Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan M.

Random buzzing on new violin

I just completed my new violin two weeks ago and it sounded great. In the two weeks I have not had a any problems with it until now. I was playing it tonight and all of a sudden after 5 minutes or so it started to buzz and sound awful. The buzzing is on all four strings. I noticed when I lightly press down on the treble side f hole the buzzing decreases but does bot completely go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated I would love to get the great tone back as soon as possible. Thanks

I just completed my new violin two weeks ago and it sounded great. In the two weeks I have not had a any problems with it until now. I was playing it tonight and all of a sudden after 5 minutes or so it started to buzz and sound awful. The buzzing is on all four strings. I noticed when I lightly press down on the treble side f hole the buzzing decreases but does bot completely go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated I would love to get the great tone back as soon as possible. Thanks

Buzzes can be very difficult to find. Obviously you will have checked for open seams between ribs and plates. Look at the top and bottom of the F holes. If there is anything touching there it will make a big buzz. Recently there are a lot of really bad chinrests on the market imported from the new economies. Often these allow no clearance for the tail piece and contact will cause buzzing.

Buzzes can be very difficult to find. Look at the top and bottom of the F holes. If there is anything touching there it will make a big buzz.

Thanks so much Melving. I found a piece of dried paint bridging the gap between the f hole wing and the spruce belly. I had heard of something like that before but had completely forgot to look. You saved the day. And I learned a good lesson. It is funny how something so simple can destroy something so complex and beautiful.

Funny I had the same problem with my violin (the one I had been playing for 2 years). I thought it was the soundpost because when I was slightly pressing with a finger while bowing the buzzing was going away. But the luthier I went to see didn't take long to spot that some rosin had deposed at the F hole and was indeed bridging the two sides. Well 1 minute with a scalpel and my violin was great again.

Thanks so much Melving. I found a piece of dried paint bridging the gap between the f hole wing and the spruce belly. I had heard of something like that before but had completely forgot to look. You saved the day. And I learned a good lesson. It is funny how something so simple can destroy something so complex and beautiful.

That one's on my check list for every setup. It's more common than one would think, and certainly can make an awful buzz.