Sign in to follow this  
Wm. Johnston

Unwelcome Workshop Guests

I hear that we have rattlesnakes in this part of Colorado but haven't seen one in these parts since I worked in Golden several years ago.

I don't know about Golden -- but the rattlesnakes in Utah were of little consequence. Not much worse than a scorpion sting, so I've heard. No first-hand knowledge.

Far different than the timber rattlers in Northern California logging country, where my dad still lives. And the thought of cottonmouths, yikes!

There is of course another type of unwelcome workshop guest. That is the person(s) who turn up without appointment just as you are about to glue a centre joint.

I thought that only happened to me. :) But usually it's with phone calls since I almost never have customers without an appointment.

Many a caller (including my Dad) has received a terse greeting like,

"Gluing, call back." Slam.

I'm usually not too afraid of things like this but when you're walking across your shop to plug in a bandsaw and you stop with this thing dangling from the ceiling a foot from your face it's a little different. In a day or two I'll forget this happened and will stop looking for spiders before I put my clothes on.

Ouch, isnt that spider a black widow? I think those are the jumpy type too, that means double the danger.

Yeah... My wife still isn't used to that one... :)

Got mine pretty well trained, and I'd offer her for coaching, but they might start to share horror stories, and then we'd both be screwed. :)

I once had a customer show up on a Sunday, actually, an older couple I did not know, at 8am, on December 23rd, 2007, for a rehair. The expression I telegraphed was uncannily similar to this: :)

I got a call on Sunday afternoon with an "Emergency".

Upcoming performance, soundpost fell over.

She arrived, I put up the soundpost, cello sounds good.

(I don't normally charge for this service)

She then waltzes out the door with nary a thank you. Not even an offer to pay.

I'd welcome the snake back in before her.

~OK

~OK

If the cello came from you, I can understand your not charging for the sound post adjustment. If the cello did not come from your shop, you are much too kind.

I would send her a bill with a 10% sur charge for Sunday service and the cost of the postage stamp

Joes cat reminds me of my 2 rotten children who the smaller of the two decided to jump on my bench one day and proceed to "Love" on a top plate - 3 hours later scraping teeth marks...

If the cello came from you, I can understand your not charging for the sound post adjustment. If the cello did not come from your shop, you are much too kind.

I would send her a bill with a 10% sur charge for Sunday service and the cost of the postage stamp

I don't normally charge for resetting a post back up. Generally it takes me about 5 minutes. When the client offers to pay, I hand them a bunch of business cards and say there is no charge but 'your job is to pass out these card's. Everyone seems pleased with the arrangement. Having the sound post fall over is traumatic.

I've never had anyone assume that it was my obligation to do this on a Sunday afternoon.

BTW one of the other shops in town charges a minimum of $30 to set up a fallen soundpost because it takes them at least 30 minutes to do it!

Of course, if the post seriously doesn't fit, or if there is time consuming post adjustments needed, then I charge my usual hourly fee.

Oded

~OK

Yes...I had the same experience....maybe we all have and it is the same person!

A violinist who I had never met before phoned me in tears out of hours one saturday evening. Her tail gut had broken and she had an important concert the next day. I had to cancell my evening plans to wait for her to turn up and she was delighted when I put her violin back together into happy playing order. I wsn't actually going to charge her but as soon as she had her violin back she announced that she had left home without bringing any means of payment and did not actually seem embarrassed. She did not even try to pay or make a show of wanting to do so in any way nor did she pop round a few days later with a bottle of wine nor send a card to say thanks. It was as if having her violin fixed out of hours for free was her entitlement. Never heard from her again and would not want to.

Yes...I had the same experience....maybe we all have and it is the same person!

A violinist who I had never met before phoned me in tears out of hours one saturday evening. Her tail gut had broken and she had an important concert the next day. I had to cancell my evening plans to wait for her to turn up and she was delighted when I put her violin back together into happy playing order. I wsn't actually going to charge her but as soon as she had her violin back she announced that she had left home without bringing any means of payment and did not actually seem embarrassed. She did not even try to pay or make a show of wanting to do so in any way nor did she pop round a few days later with a bottle of wine nor send a card to say thanks. It was as if having her violin fixed out of hours for free was her entitlement. Never heard from her again and would not want to.

It seems that there is a small percentage of players who don't appreciate the uncommon skills of the violin maker. We need to do something to change that.

Got mine pretty well trained, and I'd offer her for coaching, but they might start to share horror stories, and then we'd both be screwed. :)

So horror stories do the trick, do they? :)

You really ARE generous in sharing pertinent methodology.

So horror stories do the trick, do they? :)

Not really. Nothing does. All we can do is remember the good old days, before their passion shifted to fluffy curtains, way more pillows on the bed than anyone could possibly use, lots of doilies, and a bathroom full of 27 brands of skin potion, each with enough mysterious and magical ingredients to make a varnish maker envious. :)

Not really. Nothing does. All we can do is remember the good old days, before their passion shifted to fluffy curtains, way more pillows on the bed than anyone could possibly use, lots of doilies, and a bathroom full of 27 brands of skin potion, each with enough mysterious and magical ingredients to make a varnish maker envious. :)

Ouch!

Prior to this post - I thought you were just joking around.

Ouch!

Prior to this post - I thought you were just joking around.

I thought I was too. That is, I think I was. Sometimes I think I was, and then it turns out to be a joke that turns out to be serious. Like, I make a joke about some bizarre way to do a repair or something, and then I realize, "Hey, that might actually be good idea." B)

That's aside from all the times that I post something, only realizing later that it could be taken in a completely different way than I intended. Is that what happened here, but I don't get it yet? :)

Does anybody else have thoughts that completely surprise them and catch them off guard..... like you didn't see it coming? I tell ya, it's not easy being me. :)

No Craig, I don't have my woman trained. As far as I can tell, they're completely and utterly domestically untrainable. Just when you think you have them trained and everything is going smoothly, they chase you down the street with a golf club, over something totally trivial..... :)

Maybe there's one thing. She never walks into the room when the bandsaw is running. She figured that out on her own though.

Truth be known, they train and control us, so kiss fantasies to the contrary goodbye!

I thought I was too. That is, I think I was. Sometimes I think I was, and then it turns out to be a joke that turns out to be serious. Like, I make a joke about some bizarre way to do a repair or something, and then I realize, "Hey, that might actually be good idea." :)

"Not really. Nothing does. All we can do is remember the good old days, before their passion shifted to fluffy curtains, way more pillows on the bed than anyone could possibly use, lots of doilies, and a bathroom full of 27 brands of skin potion, each with enough mysterious and magical ingredients to make a varnish maker envious."

End quote

My inference was only this; this IS my wife. No joke.

I wish there was some sort of legal ground to limit the amount of doilies allowed in a single unit dwelling...

And what's the deal with the pillows?

Seriously, she's with decorating like I am with the violins.

Very well, but don't come cryin' to me with your 3-iron wounds, from taking a few innocent "dips in the stock tank" with the groupies you meet at your Glasser Bow History book signing. :)

Very well, but don't come cryin' to me with your 3-iron wounds, from taking a few innocent "dips in the stock tank" with the groupies you meet at your Glasser Bow History book signing. :)

Just don't mess with my good right hand...I need it to sign autographs.

Joe