Sign in to follow this  
iburkard

Work... apron?

I was curious to know what people wear while they are working:

leather apron

cloth apron

misc work clothing

different things for different tasks (duh)

Also, is there a good supplier of leather and cloth aprons? I'm worried about getting poor quality leather... and even poorly made cloth. Products have become so cheap these days (bulk imports).

I wear an old cloth apron my father made me 30 years ago, he was trained as a "sarto" (taylor) also and every time I wear it I remember of my beloved father, he would be helping me a lot if he were alive...

I wear an old cloth apron my father made me 30 years ago, he was trained as a "sarto" (taylor) also and every time I wear it I remember of my beloved father, he would be helping me a lot if he were alive...

Hello Manfio,

I was touched by your comment, and it seems to me that your father is helping you a lot even though he is gone...

All the best,

A.C.

I have several cloth aprons which I choose from depending on my mood. I love the one which was made by a local now-retired tailor, and it wraps around me very nicely.

Does anyone else feel more confident in apron? Like wearing a Superman costume?

Thanks for your kind words Fairbanks!

Chris Landon wears a fine old fashion leather apron.... but it would be too hot to wear it here in the South...

Manfio

I too like the story of your apron.

I wish I could wear an apron, especially as they look so professional but never felt comfortable with one...maybe because I tend to hold things with my knees quite a bit. I DO have an apron tho' and wear it in publicity shots as it looks far nicer than my usual attire.

My workshop clothes are chosen for their unrestrictiveness and functionality. I wear hiking trousers and short sleeved shirts and training shoes. When I was younger I worked barefoot which was quite handy as I became quite adept at using my toes to pick up things I'd dropped. My workshop clothes tend to accumulate numerous indelible and ominous looking varnish stains over time and I am careful to change into something smarter if I am meeting a customer for the first time.

This was taken around the turn of the last century. Not sure whether the apron was leather or denim. Does anyone still use leather sleeve protectors? Does anyone still wear long sleeves? Seems like they would be rather cumbersome.

post-5156-1266629272.jpg

I use a cloth apron, cotton, cheap. The local farm-store sells them for $5 (US) each. Solid colors. I have a green one and a blue one. The red is too fancy for the neighborhood.

And I wear long sleeve shirts in the winter and sometimes in the summer. Roll-up the sleeves 2-cuffs worth. No sleeve protectors, but sometimes when I have the shop set up at the local fiddle contest, I wear my bowler hat. It doesn't make me feel like Superman, more like Oliver Hardy. Although any more, that hat plays havoc with my optivisor.

Here's my typical attire: :)post-24795-1266640486.jpg

I used to wear a leather welders apron until I learned to keep the business end of the tools working away from me. Now I use a denim apron my 8 year old daughter made at school for me.

Sometimes I wear a small leather carpenters tool bag that goes around your waist. It helps to keep the bench clear, but you have it right there when you need it. I am horrible with keeping pencils around and loose them every 5 min. So this helps to keep several at hand. I use them at work all day long so I'm used to wearing one. It takes awhile to get used to wearing one if you haven't before. It takes even longer to get used seeing someone wearing a tool bag only.........eww icky :) did I mention the crotchless leather chaps?

Much as I like that traditional look of long sleeved shirt, tie, trousers* etc under an apron, for me it is tee shirt, shorts, sandles or bear feet. Hey, this is summer in Sydney..

Tim

* See the photo on page 8 of Alan Coggin's book of Walter James Brown

You know - I quit wearing an apron as the loop around my neck was causing me some great discomfort. Now when varnishing however i do usually wear crap clothes since no matter how careful usually i get a drip or something on me somehow. I have aprons - i just forget to put them on most of the time and get busy and then my woman yells at me for all the woodshavings in the washer and all over the house.

Hi

great thread! I thought it was only girls who like talking about fashion :)

I quite like wearing an apron (not for superman feeling but to keep my cloth tidy). Like Andrew I quickly got the feeling of my neck being pulled down constantly which was a bit annyoing so I ended up making my own. I´ve made several but the latest one is by far my best. It´s a copy of a japanese apron which has straps going over my shoulders rather than around the neck. It´s a bit thick and long, very useful in winter times but maybe I need a new one for the summer

cheers

Martina

Depends.

Generally I wear whatever I'm usually wearing, you know, clothes.

For varnishing I never wear wooly jumpers or good trousers.

A nic enew white cotton arpon is my preffered choice.

For tool making I wear a heavy split leather apron.

I like to wear a baseball hat and comfy shoes to keep warm.

If I ever get a gorgeous young assistant she will wear a green apron and a viking hat, at all times.

Cheers.

Hi

great thread! I thought it was only girls who like talking about fashion :)

I quite like wearing an apron (not for superman feeling but to keep my cloth tidy). Like Andrew I quickly got the feeling of my neck being pulled down constantly which was a bit annyoing so I ended up making my own. I´ve made several but the latest one is by far my best. It´s a copy of a japanese apron which has straps going over my shoulders rather than around the neck. It´s a bit thick and long, very useful in winter times but maybe I need a new one for the summer

cheers

Martina

Martina,

There is plenty of room for improvement in the apron department. You should design a better apron and market it. Who knows you may have a second career in designing.

Berl

If I ever get a gorgeous young assistant she will wear a green apron and a viking hat, at all times.

My lovely young assistant wears a French Maid outfit...

I told her it is traditional.

I always wear a canvas apron when sanding and finishing, as I am definitely the type to wind up "getting it on me"...

Other than that, it's just what I happen to be wearing.

I will admit to (as an affectation) wearing the apron, upon occasion, when a customer comes to the shop depending on the message I want to send, and the hat I'm wearing.