Sign in to follow this  
Atomino

Violin Bridge Picture

Thanks 'actonern',

No measurements are necessary, although, absent direct experience, can be reassuring.

So, what do you look for or trim to achieve more 'crunch' (aka transients?)

Oded

I do a basic taper trim to the tips, leaving lots of wood to further trim.

Then I set the violin up.

The trimming thereafter I do with a 1/8 inch chisel that can refine the tips while the instrument is set up.

reduce the taper ever so slightly on one side and play... do it on the other and play... keep going till the violin starts to respond to the bow in a way that feels "right." You can definitely go too far... I've trimmed down the tips to little stubs in past experiments... but it's possible to get to a place where the bow "bite" is just a whole lot better, and it comes in and out of "right" with remarkably little wood removal.

I really enjoy this part of the exercise. It seems inconceivable that so little wood removal can make so big a difference.

Best regards,

Ernie

Ah, I see. I think what you may be doing is raising the resonant frequency of the bridge. The bridge rocks back and forth (left to right) by removing weight from the sides (which is what I think you're mostly accomplishing) the bridge can vibrate at a higher frequency. Raising the frequency will often brighten the instrument and give more crunch. I do much the same by taking a very thin shaving from the outside edge of the bridge with a plane.

Thanks for sharing :)

Oded