Maestronet Forums

Heresy - guitar style tuners?

AMORI

After having built a good number of violins of various descriptions, I moved over to building guitars 2 years ago. Now, I have a commission for a modern

electric violin and would like to know if members here know of the availability of guitar style machine heads for violins (not the Knilling type tuners

though)

The attached photo shows a previous design of mine where I mounted guitar tuners at the tailpiece side, now I want to mount them at the more

"conventional" side at the end of the fingerboard (oops, I can't work out how to post a photo).

If you google image "Waverly style guitar tuners", you will see a plethora of guitar tuners that would arguably be the least heavy of the conventional style open back acoustic tuners. This would be my choice for mechanical tuners in an unconventional violin, but banjo tuners like those mentioned by Rokovak might also work well. Any sealed guitar tuner will add mass uneccessarily, although I reserve the right to be wrong on this point. It could just as well be an illusion, and perhaps the covers on some tuners are very light, in spite their bulky appearance. You can pay hundreds of dollars for a set of Genuine Waverly tuners, but I have seen very respectable reproductions for as little as $23 for a set of six, or $46 for three sets of four :)

IMHO: I think that a good quality ebony or rosewood peg set, properly fitted and lubricated in conjunction with 4 string adjusters on the tailpiece is the best solution. A bit old fashion? yes, but they don't require any alteration of the peg box or need special bushings, screws or proprietary reamers. and they are easily replaced at little cost. I have seen many mechanical pegs become a disaster when they age and the components wear out.

Having said all of that , I think that the planetary type is probably the best of what is availaable, although they do require some alteration and are costly.

Thanks gentlemen, I'll look into these possibilities.

How does one attach an image?

Hi Amori, trust you are well...

This is how I do it

1. You have the image ready on your hard drive somewhere.

2. Then click on the button circled in red (picture below) when you write your post.

3. Then press UPLOAD

4. Then press Manage Currrent Attachments (above UPLOAD) and click on your picture

5. It should then appear somewhere in your reply looking like this

Hope it works for you! :)

Albertus Bekker

www.bekkerviolins.com

post-2441-1259331831.jpg

Thanks Chet. Making mostly guitars nowadays, I use Stewmac a lot, the tuners you see on the attached (above) pic are from Stewmac.

I hav'nt has much to do with violins in the last 2 years and I just wondered if something new had come onto the market. I'm currently designing and building

Thanks Chet. Making mostly guitars nowadays, I use Stewmac a lot, the tuners you see on the attached (above) pic are from Stewmac.

I hav'nt has much to do with violins in the last 2 years and I just wondered if something new had come onto the market.

I'm currently designing and building my first electric guitar and am using headless tuners handmade in Germany, would have been nice if something like this were available for (electric) violins.

post-5641-1259561562.jpg

I hav'nt has much to do with violins in the last 2 years and I just wondered if something new had come onto the market.

I'm currently designing and building my first electric guitar and am using headless tuners handmade in Germany, would have been nice if something like this were available for (electric) violins.

Nice-looking work. My son builds guitars (both electric and acoustic)-- he would like that look, I think. He is currently at the Galloup school, in Michigan. He's been building for some time, but this is the first formal training he has received.

Now, I have a commission for a modern

electric violin and would like to know if members here know of the availability of guitar style machine heads for violins (not the Knilling type tuners

though)

Hi AMORI,

George Heinl & Co of Toronto carry a good selection of mechanical tuners. Their website is under construction but you can download their catalog from here : http://www.georgeheinl.com/pages/store

Tony :)

Long time no speak Craig, nice to hear from you and see that you are still active here.

Your son is going to enjoy making guitars and it's great that he can get formal training.

I have missed my violin making (my favourite instrument) but I have really enjoyed

the guitars as I have a bit more freedom with artistic expression. I've made 5 classicals,

a jazz archtop and I'm busy making a steel string. The electric follows......

The electric violin I'm designing is from the same "school" as this electric guitar.

Most of my work is quite modern, but not always. I do respect tradition but there are more than enough people already making

traditional "things". I make my living designing modern furniture (google murraykuun).

I have not made a final decision about those "modular linkages". Possibly aluminium? I've made an MDF prototype and used

12mm aluminium which looks quite good. Maybe teflon, I'm not sure yet......

Most of my work is quite modern, but not always. I do respect tradition but there are more than enough people already making

traditional "things". I make my living designing modern furniture (google murraykuun).

I have not made a final decision about those "modular linkages". Possibly aluminium? I've made an MDF prototype and used

12mm aluminium which looks quite good. Maybe teflon, I'm not sure yet......

Real nice stuff. I like it. :)