Maestronet Forums

How accurate does Hot Glue Temperature have to Be in Preparation?

msheald

I just purchased a plastic hot water pot made by Rival for about $15 (RiteAid pharmacy). To get the temp down to 63C (145F), you must turn the knob down, almost to off. I will use this glue pot only with a thermometer. Daily room temps. vary a lot in my workspace.

I have searched at Walmart for a bottle warmer, with no luck.

John,

Join the internet age :) ... there's hundreds of them cheap on eBay, or you can find them at Amazon too.

John,

Join the internet age :) ... there's hundreds of them cheap on eBay, or you can find them at Amazon too.

Hi Don,

I don't know how to use the internets. I would rather buy things at my local "Malwart, your best source for cheap plastic crap." I saw that on a bumper sticker years ago.

You are right. Look at this cutie.

Mike, you got some great advice and if you use the search function searching for hide glue, you find much more. The stuff is cheap, so experiment a bit with different water to glue ratios on scrap wood. 2:1 works fine for me. I use a wax melting pod (used to remove body hear - not the pot, but the molten wax :) ) which I bought on eBay as I couldn't find a baby bottle warmer and it does the job.

I was very suspicious in the strength of the glued joint as I used hide glue for the first time when making my violin and it just didn't feel like glue to me. After I saw the top plate to shape, I had a top and bottom off-cut which was glued and I snapped it in half - and the break wasn't along the glue line! So it does work.

Also, I found that to bring the glue to gel, the water has to be cold. I tried to prepare some glue on a very hot day (over 40 degree) and the cold tap water was rather warm, resulting in glue which didn't gel. I had no problem when I cooled the water in the refrigerator a little.

Hello! I've read that some/many luthies soak the hide glue granules for a day before heating/melting it. What does this do for the glue?

I think that the required soaking time depends on the size of the glue pieces. Larger pieces will require a longer soaking time for the moisture to fully penetrate and saturate them. In the old days glue would come in large chunks, sheets or blocks, which required overnight soaking. If I am correct, it means that you could reduce the soaking time by grinding the granules smaller.

Another option for a glue pot if you cannot find a bottle warmer is a beauticians wax pot. The one I use has a removable pot that does not touch the outer heated area. It can heat from luke warm to around 90 deg C but not boil. I used to suspend a plastic drink cup in the water to heat the glue but now I just sit a glass in the water and leave the lid on to keep it consistent.

It is the only pot I have ever used and it works perfectly.

post-23276-1267312133.jpg