Sign in to follow this  
martina hawe

another recent fiddle

My eyes are not well educated to look at details level, I rather look at the whole first then I try to pick up details in the long run, with the help of responses from more trained eyes. I just see little region under fingerboard looks shiny comparing to whole.

Very nice, an other reference for me.

From one far less skillful...

There appears to be some glossiness on the top around the fingerboard that could be rubbed out.

The outline of back near the button looks just a tad flatter than the original.

Otherwise, a very convincing copy. Especially the scroll. Colors look right, too.

I should be done with my #2 and post photos in a few weeks, and you should be able to find more to critique on that.

No critique Martina! Nice work!

But I don`t like Violinsphotos include chinrest. Anyway not importent just my taste. I like the Harald Lorenz fittings. Hard to get it in boxwood at the moment.

Do you use a SLR Camera?

Great work!

I like the varnish and antiquing very much.

I guess it is an interpretation of the "Lord Wilton"?

If so, very good wood selection on the back. It is probably due to distortion of the photo, but the C-bouts and f-holes look a bit shorter than on the Lord Wilton, but I might be wrong.

The mouth of the scroll is a bit too square for my taste, but maybe it is like that on the original, too.

Congratulations on a nice violin! You should post your work more often.

Matthias

Martina,

The purfling and edge work look very convincing, actually the whole thing looks convincing. Nice job. We have some very talented makers here on MN. You and Melvin have given us something special to look at and study. Thanks for posting.

Berl

I like the shading on the back especially. It seems like that wear pattern adds a lot to the look of any violin. Looks convincing, but not overdone. Very nice. I have one almost done, my fourth, and I guarantee mine will have more to critique.

Ken

Hi

Thanks for your comments and observations! (and sorry about the late reply)

I agree about the flatness in outline around the button area, it´s also accentuated by the wonkily convex purfling and will be taken more care of next time.

Selim and Don, the glare next to the fingerboard sticks out merely on the photo, the rest of the varnished areas are a tad more glossy than on the picture.

Michael, sorry about not taking off the chinrest I was in a hurry useing the bit of sunshine coming out through the clouds for taking the pictures that I forgot to remove it... I´m not hiding anything underneath it :)

My camera is digital SLR, I placed the instrument underneath roof top window and used daylight only.

Matthias, you´re right about length of f holes, very good eye! The bass f hole is about 1,5mm longer on the original and yes, it is based on the Lord Wilton. C bouts are the same length more or less.

I left the throat of the scroll straight off the saw to be authentic and the shape and size is close to the original, not very asthetic I agree.

Thanks to James Ehnes DVD I had the chance to see more details than you´d see on the poster.

For the antiquing part I wish I could have taken off more varnish to get down to bare wood in certain areas but my ground was too light in colour underneath and it started to look funny so I decided to stop.

Ken, I´m happy to have made your day :)

But study the originals instead of my attempts!

thanks to all for your kind words

Martina

Very nice indeed, what else is there to see (or hear, I presume) in that James Ehnes DVD? Something you'd recommend?

Hi Magnus

I guess you know that the VDV features the Fulton collection. What I enjoy most about it is the presentation of each instrument, slowly turning round in front of the camera, some close up. It´s great to see archings and many more details. Certainly worth getting it. And nice playing too!

Martina

Excellent and lovely edgework with lots of friendly "del Gesu" character. I like the occasional wonkiness of the outline (like the upper back) and purfling.

The sloping outline of the upper treble bout must make it easier for the player to access the fingerboard, too. Very cool.

The worn and slightly mottled varnish is quite handsome!

How does it sound?