Sign in to follow this  
Dean_Lapinel

To Martina Hawe

Martina,

Thank you for the reference in the other post about the James Ehnes "Homage" CD/DVD set. That is simply incredible. Beautiful music from the Fulton collection, close up shots , rotating views...unbelievable. Your lord Wilton is so much closer to reality than I thought based on the flat view in the Biddulph two volume set. I understood to a certain level, Melvin's mention that he goes to the museum often when he makes a copy. I understand this even more now.

I hope everyone gets a chance to see this CD/DVD.

Thanks again Martina for opening my eyes.

I, too, ordered the Homage CD/DVD set after Martina mentioned it. It's a great set, but probably more enjoyable for a player/listener (listening to Ehnes's great playing) than it is for a maker wanting to examine, up close, some great violins. The lighting on the rotating violins is a bit on the subtle side, enhancing the artistic appearance of the instruments by introducing shadowed and lighted areas on the turning violins, but somewhat at the expense of a very clear, strongly lighted view of all the surface details.

My fantasy DVD is: Someone discovers a large set of classic Italian violins, never seen before by current dealers. The instruments are displayed in all their details in still photos and in rotating shots on the DVD. The instruments are then given, one by one, to Charles Beare, and, as the cameras roll, Beare gives his off the top of his head thoughts about what he's viewing, more or less thinking out loud as he examines these fiddles that he's never seen before. The camera moves in for close ups of the details Beare is currently discussing.

If not Charles Beare making such a DVD, then one from Christopher Reuning, Jeffrey Holmes, or others experienced in violin identification and evaluation would be fascinating, and would certainly get my money.

No doubt, anybody, including Beare, might be mistaken in their initial evaluation of some previously unseen instrument. I would hope that both evaluating expert and audience would be willing to accept that these are initial, perhaps, somewhat tentative judgments, that will not reflect badly on anybody's expertise. It would be a shame to hamper the free flow of the expert's thoughts for fear of giving a wrong answer. The audience would have to understand that there is no "right answer," just an opportunity to observe the process used by an expert who is very likely to arrive at a right answer.

Skiingfiddler....It is a wonderful fantasy that you present. I have the greatest respect for all the expert names you mention....one reason that they are accepted as experts is that they do not speak untill they are sure..

Skiingfiddler....It is a wonderful fantasy that you present. I have the greatest respect for all the expert names you mention....one reason that they are accepted as experts is that they do not speak untill they are sure..

Being sure...that's true. But what I like about this group is the concept of continuity of knowledge acquirement. Charles Beare has had the integrity to change his mind about an appraisal he did some 20 years earlier because he now knows more. I wouldn't respect the fellow that stood heels in the ground and refused to change a document of this nature. The field is not perfect and it takes a talented brave soul to allow for this vulnerability.

Ditto on Skiingfiddler's note :) No...I'm not a dittohead.

Back to the DVD though. I couldn't tell that the Lord Wilton in the Biddulph book had such a deep channel on the back plate near the button until I saw this DVD. That doesn't show well in the book.

The other thing I really like is the photos of the corners that Bruce has been sharing with us. These are wonderful and quite revealing.

Back to the DVD though. I couldn't tell that the Lord Wilton in the Biddulph book had such a deep channel on the back plate near the button until I saw this DVD. That doesn't show well in the book.

Yes.....It does not show up on current diagrams because of time constraints and the limitations of measurement methods.

I ordered the CD/DVD last Christmas when I first saw it mentioned here at MN (can't remember by whom), and I'm very glad I did! The music is on my iPod, and is among my most-listened to music. And I've watched the DVD a number of times - you don't get tired of this stuff!

Martina,

Thank you for the reference in the other post about the James Ehnes "Homage" CD/DVD set. That is simply incredible. Beautiful music from the Fulton collection, close up shots , rotating views...unbelievable. Your lord Wilton is so much closer to reality than I thought based on the flat view in the Biddulph two volume set. I understood to a certain level, Melvin's mention that he goes to the museum often when he makes a copy. I understand this even more now.

I hope everyone gets a chance to see this CD/DVD.

Thanks again Martina for opening my eyes.

Dean, I´m glad you´re enjoying the movies :)

martina