed good, I don't think it would do me or any potential customers any good by claiming the quality was due to the alignment of Jupiter and Uranus, or some other bizarre, unrelated set of circumstances. Why not market it for what it really is? Pseudo and science in the same word are a contradiction of terms. I find it amazing how many people are drawn to buy something based on some mystical, unknown factors.

To those sufficiently ignorant, claims of C37 science would sound just as plausable as any genuine science. It's all magic.

Yes, absolutely.

A note to Koshpendi.

Blessings, Jonathan

I think, Jonathan, in direct answer to your question; yes, you can rest assured that this is a pretty questionable approach.

A faceted surface - to me - is an interesting concept...

Too - his "honeycombed" interior seems like some sort of micro-tuning process taken to the extreme.

Unfortunately, after reading through the theory and varnish sections, as Don has already pointed out, I am sadly convinced that the ideas presented there are just so much invention, wishful thinking, and pseudo-science, and I'm less inclined to pursue the other ideas any further.

Is there a link that still works for these violins, a sound clip? I'd love to hear one being played...

Regards,

Craig T