Maestronet Forums

Rachel Barton Pine

Melvin Goldsmith

One of the comments she makes is that a bow is much more personal to a player than the fiddle is. Every violinist has to find the bow that works for them (and the violin).

A couple of days back, a friend and I were lamenting that the VSA competitions for bows don't include playability. It's pretty much a beauty contest when it comes to bows at the VSA. But maybe the very personal and subjective nature of bows in terms of playability that makes one bow great for one player and not so good for the next precludes any sort of meaningful, general judgment on a bow's playability.

I wasn't familiar with her, so I went through and played through some of her utube clips.

What an amazing smooth player! Thanks for posting that clip Melving.

She is truly amazing. One of her first recordings was "Tribute to Sarasate" for which she played the Amati that she was carrying when the train door closed on her. In the opening bars of the Carmen Suite, she makes the Amati produce a low, smooth growl that any del Gesu violin would be proud to claim as it's own. The accident she was in cost her part of one leg. She plays leaning against a tall stool. Having had the chance to talk to her for a few minutes, and stand in line observing her for more than ten minutes in order to buy a cd, My observation is that the personality displayed on the video is who she is, even at ten at night, having just completed wonderful perfomance of the Beethoven. Since she is from Chicago, I suspect that Michael Darnton knows her well.

Since she is from Chicago, ....

I believe she is on the board of directors for the Chicago School of Violin Making.

She is quite a character. She was here in Syracuse about a month ago. After the concert some musicians took her to the local barbeque/biker hangout and she was the only one singing along with the band!

Ed

She is truly amazing.

Having had the chance to talk to her for a few minutes, and stand in line observing her for more than ten minutes in order to buy a cd, My observation is that the personality displayed on the video is who she is, even at ten at night, having just completed wonderful perfomance of the Beethoven.

Interesting.

Yes, her presence, even on the utube video, seems to fill the room.

It was her subtle playing that floored me. Very often, such subtlety is missing in live violin performance...