Sign in to follow this  
Bill Yacey

Excellent Scraper Material

I was at a warehouse the other day and noticed some black steel banding some workers just removed from a crate. The way it broke made it appear it was fairly hard steel, so I took some lengths home. The pieces I have are 1.25" wide and about .032" thick, and sharpen up razor sharp. I have seen smaller banding that was narrower and thinner, most likely of the same steel.

I thought I would pass this on to anyone interested. I'm sure there are hundreds of feet of this stuff that winds up in a dumpster or scrap steel recycle bins every day.

It must vary-- I tried some from work and found it unsatisfactory...hard, as you say, but wouldn't hold an edge. It has been a few years-- maybe I ought to try again.

That tempered steel banding is what I used to make one of my better parting knives from. Cut an angled end similar to an Exacto blade and sharpen one side. The point is so razor fine that it leaves no visible mark entering the joint.

I have around a dozen of these bandsaw blades(1" wide),two are worn and just hanging around in the workshop ready to be thrown away. Are they any good for anything,or is it just the side of the band with the teeth that is hard enough for anything useful??

starrett

I have around a dozen of these bandsaw blades(1" wide),two are worn and just hanging around in the workshop ready to be thrown away. Are they any good for anything,or is it just the side of the band with the teeth that is hard enough for anything useful??

starrett

If your link is correct they are bi metal, which I believe is hard metal at the cutting edge and softer metal for the main blade. I was thinking though if you were careful and only sharpened the hard edge, you may be able to use it for something. Maybe a scraper until you used up the edge. Look for some that is just carbon steel all through, and then you can form them, I have some but have not done anything with them yet, so I don't know how useful they are. I have made some from the rigid 12 or 14", 1.5" wide blades with excellent results. good luck

If your link is correct they are bi metal, which I believe is hard metal at the cutting edge and softer metal for the main blade. I was thinking though if you were careful and only sharpened the hard edge, you may be able to use it for something. Maybe a scraper until you used up the edge. Look for some that is just carbon steel all through, and then you can form them, I have some but have not done anything with them yet, so I don't know how useful they are. I have made some from the rigid 12 or 14", 1.5" wide blades with excellent results. good luck

According the Starrettwebsite ,the HSS extends quite a distance up either side with the softer steel in between.As in this link.

bi-metal

According the Starrettwebsite ,the HSS extends quite a distance up either side with the softer steel in between.As in this link.

bi-metal

\

that is new to me, i guess you could that a laminate blade like the Japanese blades. Depending on the thickness of the two wires it might make an excellent scraper. let us know how they work out. kevin