Life Of A Violin?

Hi all,

I think a violin could reach the end of its life if the owner does not use good care as in his or her possesion.Here are two sad examples.

Any wise thoughts? ( I bought them to revive their useful lives, but failed) First one has a lot internal; injuries which

do not show, second is obvious)

post-5682-1260409249.jpg

post-5682-1260409303.jpg

Hi all,

I think a violin could reach the end of its life if the owner does not use good care as in his or her possesion.Here are two sad examples.

Any wise thoughts? ( I bought them to revive their useful lives, but failed) First one has a lot internal; injuries which

There are two possible approaches. One, you could use these to develop your restoration skills. If you are not 100% successful, no big loss. If you are successful you will feel very good about your skills.

The second approach is to use these instruments for wood where old wood is needed for repair work.

This type of instrument is good for scrap wood where you might need a piece of old maple for doubling or a piece of spruce for a top repair.

I have a bin full of this type of instrument and I can tell you that on many occasions I was glad to have a piece of wood with a particular grain or figure to use in conjunction with a repair or restoration.

Hi all,

Hi Yuen,

I think IBK has the right idea on both counts. This would be a great chance to practice your repair / reconstruction skills. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If you fail, which I dont think you will, you have some nice repair wood for later projects.

The first one looks salvagable. With a strip down and a new varnish job it might look totally different. What are the internal injuries? Im sure there is nothing in there that cannot be repaired.

The second one, well why not try to repair it and see how far you can go with it. It looks like it will be quite a challenge, but then I know that you like a challenge. You could certainlly practice your real verses fake cracks on this one.

Good luck and happy repairing.

Tony :)

Mail them to me, I will fix them.

Yes.

Good call.

They're not beyond fixing, are they?

"Any wise thoughts?"

It depends on how hungry (or energetic) you are.

One time, many years ago, I bought a box of junk violins for $10.00.

No kidding - from the wife of the guy that used to do repairs for the school district - who had passed away. They were in his garage in a box in many many pieces. They looked like years of failed repair projects.

One of them, which was, I guess about a hundred years old, and was once a decent fiddle, & really fun to rebuild, I sold to a local fiddler for $750.00. (she loves that violin) I believe I could have asked 1,500 for it.

Several of them sold around the $300 - $350 mark.

As I recall, I gave some of the crapier ones away.

Just the violins, no cases no bows.

Not a fortune, I know, but a better way to pay the rent (and hone your chops) than putting fries in the frier. The nice thing about violins like this, is that you have nothing to lose. Just for kicks, you could learn to bush peg holes, revarnish, or, put a soundpost patch in one of them...

Hi Fellow

The second violin is without hope and never was much good but the first violin you show looks like a good instrument that should at least in undamaged condition and even repaired, with a good adjustment be good to play on. Even tho it has had a hard life it is not without merit. Please show us some scroll shots taken from the side.....

Hi Fellow

The second violin is without hope and never was much good but the first violin you show looks like a good instrument that should at least in undamaged condition and even repaired, with a good adjustment be good to play on. Even tho it has had a hard life it is not without merit. Please show us some scroll shots taken from the side.....

I kind of like the first fiddle also. At first I thought it was one of the Czeck violins with the integral bass bar but the arching is high and the channels a little deeper than what I've seen. I wouldn't mind peeking inside.

I treasure Fellow's photos, so here is another 'homey' view with what might be a tool for adjusting the soundpost position.

I know no one is going to take me seriously, but I believe I'd leave that violin as is - I like the way it looks, it has a certain, in your face, "Willy Nelson's guitar-like", charm...

I know no one is going to take me seriously, but I believe I'd leave that violin as is - I like the way it looks, it has a certain, in your face, "Willy Nelson's guitar-like", charm...

Yes, but have you ever heard Willie's Guitar? Without being buried in the mix of other instruments? I once heard him play a few lines unaccompanied. For as famous as this six string is, it is one of the worst sounding guitars I have ever heard. :)

Yes, but have you ever heard Willie's Guitar? Without being buried in the mix of other instruments? I once heard him play a few lines unaccompanied. For as famous as this six string is, it is one of the worst sounding guitars I have ever heard. :)

OK, I'll buy that.

Still, as that particular guitar might have a value assigned to it by virtue of having been owned by, played by, and seen in the possession of Willy Nelson hisself - so too this violin might suffer the same exponential increase in valuation by virtue of having been owned by and subject to so much scrutiny whilst being the property of Yuen.

I could name it the Ex-Yuen.

Seen in this light, , its collectors value might well be incalculable...

I can picture it now, in the Sotheby’s catalog for the year 2012;

Offering these outstanding violins for sale at auction;

1. The Cannone (Ex-Paganini) - By Giuseppe Antonio Guarneri (Guarneri del Gesu) of Cremona - 1743

2. The Davidoff - By Antonio Stradivari of Cremona - 1708

3. The Ex -Yuen - By God alone knows who of Czecho-Slovakia - made whenever

4. The Betts - By Antonio Stradivari of Cremona- 1704

5. Etc., etc., etc. -on down the line…

OK, I'll buy that.

Still, as that particular guitar might have a value assigned to it by virtue of having been owned by, played by, and seen in the possession of Willy Nelson hisself - so too this violin might suffer the same exponential increase in valuation by virtue of having been owned by and subject to so much scrutiny whilst being the property of Yuen.

I could name it the Ex-Yuen.

Seen in this light, , its collectors value might well be incalculable...

I can picture it now, in the Sotheby’s catalog for the year 2012;

Offering these outstanding violins for sale at auction;

1. The Cannone (Ex-Paganini) - By Giuseppe Antonio Guarneri (Guarneri del Gesu) of Cremona - 1743

2. The Davidoff - By Antonio Stradivari of Cremona - 1708

3. The Ex -Yuen - By God alone knows who of Czecho-Slovakia - made whenever

4. The Betts - By Antonio Stradivari of Cremona- 1704

5. Etc., etc., etc. -on down the line…

+++++++++++++

All the sudden I become famus. It is me or the violin? I am confused.

Well I take whatever fame I can get. Just don't call me next Stradivari

the guy who put labels on every violin. It was too much. No one can make

that many,you know. :)

Antonius Fellow Crementis, Faciebat, Anno 2009 ( close enough?) :) :) B)

Another Tony's violin.

post-5682-1260799275.jpg

I was lucky to purchase one before the prices skyrocketed...

(Fellow, this is the fifteen minutes of fame that Andy Warhol promised you!)

++++++++++

I am sure you will agree with me that this is NOT a Strad.

Something Tony could not possiblely make it. :) He had not gotten that varnish.

post-5682-1260799473.jpg

I treasure Fellow's photos, so here is another 'homey' view with what might be a tool for adjusting the soundpost position.

Is the secret out?????

Are Janito and Yuen one and the same person?

If not, Janito must be very good at fixing up pictures i.e. the violin in Janito's pic is the same as the one posted by Yuen.

Hmmmmmm! :)

Tony

Is the secret out?????

Are Janito and Yuen one and the same person?

If not, Janito must be very good at fixing up pictures i.e. the violin in Janito's pic is the same as the one posted by Yuen.

Alas, we are not the same person, but we may both have been reincarnated from related gastropods.

As regards the photos, I know a collectable when I see one (no need for Photoshop).