Sign in to follow this  
Dean_Lapinel

Stradofear question

Public since I know many would be interested in the response.

Has you business changed since you moved? I'm mostly curious if you find yourself inundated with repairs and less time for making. This seems to happen to a lot of top makers I know.

I have always found the term wannabe somewhat distasteful. Even the best of the best were "wannabes" at some time in their career. I do understand the context of the term, but I remain perplexed as to why people entering any field of endeavour should be so maligned, especially when we cannot know which ones will turn this term on its head, and eventually become a study for yet other wannabes.

I have always found the term wannabe somewhat distasteful. Even the best of the best were "wannabes" at some time in their career. I do understand the context of the term, but I remain perplexed as to why people entering any field of endeavour should be so maligned, especially when we cannot know which ones will turn this term on its head, and eventually become a study for yet other wannabes.

On that note, I guess I should change my user name. :)

Perhaps Janito's wannabe is a tongue-in-cheek self-description, since he has visited, in which case it's his call? :-)

I've had not enough visitors. Though I always tell people to come visit, not enough do, and those who do feel like they're intruding, which they aren't. I have no problem working with someone hanging around talking.

I am doing much more repair work, but I did just finish a violin a couple of weeks ago and am working on another. The balance is not bad, since it's been a long time since I've done repair work, so I'm finding it refreshing. . . . for now. The main thing that occupies my loose time, though, is learning to play piano. We have a nice Steinway in the shop, and one day I looked at it, and thought "Why don't I know how to play that?" So I went out and found a teacher, and am practicing religiously.

The move has been a good one. It's a much nicer place, more light, less burning pig smell coming up from the alley during Oktoberfest, great views, and we really look ***serious***, which has helped the business a lot. All in all, it was a good move, which was forced (by the closure of the old building) at an inopportune time (smack on top of a collapse of the economy).

Anyone who comes to visit will get a free piano performance if they ask. I'm trying to beat the stage fright thing. It's a problem I've never had with any other instrument.

I was once in your neck of the woods but I didn't find out until later you had a place there. I would have loved to see and play one of your violins, but it's probably for the better that I didn't. I'd likely have made a fool of myself trying to play something beyond my ability, and I might have done so clumsily enough to warrant a "let's play with our eyes, shall we".

Perhaps Janito's wannabe is a tongue-in-cheek self-description, since he has visited, in which case it's his call? :-)

I had not anticipated that possibility, and it adds all the context needed. :)

I had not anticipated that possibility, and it adds all the context needed. :)

That day there was a real maker and a wannabe turned up - funny thing is that we had professions in common.

Strado wrote:

"Anyone who comes to visit will get a free piano performance if they ask."

Ah, good! I would love listening to Prokofiev`s no. 8 sonata...

It's great to hear you have finished a new violin - would you be willing to give a little description of model and inspiration for it? I'm loving mine more every day - it has gotten very easy to play as I have become more familiar with it and I'm having no issues at all at the moment - just fun.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Ray.

The recent one is a very plainly-varnished Brothers Amati model, and sounds great. I sent it to a friend whose shop is in Rochester at Eastman Conservatory and who has been promoting my violins there.