Maestronet Forums

Are we seeing the beginnings of a hot new item

IBK

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Jackson-Guldan...=item414b9c15bc

I can't remember ever seeing a lowly Jackson Guldan violin go for $238.50 with 30 bids. We usually see them sell for between $75 and $100 (even the nicer ones) I have to stop using them for target practice :) :)

Perhaps this is the result of the resent "lively" discussion on another forum (Fiddle Shop....). It had 5505 viewings and 46 replies. There were some real "champions" of the Jackson-Guldan. I suspect a few of them got into a bidding war. I suppose "to each his own" applies. :)

Jerry

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Jackson-Guldan...=item414b9c15bc

I can't remember ever seeing a lowly Jackson Guldan violin go for $238.50 with 30 bids. We usually see them sell for between $75 and $100 (even the nicer ones) I have to stop using them for target practice :) :)

++++++++++++++

I have seen two Jackson Goldan violins for sale (online), at prices $570 and $650 respectively.

$239 , It is not out of line. I am surprised so many people wanted it. ( I don't buy a violin because it is a bargain.

I buy it only if like it. So are other people) The buyers may know something we , pseudo experts, do not know.

They buy it for the tone, who knows? Strad models, right?

• 4 weeks later...

I am a big fan of the "better" Jackson Guldan violins. Their quality varied from being very good to pretty much "violin shaped objects". My first one was the one marked "The Guldan" on the label. It was an earlier version and was as good as any of the better german imports of the time. I sold that years ago for $500.00, so $200 isn't a lot of money for a JGV. I never did like the lack of any style in their scrolls though...They seemed quite unfinished.

I have a soft spot for Jackson Guldans... that was the FIRST fiddle I bought on Ebay, signed by Charlie Bowman dated in the teens complete with rattlesnake rattle inside :) I took this VSO to a guy working at a place called Dusty Strings in Seattle which was more a harps and dulcimers shop but at the time had recently opened a fiddle shop as well. The guy was VERY nice about it, said that it was neat, old, signed by a known fiddler and that I "didn't pay too much" for it (I had paid $275....Yeep!). But what impressed me the most was how the guy took literally one glance at it and said, "This is a fiddle made by the Jackson Guldan company out of Columbus Ohio". At the time I thought that was just amazing that somebody could barely even look at a fiddle and know exactly who made it and where. This will sound silly, but that was pretty much the same moment I decided I wanted to learn how to identify fiddles.

That was 6 years ago, and "the guy" at Dusty Strings has his own shop in Seattle and he's been nice enough to try and teach me. I'm a slow learner but I've made some progress :) All because of a Jackson Guldan! And I still have that fiddle.

I have a soft spot for Jackson Guldans... that was the FIRST fiddle I bought on Ebay, signed by Charlie Bowman dated in the teens complete with rattlesnake rattle inside :) I took this VSO to a guy working at a place called Dusty Strings in Seattle which was more a harps and dulcimers shop but at the time had recently opened a fiddle shop as well. The guy was VERY nice about it, said that it was neat, old, signed by a known fiddler and that I "didn't pay too much" for it (I had paid $275....Yeep!). But what impressed me the most was how the guy took literally one glance at it and said, "This is a fiddle made by the Jackson Guldan company out of Columbus Ohio". At the time I thought that was just amazing that somebody could barely even look at a fiddle and know exactly who made it and where. This will sound silly, but that was pretty much the same moment I decided I wanted to learn how to identify fiddles.

That was 6 years ago, and "the guy" at Dusty Strings has his own shop in Seattle and he's been nice enough to try and teach me. I'm a slow learner but I've made some progress :) All because of a Jackson Guldan! And I still have that fiddle.

I think that most Americans have a soft spot for the Jackson Guldan violins because of their place in history. During WW II when violns were not avialable from Europe or from Japan, it was the Jacskon Guldan violin which supplied the US with its supply of new and inexpensive violins.

But what impressed me the most was how the guy took literally one glance at it and said, "This is a fiddle made by the Jackson Guldan company out of Columbus Ohio". At the time I thought that was just amazing that somebody could barely even look at a fiddle and know exactly who made it and where.

I had exactly the same experience when I showed a Jackson-Guldan to David Bromberg over 15 years ago. Now I can recognize a Jackson-Guldan at a glance, too. I wish I could recognize a Strad.

I had exactly the same experience when I showed a Jackson-Guldan to David Bromberg over 15 years ago. Now I can recognize a Jackson-Guldan at a glance, too. I wish I could recognize a Strad.

Nobody that I know of has tried to imitate a J-G.

Quality on them is all over the place. I have one apart right now that is very light, has gorgeous varnish, but no linings and a bass bar that looks like it was made with a hatchet. Others from different periods haven't been too bad, for what they are.