Sign in to follow this  
Selim

Online tuners

I have pipe tuners,

when I compare to online tuners pipe tuners sound high, the online tuners also sound different from each other by very little margin, may be signal distortion or some other reason.

May be the pipes need to be replaced not sure.

Any suggestions for online source for tuning?

Thanks.

Generate a tone with Audacity. Or record it and analyze the frequency. (Use at least a 2048 steps, rather than the default 512. You'll see.)

I have used a program for tuning pianos -- Tunelab. The first time you use it, they want you to first calibrate it using the NIST frequency standard. All computers do not necessarily have identical clocks (crystal timing mechanism). I don't know what kind of accuracy you need. Get a tuning fork you trust, or electronic tuner and check Audacity using that.

Get a good quality electronic tuner with a proper needle scale like a Korg GT12. This will give you very accurate pitch measurement and pitch generation for all strings. Works on all instruments and can be calibrated. I use one daily for violin and guitars, both at home and out and about.

If you need to vary pitch for other purposes, something like an Intelli IMT-310 also enables you to very easily generate exact frequencies in increments of 1Hz either side of 440. It too will also measure the frequency of your strings very exactly. And it tells you the temperature, humidity and is a very good metronome. However, you cannot calibrate it if you wish to check perfect accuracy. That said, mine is spot on.

Cheap electronic tuners are more fallible in my experience.

Thanks for the responses. I have audacity installed.

Right, Pipes are not reliable, so I am trying online tuners. Seems there is some uncertanity there also.

Time to time I tune my violins with the concerts in youtube etc, it is again different, liitle bit low or high etc,, probably it is because of recording.

I am trying tuning with tiny amount plus or minus,,, it seems, little bit up or down does effect the resonance.. just experimenting.

Not sure where the precision is, theoretically, all the orchestras are supposed to be tuned to same frequency, not sure though if this is possible. May be there is some option there, some tiny margin..

Not all of them tune the same. Usually they go between A 440 and 443, or up to 445 in extreme cases.

This is really interesting,

I observe the effect of this tiny margin, shifting up and down on violin body,

why, I mean what could be the puprose for this?

Sounds like performance optimization, but not sure..

I have pipe tuners,

when I compare to online tuners pipe tuners sound high, the online tuners also sound different from each other by very little margin, may be signal distortion or some other reason.

May be the pipes need to be replaced not sure.

Any suggestions for online source for tuning?

Thanks.

+++++++++++++++

In the 50's I used pitch pipes which were not that good (accurate). Only A was good. Tune others with double stops.

Now I use electronic tuners special for violins, that is, for G,D, A, E. (such as Matrix, KORG c20) fast and easy.

I think you might had missunderstood me, I meant at the orchestra at the beginning not while playing. It does happen a bit while playing but in a much smaller scale, its just to spice up playing.

Check this video out, ii might help you: http://violinmasterclass.com/intonation_qt...sctn=Definition

Sorry if I misunderstood your post

Is that A you refer 443,445,447 to which entire orhestra is tuning?

This is what I hear from recordings, they differ little bit time to time.

Fellow,

I have one of these fancy gadgets now, still what I hear is the last word though. :)

Thanks for suggestions and ideas.