Sign in to follow this  
DBurns

New Soundpost Setter Design

Thought that some of you would enjoy a look at this new soundpost setter design.

New Soundpost Setter Design

I wonder how you will pick-up a dropped post?

A maker friend of mine showed me one these the last time I visited his shop. He didn't remember where he got it from. The materials used where of older design. I'm glad to see someone has copied this design and producing these. Thanks for posting this. I'll send him the link since he uses one. I prefer the regular tool to set a post, but I set them through the bass fhole.

-Ernie

Hmmmn............ :) There has to be an easier way! :)

But they say ....

"The Gemini Sound Post Setter is a simple, easy to use tool for replacing or resetting the sound post in a stringed musical instrument."

So it has to be easy! :)

If you learn how to use the correct (basic) tool you will find that it is easy and pretty much error free. I don't know why anyone would need a gizmo like this. With the basic post setter you have a lot of fine touch feedback. I'm not certain about this but I suspect that the feedbak will be lost to some degree with this kind of tool.

The metal tube like portion which holds the sound post vertical could be a problem with an instrument having narrow ff holes. Also, how do you use it with fractional size violins??

Quote: DBurns

"I wonder how you will pick-up a dropped post?"

Hold the violin over your head ff holes pointed toward the floor and "Shake Rattle and Roll" :) :)

I think that the only way to know if the post is standing straight is to pull out the end pin and look through the hole.

You are right!! They are just tring to sell something to "newbies" . They try to make it look like it would be done in 2 minets.

I always take out the endpin when I move the post too . If you don`t how ,will you know that you have a good fit? or like you said it "is standing straight" .

I can`t see how you get it in right from that side of the violin. It would same like it would fall off the setter as you were pulling it into place. You would have to be pulling backwords to set from that side.

I prefer the regular tool to set a post,and I set them through the bass side fhole .

One advantage this setter-type has is no stabbing pierce of the soundpost is required [as with most other designs].

Granted, some may argue, "oh, it's just a little pierce and couldn't possibly affect acoustics."

Oh, really??? :)

Jim

One advantage this setter-type has is no stabbing pierce of the soundpost is required [as with most other designs].

Granted, some may argue, "oh, it's just a little pierce and couldn't possibly affect acoustics."

Oh, really??? :)

Jim

Come on Jim, get serious.

Why stab when there's another way ?

Jim

Now-now Jim, don't get cute. One can get food into one's mouth with or without a knife, fork or spoon, or any combination thereof, but in the tradition I suspect we share that's how it's done most times, with reasonable efficiency.

You are obviously advocating a way other than the "traditional" to set a post. What I want to know is, why? I use another way - and I can tell you why - but you say "Granted, some may argue, 'oh, it's just a little pierce and couldn't possibly affect acoustics.' Oh, really???"

That (or, as you might say, that, that, that, or any combination of those) is what I want you to clarify. I'm sure it's not because you are afraid of blood, pain or anything like that.

Now-now Jim, don't get cute. One can get food into one's mouth with or without a knife, fork or spoon, or any combination thereof, but in the tradition I suspect we share that's how it's done most times, with reasonable efficiency.

You are obviously advocating a way other than the "traditional" to set a post. What I want to know is, why? I use another way - and I can tell you why - but you say "Granted, some may argue, 'oh, it's just a little pierce and couldn't possibly affect acoustics.' Oh, really???"

That (or, as you might say, that, that, that, or any combination of those) is what I want you to clarify. I'm sure it's not because you are afraid of blood, pain or anything like that.

Jacob, I may be wrong but I took Jim's comment as a thought provoking statement rather than a condemnation of "stabbing".

Hi Jacob,

I think Dean hit on it [thought provoking].

Look at all the attention paid to bending/flexing behavior of the Plates. All the care that goes into carving and

scraping them oh-so smooth, presumably to get better acoustic response.

Other than the rib-perimeter, there's nothing but the soundpost supporting those Plates.

Some say the soundpost gives the Violin its "soul". We get the soundpost perfectly dimensioned, fit its ends ...

then STAB the little feller just to help get it into proper position. [Just sayin']

Okay, I worry about the little soundpost stripper girl getting splinters too. :)

Jim

Hi Jacob,

I think Dean hit on it [thought provoking].

Look at all the attention paid to bending/flexing behavior of the Plates. All the care that goes into carving and

scraping them oh-so smooth, presumably to get better acoustic response.

Other than the rib-perimeter, there's nothing but the soundpost supporting those Plates.

Some say the soundpost gives the Violin its "soul". We get the soundpost perfectly dimensioned, fit its ends ...

then STAB the little feller just to help get it into proper position. [Just sayin']

Okay, I worry about the little soundpost stripper girl getting splinters too. :)

Jim

No, that's not going to do it for me, it sounds too much like voodoo. I've tried to think about it, but it's not provoking any thoughts either (sorry Dean), so, you're gonna have to lead me down the appropriate garden path with this one (I'm assuming we're not into nuts-and-bolts LUTHERIE with this one).

Hi Jacob,

Jim

OK, you got me good - you're just fooling around, right? I mean - like - you can't be serious??

... you're just fooling around, right? I mean - like - you can't be serious??

No, actually I'm not fooling around.

If one's stance is that piercing the soundpost does not affect acoustic response, i.e., all that matters

is getting it into proper position, then there's really no "need" to pierce in the first place.

OTOH, many believe vibrations are transmitted from Belly to Back Plate via wooden soundpost.

IF that's true, there may be good reason to question the "traditional" piercing method -

unless of course it's already been determined not to affect soundpost vibration transmission efficiencies.

I'm questioning how this may have been determined.

Jim

I would like to let the people who posted the soundpost setter know .

That I own the patten on this soundpost setter.For the last six years.

Please contact me when you find the time.

Thank you

Terry Farrell

Farrell& Farrell violins

I would like to let the people who posted the soundpost setter know .

That I own the patten on this soundpost setter.For the last six years.

Please contact me when you find the time.

I doubt they read these forums, but even if they did it's hardly the best way to notify them about alleged patent infringement.

I don't see any advantage to this other than the post won't fall off it if you are too lazy to sharpen and bend your setter correctly. I also wonder how tightly it holds the post if you want to rotate it?

As for piercing the post causing acoustic problems, I assume violin design has taken account of this little (non?)issue over the last few centuries :)