Sign in to follow this  
catnip

Finally Hi-Res pictures of #4

Recommended Posts

I just got a new digital camera so now I am able to post pictures with higher resolution than just 640 x 480. Here are some pictures of #4 copied from a Kruse poster. I got a copy of David Rattray book "Master pieces of Italian Violin Making" and I wanted to copy the copper-red color of the violin on the cover. The back had a dark flaw near the bottom which I was able to lighten with strong hydrogen peroxide. Now I have to learn how to take pictures with the flash.

post-24376-1260728469.jpg

post-24376-1260728536.jpg

post-24376-1260728498.jpg

post-24376-1260728518.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice wood, looks great. While still not over glossy, I like how the finish has a buffed up look to it. How about some pictures of the scroll and ribs? The fittings compliment very well.

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice going catnip!

The back looks even so the hydrogen peroxide did it's trick.

Can you remind me of what varnish/colouring method you used, since I am a bit clammy these days! :)

Can you tell us how it plays and sounds?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful looking violin.

If you really want to use a flash, locate it remotely from the camera so the reflection does not return to the camera.

However, with a digital camera and a stand/tripod, you should be able to use a regular lamp or several to highlight the violin without using the flash at all. You can use a flashlight at the lamp location(s) to check before taking the picture - or since it's a digital picture, just move the lamp and take pictures until you get what you want. Just be sure not to have any heavy spotlight directly above to the violin; the bulbs can explode and fall (I speak from a personal experience about 50 years ago).

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have given #4 to a friend of mine to play so I can not take any more pictures at this time.

I followed a modified method that Manfio has used and was kind enough to share with us (thanks Manfio). The top was treated with 5% sodium nitrite + sunlight, sealed with gelatin + a pinch of alum (2 coats) followed by some tea stain ( tea is slightly acidic and sodium nitrite is slightly alkaline). Then a light yellow alcohol stain to the top , back and scroll followed by a light red-purple alcohol stain applied with a cloth and hand rubbed. For the back and scroll I applied by hand a paste of mastic varnish + linseed oil + turpentine + tripoli. After two clear coats of varnish I followed that with a color of red-brown varnish with a pinch of burnt sienna and then just several coats red-brown oil varnish. Finally a few clear coats and polished with linseed oil and pumice.

Here are some other pictures I had

post-24376-1260991257.jpg

post-24376-1260991293.jpg

post-24376-1260992258.jpg

post-24376-1260992283.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work!!

My preference is a little less polish on the varnish....I was wondering if you find your market prefers this matte look or a more raw finish?

Also, can you tell us what wood was used and your comments on the sound?

Congratulations on a very fine instrument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.